YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > The Fab Shop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

hates twitter
First fab work, Done

my first fab project is done, well this is the first finished one; the rear bumper was started before it... and the welding table... me ADD no.

the receiver for my front bumper, I cut it out of an old hitch that was on an old truck...

Click the image to open in full size.

hopefully ill get it at least spotted into the bumper in the am.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by 20ozjolt; 11-29-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (10)

Practice makes better welds.

:wabbit2:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

hates twitter
I know,and am, it has good penetration and i went a little overkill, i tried a few new techniques on it after the main beads were in for the practice as it will be covered up. my stops and going around corners need more work.

Last edited by 20ozjolt; 11-29-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

finished product?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

hates twitter
im in FL at the moment can do when i get home.

i took it into a local fab shop to heave it welded in, the guys response was "why" "if you really want me to weld it in I can but your welds will work fine". "but if you really want i can do it later" so I got my first inverted practice in that day, not bad but the slag does funny things. I need welding clothes lost my favorite pair of 5.11 TDU's that day

it pasted its first tests, moving a trailer around the property, and getting yanked out of a hole by it.

Last edited by 20ozjolt; 12-30-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Red face

Lots and Lots of practice!! Take a class or two to keep from picking up bad habits.

Which are real hard to unlearn.

I give you credit for showing them to the world.

Just curious what process did you use??
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

hates twitter
oh i know, I took manufacturing classes in HS and its more of relearning..., the local CC`s all want you to be in their programs and not just taking a few classes the only issue there is that they have a 6 mo to 1 year wait list...

As far as process slight c pattern pausing on the ends for the first beads then I just fu&&ed around trying out stitching and Z`s on top of them.
7018ac stick...

as far as showing it to the world eh my friends have never welded, and you guys are down right nice compared the critiques on the welding forums
but I am learning a lot... and spending a lot on rods.

now that I`m home i can blast it and paint it then make the new plate for the bumper.

Last edited by 20ozjolt; 01-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

I say you'll never be good unless ya try! Looks good, and if it passed its first two tests it can't be too bad....i'm wanting to take some welding classes soon.. nice thing to know how to do IMO.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

try j hooking....always worked best for me basically just elongate one side of the C
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Inu

7018 loves heat in flat but overhead tends to pool. On 1/8 rod i used to run 95 on over head to keep a handle on it. 6013 is a little more forgiving and a great general use rod after a base of 6010 or 6011 to burn out any grime.
95 4runner 3slow Auto, reground cams, Flame Thrower oversize injectors( better mpg baby), K&N drop-in, Bj spacers, 2.5 in coil spacers, Poly A-Arm bushings, Trail gear front bumper, custom sliders and rear bumper, and tranny skid.
Inu's black hole
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement