The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!

OK so as many already know I have had many issues with my 3.4 and its electrical. I got tired of searching for parts and having many failed attempts of getting it running how It should and how I wanted. So I went out and got this

If you dont know what it is well then

Engine:
96 Chevy 4.3L V6 CPI
AA Headers Had to modify cause AA is kinda dumb haha
Custom Crossover
2.5" Straight exhaust with Flowmaster
AEM custom Intake
Lincoln 4.6 V8 Electric 2speed radiator Fan
GMC Box van Aluminum radiator (mounted in the rear)
Mr. Gasket Stainless steel flex 4' radiator lines with copper tube under body
Optima red top
Custom Wiring Harness
Solid mounted engine (custom mounts)
Summit Racing Mini Starter

Drivetrain:
Self Rebuilt R150f 5 speed swap
Dual T/C's MC10R10 stock gearing in both
85' solid axle trussed, geared, Lonfield 30 spline axles, Drive flanges and Air locked
Rear axle trussed, geared and Welded
5.29's
High angle Drivelines

Suspension:
Allpro front and Rear springs
5" front and 5.5" 56" long rear (rear springs minus overload leaf)
Bilsteins 5150's Front and 5125's Rear
Allpro Hy-Steer

Tires and Wheels:
39x13.5 Iroks
black Procomp Wheels 15X10

Other cool stuff:
Marlin Custom Sliders
Flatbelly with Custom crossmember
Custom center console and shifters
Ford gas tank in rear between frame rails with custom skidplate
MSD external Fuel pump with custom Bypass
Sparco Sprint 5 seats front
Chopped and bobbed
Power steering Cooler

Towing:
1998 Chevy 1500 Long bed (need bigger more powerful)
Small block 5.7 350
Cherry bomb straight exhaust
21' Home Build Trailer
Dual Axle
Widened 6"
Built brakes
Built suspension

To come!
So much I cant begin!

You may wonder why Chevy??? Well first off its American, Very simple, cheap and powerful.
Its a great fit and perfect choice for toyotas.

Other work has been done to the runner including
Electrical removal from dash (again )

Ive got plans also for a rear radiator and so the front section was cut and there is a perfect reason why and you shall all see when the time comes

Tube front clip is gonna be in the works so dont worry Im sure youll all like the outcome

Motor mounts removed. Custom ones for the new motor will be added once I get the new adapters for the 4.3 to my tranny and can mock it all up.

God I love the Grinder and (maybe too much)

Fenders are on to trick the neighbors

More pics to come soon so sit back and enjoy the ride I know I will

If you have yet to see part 1 of my build well then check out this link Fillsrunner4 3.4 crawler -pic heavy! Part One

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 11-18-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, looking sweet man!

Seeing all these awesome builds is making me want a trail rig really bad.

I'll be watching this thread closely!

Fink
Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Dude, looking sweet man!

Seeing all these awesome builds is making me want a trail rig really bad.

I'll be watching this thread closely!

Fink
Its awesome to be able to actually be doing this build and still have a daily driver. I recommend every one do such things if you can. I spend just about every hard earned dollar on this project but in My eyes its all worth it cause I know im only on this earth for a short time so I best be doing what I love and thats building and playing

Thanks dude and ill be updating as soon as I get more done. Hopefully I can actually get it out there again instead of always building
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM

very nice engine fill it was a vortec very good choice good luck with the build ye only problems i found out is with cooling you made a good choice on radiator preference im thinking of going same route sooner than later runs cooler now but still alittle warm ill find out on the trail
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by john rumbo
very nice engine fill it was a vortec very good choice good luck with the build ye only problems i found out is with cooling you made a good choice on radiator preference im thinking of going same route sooner than later runs cooler now but still alittle warm ill find out on the trail
Ya its gonna be nice with the radiator in the back. Its gonna save me tons of room in front which will help when I cage it to give me way better approach angles. Ive got the plans in my head about how im gonna be doing the lines to the back and the front clip. Should work perfectly! Im gonna look into an aluminum radiator soon so it has better cooling and my fan should be perfect also. I need some steel to do the cage but I figure getting the motor in and running is the first priority. I hope with in the next few weeks I can get most the work done. You know how long these things take to get done aspecialy with working full time Oh well its gonna be sweet to get her back out on the trails and it should be better than ever (Fingers crossed )

Good to hear yours is doing good We need to hit up some trails once I get mine goin
Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Ya its gonna be nice with the radiator in the back. Its gonna save me tons of room in front which will help when I cage it to give me way better approach angles. Ive got the plans in my head about how im gonna be doing the lines to the back and the front clip. Should work perfectly! Im gonna look into an aluminum radiator soon so it has better cooling and my fan should be perfect also. I need some steel to do the cage but I figure getting the motor in and running is the first priority. I hope with in the next few weeks I can get most the work done. You know how long these things take to get done aspecialy with working full time Oh well its gonna be sweet to get her back out on the trails and it should be better than ever (Fingers crossed )

Good to hear yours is doing good We need to hit up some trails once I get mine goin
ye it takes a while but while you dont have it done its like the night before the fist day of school you cant sleep waiting for that day
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM

ye it takes a while but while you dont have it done its like the night before the fist day of school you cant sleep waiting for that day
Well kinda I never really looked forward to school

More like couldnt sleep cause I dreaded it

But I get your point

Its always in my head night and day ALWAYS
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM

you mentioned stock hp is 195, is that how much you will have?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spence1016
you mentioned stock hp is 195, is that how much you will have?
Depends on what all I do to it performance wise. I may buy or build my own headers for more power. It will have a straight exhaust with just a flowmaster muffler for the low end back pressure, custom intake will be made, and new plugs wires and few other misc things to help aid in HP will be added. Im not sure yet what I will have for final HP (could be more or less) but its gonna be more than the old 3.4 had for sure. It has more stock torque too. Also I can supercharge it to get more if I ever want it

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 07-20-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:25 AM

very good research flow master 50 sounds great gives good power increases to these engines and headers will open it up
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM

very good research flow master 50 sounds great gives good power increases to these engines and headers will open it up
Pretty sure my FM is the 40 series but all the same it sounds great and gives great backpressure and performance. Im thinkin about headers but I think for now Im gonna stick with the manifolds at least until I get it running. Just so I dont do what I did with the 3.4 and spend hella money and not get very good results. Once I get her running ill focus more on performance upgrades.

My friend works for a machine shop and we were talking about making a set of headers which would be cool to do. His shop is also getting a real nice tig welder soon so I might just have to put it to good use and build some sick headers instead of buying some

Got to love custom one of a kind work
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

lookin good!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
lookin good!
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM

So, when you comming out to CA to help me with my 3.4 swap?

Well, unless you want to!

haha, can't wait to see it done!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
So, when you comming out to CA to help me with my 3.4 swap?

Well, unless you want to!

haha, can't wait to see it done!
You bring it up here and will see what I can do Cali and I dont really get along so well Too damn hot for me and my light skin.

Will see about it someday
Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 AM

HAHA, well, ill just take a week off work and head up there! Ill leave tomorrow! lol.

I get kind of worried that the 3.0 will pop a head gasket one day. And don't really want that to happen since it is my DD. But i imagine, i will save my financial aid money from the college for a 3.4, along with my paychecks.

About how much does the 3.4 swap cost? Just looking for a rough estimate. ORS list was between $2000-$4500 i think. Ive priced about $2000 for the engine/wiring. So with all the other stuff, would it fall in between that price?

Last edited by 904_runner; 07-21-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM

I get this question alot It always changes. I would not recomend the Kits sold as most of the parts you can run down and get at NAPA and what not for way cheaper. I would look for a full rig to take the motor out yourself that way you have everything. Best and easiest way to do the swap is that way.

I spliced my own harness using as little as possible to make it run. If you have a 5speed youll be golden. Look for a 5speed truck or 4runner too as it will make for less wiring nightmare IMO

Ide say ORS is right about the cost it could be between 1500 and 5000 it truely depends on what you get and how much you do to it.

Headers, intake, exhaust work, wiring, ect can all add up quick. Like I said before the best thing to do is get an entire donor rig to pull from so you get absolutly everything

Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM

This 4.3 swap is also a great choice for motors to replace your 3.0. A little more custom stuff but it puts out loads of power and tourqe. Even more than the 3.4's

Ill detail as much as I can on this build so you can get the idea on both 3.4 (part 1) and 4.3 swaps (part 2)

Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 AM

I want to buy a donor truck sooo bad, but my parents are retarted and don't want another truck in the driveway for a month, or how ever long it takes.

I was thinking about trying to get one from Rancho Toyota truck, but it just came to my attention a few days ago that there is someone in the family who owns a wrecking yard. Not sure if its toyota but if it is, id be in buisness., if not, he could probably refer me to someone who could help me out

I was thinking about splicing the wiring myself, not sure yet.
As far as the exhaust, still haven't decided about headers over the ors crossover.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Anywho, enuff with the chatting! lol

Wheres the pics of the new Engine going in?

Quick Reply: Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!