The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Custom Clutch/Shifter Idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Hand clutch on the shifter has been done.

hand throttle is easier, and has almost the exact same effect. The throttle requires substantially less force, so you don't have to worry about having enough leverage to operate it by hand.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? We aren't talking about hand throttles at the moment, and YEAH I know they have been done. Again, I'm friends with a paraplegic racer. And I have looked all over the internet for a hand clutch similar to my idea, and no it has NOT been done. Same general theories, but not even close to my design concepts. Read the whole thread before you post.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would you have enough travel in the lever to generate the pressure needed for a hydraulic clutch? If you increase the length of the fork, then that end will have to travel further, which means a longer activation force. Add to that the time to teach your hand how to re-engage the clutch after the shift so that you don't stall/kill the engine.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Interesting idea. Have fun with it.

All these negative nancy's can go pee into the wind.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Valerik
? We aren't talking about hand throttles at the moment, and YEAH I know they have been done. Again, I'm friends with a paraplegic racer. And I have looked all over the internet for a hand clutch similar to my idea, and no it has NOT been done. Same general theories, but not even close to my design concepts. Read the whole thread before you post.
OK. If you know everything. Why are you asking? If you actually want help, why are you being a dick?

It HAS been done. I've seen it done in person. But you know that already, so anything I post on the subject will be redundant.

Last edited by Numbchux; 10-20-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
So you are gonna be able to over come 1200+ Pounds of force needed to squish the pressure plate?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nah man, only 900 lbs.....
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
maybe its just me but, seems like it would be easier to swap to an automatic and not try to reinvent the wheel. then your feet would be free to hover over the gas and brake with no clutch gizmo to worry about.
i also didnt realize the hydraulic setup required so much maintenance...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Little late to the party. I started thinking about this since I had a motorcycle wreck about 5 years ago and was laying in recovery with the posibility of still loosing my right leg. I think I was thinking a motorcycle master on the gear shift with a slave cylinder to push the clutch pedal. Now I would have to push my break and gas over to be worked by the leftleg.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:56 PM

I was just thinking of this. My L leg is now partially paralyzed

Originally Posted by Valerik
I have an idea for a custom clutch/shifter. I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, or if this is the right place for it. Feel free to correct me

The hydraulic clutch in my 1st gen 4runner works fine, but I am rolling around ideas for a cable clutch instead of hydraulic. I think it would be easier maintenance if I did it right; I am sure some wouldn't agree.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. I want to design a trigger on my shifter itself that would actuate this cable. Idk if this has been done before, i've never heard of it.

It would be almost a pistol style grip/feel to it. The shift trigger would be attached to a single guide pin on the lower portion of my shift knob, so it could pivot in and out. Sonewhat like this > \||

It would then pull up on the cable, which would be tied to the bottom of the shift lever just above the transmission. You follow?

Then, run it out the bottom of the truck by the transmission on the passenger side, and build a bracket to hold the cable behind the clutch fork.

Modify the fork a bit to accept the end of my cable, and adjust the cable so that it would pull the fork back just as much as the slave cylinder for the hydro clutch pushes.

Now, I would have my clutch and shifter in the same hand when im on the trail.

I could either remove the floor clutch all-together, or keep it installed with the cable clutch as a safe guard.

One of the only possible benefits I see with this would be less maintenance if I designed it well enough, and possibly allowing my feet to hover over brake and accelerator (not worrying about foot clutch, but still having the benefits of a manual transmission). And, of course, the cable would be sleeved.

(In writing my reply, I'm seeing this is being written in the middle of your post, i dunno how that happened. I'll put my comment in parentheses to distingush it from yours. (I was just thinking of this modification also, with a finger pull-up grip or loop rings for index & middle finger at the shifter. The cable would have to run down the front of the lever, through the boot, through the floor. Yhe cable would need to run through Avraham fulcrum to not only accomplish routing directions but also to reduce the font pounds of pull required to move the arm/lever on the transaxle to disenfsge the clutch using only part of the hand while allowing the rest of the hand to use the shift lever. I have a 95 Honda Civic EX 5 speed. My left leg was partially paralyzed recently in a truck accident. I cant lift my

Does anyone have any opinions on this idea? If need be I can try to draw up my design if you don't quite grasp the concept.
In writing my reply, I'm seeing this is being written in the middle of your post, i dunno how that happened. I'll put my comment in parentheses to distingush it from yours. (I was just thinking of this modification also, with a finger pull-up grip or loop rings for index & middle finger at the shifter. The cable would have to run down the front of the lever, through the boot, through the floor. The cable would need to run through a number of fulcrums to not only accomplish routing direction changes but also to reduce the foot pounds of pull required to move the arm/lever on the transaxle to disengage the clutch using only part of the hand while allowing the rest of the hand to use the shift lever. I have a 95 Honda Civic EX 5 speed. My left leg was partially paralyzed recently in a truck accident. I cant lift my leg to use the clutch & each time i use my left hand to place my leg on the clutch, my leg gets weaker with each use lifting it after depressing the clutch. My foot cant maintain enough pressure to stay on the clutch straight either. The trucks totaled but all I have left to drive are 2 vehicles with a clutch. Modifymolli3)

Last edited by Modifymolli3; 10-21-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:13 PM

Dead L leg. Finger clutch modification needed on shifter

I was just thinking of this modification also, with a finger pull-up grip or loop rings for index & middle finger at the shifter. The cable would have to run down the front of the lever, through the boot, through the floor. The cable would need to run through several fulcrums to not only accomplish routing through direction changes but also to reduce the foot pounds of pull required to move the arm/lever on the transaxle to disengage the clutch using only part of the hand while allowing the rest of the hand to use the shift lever. I have a 95 Honda Civic EX 5 speed. My left leg was partially paralyzed recently in a truck accident. I cant lift my leg to use the clutch & each time i use my left hand to place my foot on the clutch, my leg gets weaker from pulling it upwards to reingage the clutch after using it to depress the clutch lever. I can no longer get up off the ground or from lower positions & presently im falling down when iput weight on my left leg, so working on the cr at the moment is injurious. I can draw though! The trucks totaled but all I have left to drive are 2 vehicles with a clutch, an 86 Nissan Base model & a 95 Honda Civic EX. The Civic shifts like melted butter. Modifymolli3)