The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

'92 pickup front bumper build

Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 pickup front bumper build

So, I finally got started on my front bumper today. I plan on it being similar to wjwerdna's bumper, but mine will stick out a little further to accomadate a winch on top when funds allow. I only got a little done today, but I felt good about it. I did realize this is going to take more than just a day or two in the garage...

Anyway, I pulled the stock bumper:

From reading, I've been told this front crossmember needs to be reinforced. So I started with that. I basically put a C channel down over the top of the crossmember. The C is cut down the middle, with the back part welded into place, and the front bolts on. About halfway through welding it on I realized that I had my gas shut off for my welder. The front is also the base for the rest of the bumper. That way I can unbolt and remove it if needed. I also bought some grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts to hold it in place. Here it is in its current state:

I only have three bolts in right now. I drilled holes for 7 bolts, but is that overkill? I may just go with 5. Not sure yet. I also plan on bolting in from the sides of the bumper back to the frame. But I'll worry about that when I get to it.

I did have a question though. Do I need the turn signals that are in the original bumper? I would like to just ditch them, but I need to be street legal. Anyone know? I realize it varies by state. I am currently in Utah, but will be moving to Texas in a couple of months. Any insight on this would be nice.

More to come in the next few days.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search for how to convert your corner marker lights into turn signals by modifying them to accept a dual filament bulb.

Any reason why the bolts are all caddywhampus?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Any reason why the bolts are all caddywhampus?
um.... Mostly just because I wasn't real careful. They won't be showing when it is all finished anyway.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 PM

today's progress

So, I got a little more done today. Got my center piece welded together. I put a couple of supports on it and welded it to my mounting bracket. A couple of shots:

I need to add a few more supports. When it is time to add a winch, I'll just cut a hole in the top and drop it into the center section. Plus a hole in the front for the fairlead.

More to come soon...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM

a little more...

So, I got a bit more done today. Put a couple more supports on the main bumper:

then I added the lower angle iron:

and a couple more supports:

Now I'm not sure where to go next. Originally I had planned to just put a plate from the main center piece down to the angle iron, which is why the angle iron is tilted like that. However, I'm starting to like all my pipework. So, my other option is to just do five pipes from the angle iron up to the bottom of my center section near the front. I would then leave it open so all the pipework would be visible. Any ideas or suggestions? I imagine both would be strong enough, but open would allow more airflow to the radiator - would it make a noticeable difference though?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you trying to make it look like it has teeth?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:47 PM

I wasn't planning on the teeth look. The original plan was to plate over the front, but all the pipe is starting to appeal to me...
Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting design.....

How does the winch go in again?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
How does the winch go in again?
The idea is this, using this section

I'll just chop a hole in the top and back of it. Then, the winch sits on the bottom of that 4x6 section. A hole will need to be cut for the fairlead, and I'll have to trim the grill some, but I think it'll fit. I'll probably have to go with a more compact winch. The smittybilt xrc8 might fit.

It'll probably be a year or two until I can afford a winch. I'm on a tight budget right now (this whole project has taken me $35 - material plus $30 - grinder.)

It's also kind of a learning project for me. I haven't done any welding since high school metal shop. I'm having fun though, and all in all I'm pleased with how it is turning out.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting build keep up the pix I'm collecting ideas for the front bumper on the GF's runner
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abj27
The idea is this, using this section

I'll just chop a hole in the top and back of it. Then, the winch sits on the bottom of that 4x6 section. A hole will need to be cut for the fairlead, and I'll have to trim the grill some, but I think it'll fit. I'll probably have to go with a more compact winch. The smittybilt xrc8 might fit.

It'll probably be a year or two until I can afford a winch. I'm on a tight budget right now (this whole project has taken me $35 - material plus $30 - grinder.)

It's also kind of a learning project for me. I haven't done any welding since high school metal shop. I'm having fun though, and all in all I'm pleased with how it is turning out.
Are you sure that 4x6 section is strong enough to support the winch? What is the thickness? What size winch are you using? Looks like the footprint would have to be pretty small
Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Are you sure that 4x6 section is strong enough to support the winch? What is the thickness? What size winch are you using? Looks like the footprint would have to be pretty small
Honestly, I'm not sure it will be strong enough , but I like to think it will. The 4x4 part is .25 wall. the 2x4 is .120 wall. The 2x4 has 4 supports going down to the crossmember as you can see. The 4x4 will have either 5 supports down to the angle iron, or just .25 plate. I haven't decided yet. So, as far as strength goes, I think it should be okay. I'm most worried about my crossmember mount failing. Should I tie into where the stock tow hooks mount?

As for the winch fitting... If I cut into (or remove) my grill, I have about 10" from the front of the bumper until I run into the radiator. I'm thinking that would work. Especially if I use a winch like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW

According to the overall dimensions that are listed, it should fit. But, just because it should, doesn't mean it will. Like I said though, it will be awhile until I get a winch.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM

I got a bit done yesterday. My gas ran out as soon as I started though, so I lost some time getting a new tank.

Anyway, started with this on the side:

and I cut it down to this:

I did this so I could get a support from the side of the bumper directly to the stock bumper mount.

I then started putting one side together:

I got this much done on the other side as well.

More to come soon
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Help!

So, I ran into a new problem today, but first my progress so far.

Here is the other side put together:

I decided to tie the sides into the stock frame mounting location. Here's how I did that:

I got that done on both sides today, and then decided if I really want this to withstand winching loads in the future, I'll need to tie it directly into the frame, not just onto the front crossmember. So I decided to pull the stock tow hooks, and run a piece of 5/16" by 2" bar along the bottom of the frame rail. The rail has 3 holes that are drilled and tapped, ready to accept bolts. 2 at the stock tow hook mounting locations, and one about 5 inches further back. I think bolting into these should create a pretty strong mount. This is where I ran into trouble:

I started pulling the stock tow hooks, and got 3 bolts out okay, but I broke the head off on the fourth...

So, any ideas on the best way to get that out? It is in there really tight. Worst case scenario, I just chop the bolt off flush, and only mount the driver's side with 2 bolts, but I'd really like to get it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Maybe center punch and drill a good size relief hole down the center of it. Then I would probably get a good size nut to place over the stud there and weld the inside of the nut to the stud creating a new bolt essentially. Be sure to clean the stud up before you weld to it. after you get the nut welded on you could try and further heat the area up with a torch before wrenching on it. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe center punch and drill a good size relief hole down the center of it.
Go to your local auto parts store. And get an "Easy-Out" bolt removal kit. A good kit will include a set of easy-outs (which are reverse threaded taps, that get tighter in the piece as you try to back the broken bolt out) and the proper sized drill bits for each easy-out. They work good!!

And just my two cents: Your bumper looks great!!! but I don't think its probably strong enough for a winch. Sorry

Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by grant526
Go to your local auto parts store. And get an "Easy-Out" bolt removal kit.
Thanks, I'll probably try that first. If that doesn't work, then a welded on nut might do the trick.

Originally Posted by grant526
And just my two cents: Your bumper looks great!!! but I don't think its probably strong enough for a winch. Sorry
Thanks for the encouragement. This is my first real mod to the truck. Also my first time doing anything like this. Just out of curiosity, what is required for a bumper to withstand winching loads? I'm guessing the problem with mine is the angle from my mounting brackets up to where I would potentially mount a winch? I would think I have sufficiently thick metal. All between 1/8" and 1/4". I mean, ARB bumpers are pretty thin (but apparently also magic). Even if it can't support a winch, I'm still happy with it so far. We'll see what I can get done on it this week...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM

Okay, it has been a few days since I posted on this. I have done a little work though. When I left off I was stuck with my broken bolt. So I went and got a set of easy outs and gave that a try. Here is the result:

yep, it broke off. So now I have a bolt stuck in there, with the tip of an easy out stuck in it too.

My next trick was to screw a nut on, weld it in place and then try to wrench the bolt out. That resulted in this:

The rest of the bolt broke off. I ended up just cutting off the remainder of the bolt and grinding it smooth. Not what I wanted to do, but I still have a couple tapped holes to bolt into the frame. It will just have to do...

So, I added my supports that run along the bottom of the frame.

They are 5/16" inches thick and bolt into the factory tapped holes in the frame. I notched the angle iron so I could get a good fit.

Then I added a couple of vertical supports, going from the 5/16" piece I just added up to the main center section of the bumper.

And I pulled it off to finish some of my welds and put the rest together.

I've decided to do bars on front instead of plating the front. The main reason for this is money. I have a cheap metal supplier, but he doesn't have much selection when it comes to plating. However, I do already have enough roundstock to finish it. I also like the look of the bars. A little different from the norm, but I like it.

So here's what is left to do:

1. Add the angle iron that goes from the bottom angle up to the side
2. Add the bars(3 more in the center and 3 on each side)
3. Box in my open 2x4's
4. add a plate gusset to fill in the gap behind my side 2x4's

After that I can think about extras I might want to add, such as recessed fog lights and a couple of D-rings(anyone know of a cheap source for these)?

Then it is on to painting.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 PM

A little more progress to report.

First off, I did the corner turn signal mod found here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...0701602:bigok:

That was pretty easy and went very smoothly.

Then I finished several of the welds while I had it on the ground. I also added a couple of the pieces on the side. This is how it currently sits:

One question though:

When I close off the ends of the 2x4's, should I worry about moisture getting in and rusting it from the inside out? It should be hard for water to get in, but I'm sure my welds aren't 100% airtight. Do I need to worry about it at all? Any response would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Looks good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '92 pickup front bumper build