4Runners-3rd gen Post your 3rd gens here

JHupp's '01 Sport

Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JHupp's '01 Sport

I bought this '01 in '03 with 33k miles from Autoland in Springfield NJ. I have had F Series Ford work trucks for the past 5 or 6 years, but I never really had a daily driver. It gets quite tiring to drive an F250 every day, and try to park in NJ, I decided to buy something a little more comfortable, a little faster, and a little better on gas that I could drive to school and back, and on short runs for work, or longer trips. A car was out of the question since I needed something could really take a beating, and still be large enough to carry job materials, and be able to access our construction sites. I had heard extremely good reviews prior to purchasing the 4Runner. I was told that they were fairly bulletproof when coming to durability. I have not yet been dissapointed with 70k miles and counting. I have always loved the scoop hood, and that was my primary consideration when buying a Runner. This was the 4Runner a few days after I picked it up,

Whoever had it before me had the tints, brush guards, lights, and a fairly decnet sound system installed. After having it and driving it for a 2 years, I decided it was time to iprove it. I love the way lifted SUVs look, and I didn't want to go crazy, just enough tobe noticeable, and do a little better offroad. I went with a 3" lift in the rear with OME springs, and a 2 1/2" front with Daystar Spacers. I also had an accident on Rt. 18, so I decided to swap out the brush guard for a center protector instead. While I was at it, I ordered pro comp 16x8 with 4" B.S. and 265/75/16 BFG ATs to compliment the lift. This is what it looked like.(with it's proud ownder stanign in front)

I have since started to actually offroad it, I joined NJTTORA, and have been out once with them, and I am always up to do some easy trails. After the lift, I found out about sonoransteel.com, I promptly ordered a Panhard Drop bar, 1st gen roll bar, center diff. drop, and shackle hangers from them to almost complete the truck.

Pic of the rear suspension with lift, diff. breather, and panhard bar

Pic of 1st gen roll bar powdercoated and installed.

Since I have had all of the work done, I have been offroading a few times. Shown below is after a trail ride with TTORA, and a few pics of me wheeling in the snow.

In front of my crib

In the snow

In the snow

So far, I can't say anything bad about my 4Runner, I absolutely love the truck (my g/f even gets jealous). The V6 makes decent power, enough to pull my jetskis, or quds on small trailers. Knock on wood, I have had 0 problems with the truck. Really takes some suprising abuse. The ATRAC also works as well or better than my F250, with the front hubs locked. I am very pleased with this truck. Just so my F250 doesnt get jealous, here is a pic of it also.

The Super Duty

Please abide by the administration's rules of this section and DO NOT post in this thread

Last edited by JHupp; 10-21-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:16 PM

A shot after installing OME 881s up front. Also has 1.75" of daystar spacers above the front coil. OME 891s in rear. Getting ready for 33s this summer(maybe)

A few shots after having the 881s for 3 weeks. This is the height I expect it to maintain, and I will most likely keep the truck this way for a while. I may go with 33s this summer, but the 32" ATs are pretty damn decent. For your viewing pleasure,

Finally back in action after 2 months out of commission. I really wanted to cruise around for the summer, and now that my CV is fixed, that is exactly what I will be doing. Here are a few pics of me with the door off, at my buddies house. By the way, if you live in the good old people's republic of New Jersey, this is not a good idea, as it is illegal. Sorry for the camera phone pics.

On 7/17/06 I parked next to an Dodge Dakota 4x4 and was suprised to see how much more agressive the 4Runners stance was. The Dodge is on 31s, my Runner on 32s. Kind of lame I know, but I get bored very quickly at work.

Please abide by the administration's rules of this section and DO NOT post in this thread

Last edited by JHupp; 10-21-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

***UPDATE***

As of October 2010 I still have the 4runner, I continue to use it as a daily driver with the lift kit with no issues. The only thing I will say is that with the lift the limiting strap kit from Sonoran Steel is a must, I went through about 3 sets of front axles before I did the kit. At 115k on the ticker this Runner is still running strong. I recently ditched my ugly old Pro Comp wheels and through on a set of LX450 wheels and some BFG Rugged Trail tires. I only wheel the truck every other weekend and its usually pretty light stuff so the BFGs are fine. Anyway, here is a pic of the beast!!!