YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Work Boot Tech: Best Logger Boot Period

I am lucky to have a Christmas-ish birthday, so it is time to add to the boot stable. The more time I spend on the mountain in the cold harvesting trees, the more I hate my steel toe Redwings. Combine that with a pretty non-aggressive tread and it is amazing I make it home.

Right now, I have two pairs of Redwings I beat up in the shop and have landscaped in all through school. They have both been resoled, re-oiled and one was restiched. I take care of them, but laying stone and playing trucks is hard on boots.

So, I am looking for advice on the next boot. I am looking for something with a pretty significant heel, makes it easier to climb, something all leather, something rebuildable/servicable and something that will last forever if taken care of.

I am down to Danner, Chippewa, Wesco and perhaps Redwing. My woodland fire friends do not like their Whites, but most rave about their Wescos. The Danner's get mixed reviews. The Redwings only have a steel toe logger I like and would like to stay away from steel.

Boots will be used primarily as backcountry working/time in the woods. Points for aggressive tread, stout construction and steel shank. I would like to by a boot to last a lifetime.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I wear steel toe Wolverines when working on computers on our production lines. They have worn like iron and very comfortable...but I don't know how they would hold up in your environment up there.

Just my two cents.
Iridium Sparkplugs
Kenwood KDC-MP628
Blaupunkt Separates in all of the doors
Two RF P2002 amps
Kenwood 12" Subwoofer

My baby: Pics
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to joez
I love my danners. They have held up well, especially considering they are what i wheel and cut trails in year round. I'll never buy any other brand again.

1985 Toyota 4Runner, 3" Trail Gear rear/ All-Pro front springs, 42x14 IROK's, Allied Rockathons, spool rear/detroit front, 30 spline longs, Dual cases w/4.7, Marlin High steer, lots of other stuff..

1997 Dodge 2500 4x4, 12valve CTD, not stock.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I still have a pair of Redwings and LOVE them , but I have also used wolverines in the field. I used to survey in some really nasty areas. Swamps, mud, and briars. They held up great and were comfortable. Not as cushy as the redwings though. I have been through 3 sets of soles on them.

WabFab Off-Road, LLC
Toyota 4x4 Parts and Custom Fabrication
updated website with lots of new products

87 runner with every bolt on available
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks guys.

Perhaps the title should be Brand, but that has been covered some before.

I love my Redwings, but have to crossover this time.

The Danner logger is a fire boot so I feel like I am paying for stuff I don't really need like the kevlar stitching, NFFPA cert, etc.

Anyone have Wesco's? They are tanks, seem to have a reputation, but are cash money. Two friends have them, they both love them, but are wildland fire people so they are probably harder on boots than I am.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a set of Terra's and they've held up great - http://www.terrafootwear.com/

not sure if they're widely available to the south but they are used by the US Army.

'03 Sonoma 2wd, supercharged 4.3L@9psi
'81 Turbo Trans Am, WS6, 301V8@9psi
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a pair of ASOLO TPS 520 GTX boots, and I like them, very aggressive sole great for hiking and back country. I like them, I do a lot of back country hiking and they have great traction, even on wet rock. They are full leather and also goretex. I am happy with them, and I haven't come across a pair I like more, yet.

On the other hand, the nylon shank in the sole, gives me no clutch feel, so I just change into shoes to drive, unless its a short distance.

Silver 2000 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 5spd SR5
Now with URD short shifter and
Milled polyurethane shifter seat
Hella FF1000 Driving Lights
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chippewa hands down. I've worn Danners, Bates, Red Wings, and Chippewa for 10 plus years. Chippewa is still my favorite.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joez View Post
I love my danners. They have held up well, especially considering they are what i wheel and cut trails in year round. I'll never buy any other brand again.
Agreed. I have a pair of Danner Quarry boots and I love them. The lining keeps my feet dry and the Gortex is a nice plus. Warranty is awesome. I had the sole go out a year after buying it and they replaced the boots no problem.

R.I.P. 12/24/2009 - 1998 Tacoma Limited XtraCab 4x4 | De-badged TRD | 3.4L Auto | Factory E-lock & Moonroof | 882 2.5" OME Lift | 17" Enkei RTS Rims | Brembo Slotted Rotors | Slee Brake Lines | K&N Filter w/Deck Plate | Custom 654 Weatherguard Box | Stubbs Sliders | LineX-ed Bed & Sliders | Kenwood KDC-MPV6022 | OmniFi | JL 250/1 Amp | JL 8" w/Hidden Box
Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

US Army Issue Jungle Boots? I've had a pair that I outgrew, and my roomie still uses his from the army, best boots I've ever had.

04 Double Cab PreRunner. 3.4 - Auto
84 4Runner 4WD. 22R - 5 spd Lifted, Locked, 33x12.50

Disclaimer:My Photobucket is being revamped. If there are broken links, shoot me a PM. Thanks. ~Chris

Great Toyota Tech
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I really wanted the Danner Logger boot but couldn't find a dealer. Tried on Redwings and many others. By far the best I put on my foot was the Carhartt
Logger. After a year they are still waterproof and warm.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=12405

B.
Wheeler's 16 Black Alloy Wheels, Revo's LT 285/75-R16, Slee Rear bumper, Slee Sliders, TJM Front Bumper, Custom Rear Drawer System, Center Diff Lock & Seven Pin Mod.
2007 Subaru WRX STI. Borla Cat Back, Momo Shift knob, Injen CIT
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

In general, Danner boots have my vote. I have a pair of Acadia and Fort Lewis boots...they hold up very well.

Happily owned from 57k to 112k. Sold :(
Odyssey PC1700T
Old 11-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nic

I have two pairs of Redwings. Both are loggers. One is steel toe and the other is not. I think the steel toe is model 2218 and I have not had them very long. They are OK, and maybe once they get broken in, I will like them better. They have the same sole as my other pair, but something about them is different.

I have a non steel toe logger that is identical in looks to my other pair. I have had them a while and love them. They fit great and are very comfortable. They are model 699. You might want to look at those if you are still considering a pair of Redwings.

1997 Tacoma 4X4 Xtra Cab 2.7L 5 speed
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
CJM

Danner, stay awa from chippewa unless you find ones made in the USA! I worked in a shoestore that sold these boots. All the ones made in the US held up much better, georgia boots are also nice.

But honestly I love danners, I dont like loggers, to much of a heel-but I do have a pair of thier combat boots I cant kill. NEver even needed to repair them and they have been abused. Best part of it all is they fit like a glove right out of the box unlike everything else.

Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Socks

Okay, I'm a Yank living in the unknown world of you grizzled West coast sawbucks. For some reason I feel the need to throw this out there (please keep in mind that I didn't attend any Cambridge school and am not a proponent to health care reform, maybe). Sarcasm aside, I really believe in the sock. A double lined sock goes a long way. With any newly bought boot there is, of course, a break in period. There's no way of knowing whether this is the boot you love (or not) when the 'blister affect' dampers the users judgment. No, I don't sell double lined socks, just know their worth.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.brooks.9022 <style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img { visibility: hidden; } .ig-b-:hover { background-position: 0 -60px; } .ig-b-:active { background-position: 0 -120px; } .ig-b-48 { width: 48px; height: 48px; background: url(//badges.instagram.com/s
I would have to say stay away from the Danners if you're looking for a tall heeled logger boot. I tried a pair my first season in fire, and they were done at the end of that 6 months. I didn't even have a particularly busy season, either. I love my Danner Ft Lewis boots, though...had them for 12 years now and never had them rebuilt, though they need it now. Wesco's are good from what I've heard, never worn 'em, but I've spent 5 seasons in my Drew's, a couple of them pretty harsh, and they now need a rebuild. It really depends a little bit on your foot, though. I have extremely narrow feet with a high arch, so I got custom built Drew's. I've heard Wesco isn't too good for narrow or high arch, but White's, Nick's, and Drew's, in that order, are.

RIMan has a point, too, I wear Smartwool's with cotton socks, even in my custom built boots.

Tow rig in progress:
1969 F250 Camper Special, 31" dry rotted tires from 1992, D60 4.10's, 400 hp 390 10.1:1 CR

Fuel saver
2001 Forester, engine rebuild, lowered on 07 WRX STi springs

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's not for you."
-Unknown
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Superfeet

Flygtenstein,
If you want, check out:
www.superfeet.com
They're inserts which may help you with any boot you have. There are different sizes and some are more aggressive in the arch than others. I won't leave the house without them. I got mine at EMS. REI also has them and I'm asuming any camping store that sells footwear will too.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
tc
Contributing Member

I would think in the 4 years since posting this, Adrian found some boots.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.brooks.9022 <style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img { visibility: hidden; } .ig-b-:hover { background-position: 0 -60px; } .ig-b-:active { background-position: 0 -120px; } .ig-b-48 { width: 48px; height: 48px; background: url(//badges.instagram.com/s
Haha, I would hope. Just noticed the date, my bad.

Tow rig in progress:
1969 F250 Camper Special, 31" dry rotted tires from 1992, D60 4.10's, 400 hp 390 10.1:1 CR

Fuel saver
2001 Forester, engine rebuild, lowered on 07 WRX STi springs

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's not for you."
-Unknown
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Red Wings

I just broke down and bought a pair of Red Wings. Had no choice since I start work the day after tomorrow and couldn't wait for another brand to be shipped to me. They also have a special starting today, if you bring your old boots (any brand it seems) you get $25 off. I picked up the 4420's. I know, they're not top of the line but will get me through a few summer and falls I'm hoping. Figure I'll upgrade in the winter to insulated ones. Some advice for anyone purchasing them: Make sure they are the same size even if they're labeled the same. The only pair they had in my size were mislabeled. One was 9 1/2 and the other was a ten. Had to go to another store to get a correct pair.
Does anyone have any advice for caring for them? Is it recommended to only use Red Wing products? I have Nikwax/Aqueous Wax which claims to waterproof, maintain support & breathability. I use it on my leather hiking boots and it seems to work quite well.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
16, 2218, boot, boots, danner, discount, forum, inch, logger, loggers, red, sale, steel, toe, wing, work, working