YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (10)

Why should bicycles be able to share the road?

Seriously. Not trying to start a pissing contest so if you can't be civil in your response, I'll just ban you

Bicycles pay no registration, no tags, no insurance, have no motors yet they are allowed to share the roads.

They are not able to maintain minimum speed limits on many roads, nor do they have mirrors, lights, blinkers or any safety equipment installed.

I frequently see them ride on the wrong side of the road, disregard traffic laws and generally just get in the way most of the time.

I do not understand why bicycles can legally travel the road ways yet things such as ATVs, golf carts, etc can't because of the same above reasons.

No I'm not a biker hater, just curious why if bicycles can, why not other things too.

:wabbit2:
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Konah Zebert
Most bike riders also have a car, that would take care of taxes etc. Bikes can't ride on sidewalks without infringing on pedestrians, so roads seem logical. Wether they can maintain minimum speed or not is irrelevant in the point that anyone in a car can wait a few seconds to pass when safe and still not have to worry about being slowed down. I know that can lead to road rage in the sense that self importance in a vehicle seems to grow. Why would anyone slow me down! I'm more important and have more important places to be, faster.
Many cyclist believe (wrongly) that by removing reflectors, not installing mirrors and other safety equipment that the small weight savings will improve their cycling over the loss of safety.
For the bicyclists that ignore the rules of the road, I've no respect for them. Except maybe the hardcore bike couriers in larger metro areas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

What frustrates me the most about bicyclists is that they whine about being treated equally, yet they follow none of the traffic laws. How often do you see a bike sit through a red light, or stop at a stop sign. I also don't understand why when give a bike lane the asshats have to ride on the line closest to traffic, do you want to get hit? If I ride my bike I am in the curb as far away from traffic as possible.

Rockfrogs
Pics
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, it's hard to explain as someone from Oregon. Being the most bicycle friendly state in the union, we just don't see it the way many from other states do.

I have pretty strong feelings about the matter. As I'm an avid on/offroad bicyclist, who prides himself on doing so in as safely, unobtrusively, and legally a manner as is possible, wherever possible(if you catch my drift). Bicycle laws exist here to address the safety and traffic issues that do occur when bicycles share roadways with motor vehicles. And I personally tend to behave in a manner safer and more studious than the law requires me while riding on or near such lanes of travel. I do this because I appreciate my legal right to do so, I respect the laws governing it, and to honor those priviledges that have been given to me as a resident of the state of Oregon.

I'd have to say we really don't have too many "problem bicyclists" here. Around here we all learn early on in life the laws and courtesy required, from both motorists and bicyclists alike, to make it all work safely and seemlessly. That's the way it is, was, and always will be I guess.

How nice it is to live in Bicycle Heaven I suppose...

Quote:
814.400 Application of vehicle laws to bicycles.

(1) Every person riding a bicycle upon a public way is subject to the provisions applicable to and has the same rights and duties as the driver of any other vehicle concerning operating on highways, vehicle equipment and abandoned vehicles, except:

(a) Those provisions which by their very nature can have no application.
(b) When otherwise specifically provided under the vehicle code.
(2) Subject to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section:

(a) A bicycle is a vehicle for purposes of the vehicle code; and
(b) When the term “vehicle” is used the term shall be deemed to be applicable to bicycles.

(3) The provisions of the vehicle code relating to the operation of bicycles do not relieve a bicyclist or motorist from the duty to exercise due care. [1983 c.338 §697; 1985 c.16 §335]
http://bikeportland.org/resources/bicyclelaws

Sorry, do go on. I understand it must be painful for you. Please feel free to express more of your true feelings. It's good to get things out in the open.

I could rant about wheel hub cones a little if you want? It's bike related, and about as frustrating and/or over-complicated a subject as there is regarding them. Tons of controversy potential there...
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-17-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Aren't there bike lanes in Alabama? They're everywhere here.

And while we're on the subject, I've been to parts of Florida where golf carts are street legal, twice the width and slower than most any road bike.

Still, I hear this same rant from some Oregonians, but I've yet to meet one who cycles on-road.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
I could rant about wheel hub cones a little if you want? It's bike related, and about as frustrating and/or over-complicated a subject as there is regarding them. Tons of contraversy potential there...
Try sealed bearings, but you knew that!

My frustration is with dérailleur adjustments. Sheesh, how can something with only four adjustments be so diabolical?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

facebook.com/carl.colberg
If you ride your bike like its a car, I don't care. That is, following all the rules, or like said above, the hard core courier type. They tend to know what they're doing, and don't cause traffic issues. What I don't understand, is why i'm supposed to give them a 10 foot zone when I pass them. Out here on our back roads, (winding, blind curves, log trucks, big farm type rigs) they demand you pass them only in legal passing areas or wait until you can see a clear opening to pass. Well, I can't see their 15-mile-per-hour traveling self around said blind curve, so am I supposed to come to a near stop and maybe get hit by said log truck until I can pass? I don't. I'll try not to hit them, but I'm not going out of my way to give them road either. They get the same treatment as the old fogeys doing 20 out on backroads. Whizz on by... Oh, and I don't care about the lack of registration or it being free. That's why, all summer I bike to work. But I wish I had a diesel so I could run tax free veg oil...its cheaper too.

FSM'S AVAILABLE HERE STILL...

Last edited by combatcarl; 02-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcarl View Post
... I'll try not to hit them, but I'm not going out of my way to give them road either...
I always make it a point to give road cyclists plenty of space when overtaking. Sometimes they have to adjust line for rocks, broken glass or storm drains quickly and really, how much effort and consideration does it take to turn the wheel an inch to avoid them?

Do unto others and all that.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT17R View Post
Aren't there bike lanes in Alabama? They're everywhere here.

And while we're on the subject, I've been to parts of Florida where golf carts are street legal, twice the width and slower than most any road bike.

Still, I hear this same rant from some Oregonians, but I've yet to meet one who cycles on-road.
Bike lanes. Now that's funny.

On the University of Alabama campus there are bike lanes but not in general anywhere else. I rode a bike around campus all the time but don't ride one anymore.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Interesting data here of rate of cyclist deaths by state, but is flawed since number of cyclists wasn't measured.

Florida I can understand since so many drivers can no longer move their necks to check surroundings.

What surprised me most was seeing the high rate of fatalities for Oregon even with all of our bike lanes and aware citizens.

That's why I mostly mountain bike now. I was hit by a car at relatively low speed, tumbled over the roof and onto the ground. Luckily just scrapes and bruises. The driver fled the scene after stopping to toss my trashed bike to the side.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811156.pdf
Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

facebook.com/carl.colberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT17R View Post
I always make it a point to give road cyclists plenty of space when overtaking. Sometimes they have to adjust line for rocks, broken glass or storm drains quickly and really, how much effort and consideration does it take to turn the wheel an inch to avoid them?

Do unto others and all that.
Well, yeah. But if I'm doing 50 down Lorane highway, and they're on e bend, with maybe a foot to ride on to the right of the yellow, I can't stop, so it's kind of a lane split around them, just edge to the outside and scoot by. That's what I mean. Now it's much worse for the old man, as he drives truck...he almost has taken a few out, accidentally.

FSM'S AVAILABLE HERE STILL...

Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

shawnkrause871
Quote:
Originally Posted by konah View Post
Bikes can't ride on sidewalks without infringing on pedestrians, so roads seem logical.
Actually, no. What is more deadly, a car crashing into a bike at high speeds or a person on a bike hitting someone on the sidewalk at a lower speed? It is a lot simpler for someone on the sidewalk to simply step out of the way when a bike is coming. On the road, a car can be coming around a sharp corner and see a bike and not have the time to react and swerve or whatever. And when they do, there's the possibility of a collision with the car in the other lane if one if coming.

That being said, I live literally a mile from a 40 mile hike and bike trail that spans from the middle of York County, PA all the way to upper Baltimore County, Maryland. I see more people riding their bikes along the roads than I do on the trail. Frankly, how stupid or lazy are they that they can't drive their bike to the trail and ride there where it is much safer?

I'm not against bicycling by any means, I just think people need to be smarter about it. If you can keep up with traffic and not cause problems on the roadways by not abiding by the laws, then great, ride your bike on the road. If not, get off. You're causing safety hazards for not just you, but other motorists.

And cycle-lanes? Those are a joke in my parts. There is literally only one that I know of. It's a random bike lane in a traffic circle and once you leave the traffic circle, the bike lane doesn't continue...like you are only allowed to ride your bike in the traffic circle...probably the most dangerous part of any road...

R150F
1.5" BJ Spacers/Shackles
Diff Drop
Sway Bar Delete
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
Skyjacker 9000 Stabilizer
ISR Mod
4.30 gears
32x11.5x15 Sport Kings
15x10 Outlaw IIs
AISIN Hubs
Fabtech Light Bar
Jungle Fender Flares
6000k 55w Hella 500s
2.25" Straight Pipe w/ Magnaflow Muffler
4' Firestik
Midland CB
205,000 miles
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Gas just hit $4.25 here in the great pacific northwest
I have never seen more cyclists on the roads in this area in all my life.
If gas gets any higher I am going to play the ole "if you can't beat em, join em!"
32's- Swamper TSL's- RC rims, lifted, lighted, winched, LC high output alternator, etc etc..

My 82 build
http://www.yotatech.com/f197/toyospe...thread-211943/
My SAS thread
http://www.yotatech.com/f152/great-w...ck-sas-164531/
My Flatbed build thread
http://www.yotatech.com/f88/toyospea...-build-191787/
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

There are no minimum speed limits on most roads, the few that do have them almost certainly don't have bike riders on them.

Bikes don't pay registration fees, but registration fees don't pay for roads. They don't have license plates either, but license plates don't pay for roads either. Gas taxes pay for roads, but that doesn't lead to an 'ownership' situation, the roads are built for the public to use.

I've seen drivers break various laws, that doesn't mean drivers should be excluded from streets.

I guess bicycle use falls sort of under the realm of pedestrian use.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to habanero
Just got done riding on the tandem on the road. I prefer mountain biking but freeze/thaw cycles around here so mucky trails don't permit it. That's following the rules as is a cyclist yielding to both horses and hikers.

When I ride on the road I follow the laws. I do ride on bike/ped trails occasionally but there usually aren't any where I'm going (work/shopping/errands/recreation). I usually ride from home. If I'm not mountain biking why in the heck would I drive to go riding??? Closest reasonable place is 45 minutes away. I rarely have time between work, chores and kid to add that kind of time to my ride. Heck, sometimes I ride to the mountain bike trails just to get a little extra ride time in that way.

In my area it is
A) Not legal to ride on the sidewalk
B) Dangerous to pedestrians to ride on the sidewalk (think car/bike relationship but with no room to safely pass at all)
C) There are often not sidewalks where I am riding.

As far as people being careful about driving around me and giving me space when they pass..... Those who do, THANK YOU!! Being hit SUCKS! People forget about side mirrors (hurts a LOT), things sticking off their trailers, that the right side of their car is farther away from them (and inches from me) than they think. I don't know you any more than you know me and you're coming at me from behind. I don't know what your driving skills are, if you're paying attention to the road, chatting on the phone or texting. I don't know if my presence will piss you off automatically or if you'll be nice and possibly even really careful of my crumple zones- me. Riding requires a lot of faith in the honor of others. I do what I can to keep from impeding traffic but sometimes it happens. I'll pull into a driveway or side street when one's available and always ride on the shoulder or as far right as is safe whenever available. I don't want to be in your way either! I don't want to die because you can't respect my rights and you don't understand what I love to do most!

So yeah. I drive. I ride. I know the rules of the road and I follow them. I learned how to share before I even made it to kindergarten. All my riding is going to help me live a longer, healthier life so I can RIDE EVEN MORE! YAY!!!
You know, if some pissed off driver doesn't lay me and the kid out permanent style 'cause they were in a hurry to get to their own business because you know it's always WAY more important than what anybody else has got going.

Now ask me how some people feel about the fact that I like to drive on trails in the woods....much the same attitude as some drivers have to cyclists, just a different venue.

Drive them, hike them, bike them, maintain them, build them!

'99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber View Post
Habanero - you ride a Gary Fisher, you change your own oil, AND you have a man-eating pumpkin pie as your avatar. You are anything BUT a soccer mom. :D

Last edited by habanero; 02-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomoka View Post
There are no minimum speed limits on most roads, the few that do have them almost certainly don't have bike riders on them.

Bikes don't pay registration fees, but registration fees don't pay for roads. They don't have license plates either, but license plates don't pay for roads either. Gas taxes pay for roads, but that doesn't lead to an 'ownership' situation, the roads are built for the public to use.

I've seen drivers break various laws, that doesn't mean drivers should be excluded from streets.

I guess bicycle use falls sort of under the realm of pedestrian use.
Road I travel to work on everyday is 55 mph. Completely unsafe for a bike to be on this road at all, much less at slow rate of speed. They are on it daily.

If it is a public road then, let on ATVs, golf carts, tractors whatever. Yet you drive those things on the road, you would get a ticket.

A person riding a bicycle is made to take no class, pass a test or get a license or tag to ride a bike on public street, at least you are for a car or motorcycle.

Based on my personal observations on a daily basis of cars to cyclists at the same road/intersection, I've seen maybe 2 cars on two separate occasions run through the stop sign. I see cyclists in groups do it on a DAILY basis. This is a 45 mph to 55 mph intersection. We had a fatality at this intersection just this past year, guy on a tricycle ran the stop sign and got plastered. Tragic situation.

Again, I'm not anti cycling, but it just seems dangerous at best to do it on a public road because in a collision the car wins every time. Doesn't matter who is at fault.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to habanero
Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
Road I travel to work on everyday is 55 mph.
Ah. Here you cannot bike on the interstate highways. They have a speed limit of 60mph with a minimum of something like 45mph. On the rest of our roads speed LIMITS range from slow even for cycling to 55mph. Some of the towns treat the limit as it was meant to be- a limit. You can get a ticket for going 56mph in a 55.
Get further on the other side of the river and you will get alternative traffic on 55mph limit highways. Tractors, gators, even an occasional horse and buggy. Oh yeah, and bikes.

Funny enough, I was given a safety tutorial and test from the local police and got a bicycle license way back when. A few years ago I went to get a license for the tandem only one of the clerks knew what it was and said they discontinued the service. That was after riding my bike to a neighboring town because my own didn't do licenses at all.

'99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber View Post
Habanero - you ride a Gary Fisher, you change your own oil, AND you have a man-eating pumpkin pie as your avatar. You are anything BUT a soccer mom. :D
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Matt Brantley mattbrantley91
the people who ride bikes around my house dont even attempt to move over when a car is coming, they just turn their head and look at you and keep on going. And they have even flipped me the bird a few times. And i know this is a little off topic but one time one of those guys came into my yard and kicked my dog! He said he felt threatened by my 6 month old lab that was doing his business at the time. My dog cant even get to the road because i have an underground electric fence setup and i have that clearly posted in my yard for the purpose of the people who ride bikes and run/walk up my road. I got my revenge on that guy the next day, when he came by i unloaded on him with a paintball gun haha, and i havent seen him back yet. Im not anti-bike but i do think there should be some sort of rules/regulations that they have to follow like us drivers do.

Build Thread:
http://www.yotatech.com/f199/matt92y...-build-236845/
Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

I understand the whole share the road, but i think it is time to extend the width or roads for them. Around here we get alot of the psuedo racers, or those people who have to go out and get the matching speedos to have to look the part. They choose to ride the bikes at rush hour on the back country roads here that are quite crowded. The traffic will get back up for a loooong stretch and is so dangerous cause people in the cars will try to pass them and the road has numerous passes and the idiots in the cars will try to overtake on a blind corner. There are plenty of roads around here that are 4 lane and have bile paths, but they have to choose the windy back roads. I may have a little animosity towards bicyclists cause in Florida when i was helping to keep trails and areas open in S florida, everything was getting closer for ORV usage but they would open up a bicycle park at will. Many of these trails we had seen were wide enough for a vehicle. So if i have to share a road with them, why can';t they share trail with me? I gotta stop myself this is a very sore subject for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomoka View Post
registration fees don't pay for roads. They don't have license plates either, but license plates don't pay for roads either. Gas taxes pay for roads, but that doesn't lead to an 'ownership' situation, the roads are built for the public to use.
Depends on what state you live in. My 4runners registration doubled a couple of years ago to pay for roads.

Rockfrogs
Pics
Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
55mph, allowed, banned, bicycles, bike, bikes, forums, people, ride, riding, road, roads, sidewalk, street, thornton