YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

jrallan26
Vancouver, Wa

My parents just moved from southern california (which they lived for almost 40 years) to Vancouver, Wa. Does anyone live in that neck of the woods? They are trying to get me and the family to move out there. My questions are:

What is it like?

Traffic?

Crime?

Fun things to do if any (other than cow-tipping and chasing sheep)?

Close to any big cities?

Is it a "motorcycling-friendly" city? I ask this because I rarely drive my truck. I am too claustiphobic (sp.) I try and ride my Replika everyday rain or shine.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 07-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to EWAYota Send a message via MSN to EWAYota
i like vancouver, a stones throw from portland. not to sure on traffic and motorcycles though. crime.....im sure it has its pockets. people from portland or near by im sure will chime in.

1990 4runner SR5, 22re, auto....baby mobile
EWAYota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Contributing Member

Visited There about 8 years ago. If you like the outdoors, its awesome especially north Vancouver. Lots of traffic though. Don't know about crime.

2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 Xtracab. Lund Intercepter bug guard, rear glass sunshield, Bilstein shocks on rear. - Sold

2004 Honda CRV EX stock belongs to wife.

2010 Corolla S, no mods yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
I did a lot of masticating today.....and now I'm going to go do some more.
Paul H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #4

I lived near Vancouver, WA a few years ago. It's one of the fastest growing parts of Washington State. It's near the Portland metro area. There is also the Columbia River Gorge, which has many recreation opportunities. I liked the area and would move back if I had the opportunity.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #5

Wheter or not you'd like living in Da 'Couve will depend on what kind of area you prefer. If you're a 'concrete jungle-ite', then this probbably isn't the place for you. While there is a 'down-town' area, it's mosly pawn-shops, corner cafes, and heavy industry. As mentioned, Portland, Or. is a stones throw across the river to the south, and provides enough 'big city' fix for most transplants.

Vancouver is one of (if not THE) fastest growing municipalities in the country right now. There's a lot of housing being put up in the 'burbs, and service businesses to go along with them. The house I lived in when I went to HS (15 yrs ago) USED to be surrounded by fields with only a SMALL grocery store about a mile away to the east. Now that house is surrounded by even more houses, that small grocery store sits in the shadow of a ginormous grocery outlet place, and more houses are being built even further east from that. Traffic is starting to reflect the building trend, and is not as free flowing as I remember it, but then I remember parts of vancouver where the only thing for a 2 Mi. radius was a 'new' gradeschool, a house, and an old 'tall steeple' church across the road from it. All the rest was open field or woods. Now that school is surrounded by strip-malls, apartments and light industry.

Finding something to do here all depends on what your interest are. If you like the outdorrs, you'll love it here. If you like to museum hop.... not so much. Heres some shots of the Gifford Pinchot NF that I took while scouting out a new place to go 'Hurting Dirt':

Three shot panorama, left to right
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills006.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills005.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills004.jpg

Flowers
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills009.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills008.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills007.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...hpok/hills.jpg

Random sighting
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...k/hills010.jpg

All of those shots were taken less than a 20 min drive from home. ( well.... more like 30-45 min... but we were just knockin' round in the hills and not heading to this 'particular' spot)

I have yet to find a place in the NW that is NOT motorcycle friendly, though ignorant drivers are still a factor (just like anywhere). Theres a lot of beautifull backroads for your sunday rides too.

As far as crime goes... the Portland Police does most of the shootings around here (no... really.. I'm dead serious ) but other than that violent crime is reletively non-existant. Meth-labs seem to be our biggest problem, but the 'tweakers' don't go in for the violent side of crime... they mainly stick to the 'major annoyance' crimes: car burglery, ID theft, mail fraud.... etc.
There is no way to rule Innocent Men. The only power any Government has is the power to crack down on Criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many thing to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws.

-Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged

BRING FUSTER BACK!!!
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to X2and4X Send a message via Yahoo to X2and4X
you would like it.

Bryan

99' 4runner SR5 4WD/81' Vanagon Westfalla ed.
X2and4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
98661, flowers, forum, tweakers, vancouver