YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

View Poll Results: Sprint vs. Verizon
Sprint 7 26.92%
Verizon 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Churnd
Sprint vs. Verizon

Who should I go with? I'm moving to Cincinnati in the fall, and I need to change my phone carrier. Sprint has a cheaper family plan for my wife and I, but I worry about their coverage. I've heard reports in the past that it's not very good compared to other services, but I know they've supposedly revamped their network recently. If you have Sprint, let me know what you think.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Click here to search!

My Website
Churnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TFJ-4runner Send a message via Yahoo to TFJ-4runner
I'm on a sprint family plan, going on three years. They have have pulled a 180 in all of their services. The family plans is top notch. The unlimited nights and weekends also start a 7, unlike most networks. I have only dropped 5 calls in the time of having this plan. My phone is an older nokia so I know thats good for an older phone. I say go for it I have nothing to complain about with them. Hope this helps.
TFJ-4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Localmotion
I always say Sprint for the West Coast and Verizon for the East.

Verizon Customer service is absolutly terrible. That is the only downside with Verizon minus thier lack of bling phones.
Localmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Send a message via ICQ to DrBeau Send a message via AIM to DrBeau Send a message via MSN to DrBeau Send a message via Yahoo to DrBeau
Sprint used to have the 2nd worst customer service of the carriers. Nextel had the worst. Now they're one company.

Also, I've always found Sprint's converage crappy. I still think Verizon has the best network (I currently use Cingular, whose commercials are almost an outright lie).

No, I am not actually a doctor...yet.
-----------
1998 4Runner SR5- 4x4, V6, AT, Factory E-Locker-
Mods: Satoshi Grill, Alpine HU, E-Locker Mod -otherwise Stock (for now)
To come: Music!, Rear Storage/Audio box/Sleep area, York OBA
DrBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #5

I swapped from Cingular (past few years - no problems, best coverage & CS IMO) to Verizon (new crackberry, w00t!) for the employee discount. So far, it's been spectacular service, both voice and data.
Wishlist: TJM T-15; Custom rear bumper; 2" suspension lift; Satoshi mod; Gray-wire; Sliders; Full length skid plate; etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Wow, thats gayer than me!!
OutdoorLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #6

Look at the Sprint and Verizon Websites for their Map Coverages.... Sprint here in Metro Detroit is pretty good...... Going up to Northeastern MI there is no Coverage... Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, and etc is hard to get up there.

Also, for good sprint information check out www.sprintusers.com as they have good information there.

Btw, I had a friend who lived in Pedal (?) Mississippi years ago and he joined the Marines and I lost touch with him.... Good luck with the Move.

Traded in: 2007 Camry LE Silver

Last edited by Rivalred; 05-23-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Rivalred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #7

Another question... I wonder if it'll matter if I get the phones registered living here in Hattiesburg, MS or should I get them registered in Cincinnati...

Click here to search!

My Website
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #8

Please, oh mercy GAWD, do NOT go with Sprint. Their business practices are just short of racketeering. I have written about my ordeal with them in detail elsewhere but to keep it short, I'm in the process of trying to establish the basis for a class action lawsuite against them for predatory and illegal business practices. They extended my contract twice without notifying me -- once was for simply enquiring about a different type of phone. When I threatened to cancel my contract after a year of dropped calls and intermittent service, they tried to get me to change my mind by offering me some "free" services, none of which I asked for. The "free" services were billed to my account, I never used them (road side assistance and texting), and it took 5 phone calls over a period of six months to just get them to stop billing me. I never have yet recouped the money they charged me.

If you have a problem with them, you will never speak with anyone from corporate. For that matter, you'll never speak with anyone for whom English is their first language. They farm out their support to Bangladesh and the language barrier is a nightmare. After I started having problems getting them to act on what we verbally agreed to on the phone, I started asking them for written documentation of our agreements via email. They refused to email me and repeatedly refused to put anything in writting. They refused to escalte my problems beyond their helpdesk and refused to get me any information about who I could contact over and above their standard customer service lines. It took a letter from an attorney to get that info.

These are just my experiences, but I've found out since getting these plan "extensions" and extra charges slammed up my ass that I'm most certainly not the only one.

I'd recommend that you get a mobile phone plan from the Russian mob before I'd recommend doing any business with Sprint.

Ed
*SOLD * '95 4Runner|32x11.5 BFG TA KOs|Hi-flow Cat|Dynomax muffler; 2.25" exhaust| Downey Headers|4.88 gears |Detroit EZ locker |Detroit TruTrack|BJ spacers|Downey HD coils|2" rear spring spacers|Rancho RS9000X/RS5000s|WARN hubs|TJM T15
'94 FZJ80 | Burgundy | 285/75 Revo's | Cobra 29 WX NW ST |
'96 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab 2.7L
Epic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TFJ-4runner Send a message via Yahoo to TFJ-4runner
It depends, are you getting them for family members across the country or for just traveling?
TFJ-4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #10

Well, the situation I'm faced with now requires that I turn in my work phone today, which I use for my main phone. They just sprung this on me yesterday (convenient, I know). So I'm forced to make a drastic decision. I need a phone now, but will be moving in 3 months or so. That's why I'm not sure where to get the phone registered.

Ed, I was almost 100% sure I was going with Sprint until I read your testimonial. How recent are your experiences? I'm not going to be using my phone for much calling at all... text messaging is my main form of communication.

Click here to search!

My Website
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Contributing Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwh91102
I've had nothing but bad luck with sprint, there customer service, and billing is a joke. I have verizon now and have no problems with it, my buddy has cingular and has no problem with it. By the way churnd i'm just outside of cincinnati, all the providers have good area coverage around here. Wait to get the phone here, you don't want to have to call long distance to call your cell from home
89 SR5 p/u 3.0 5 speed, doa cams, downey headers, jacobs igniton, self made isr pipe, electric fan, 14"flowmaster, allpro rear spool, 63"chevys, 4crawler 2"bl, bj spacers, skymanufacturing u-bolt flip & shock tower, ranchos, 1 1/2 square tube bed, aisin hubs, 35x10.5x15 super swamper boggers.....For ever a work in progress

2000 Tundra SR5 V8 4x4 Bone stock DD/Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
Looks like Oly's hole is gonna be busy....LOL!
dwh91102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #12

I have had Sprint for 4 years now (?) and did not have such issues like Epic Ed.

Have you checked into Cingular at all? I hear good things about them also.

Traded in: 2007 Camry LE Silver
Rivalred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #13

Oh -- and I've been using Verizon for my business phone for nearly two years, and for my personal/family plan for about 9 months. The coverage is heads & shoulders above that from Sprint here in the PHX metro area. I was also able to have a crystal clear phone call with my with in PHX while I was hanging several pitches up the face of El Cap in Yosemite last year. The year before with my Sprint service, I couldn't get through at all (Sprint only had the ability to run my call over analogue towers from Yosemite, while Verizon and Cingular have digital towers available on thier network). I really haven't had any cause to use their customer service at all during the two years I've been doing business with them. To me, that's the best kind of customer service.

Ed
*SOLD * '95 4Runner|32x11.5 BFG TA KOs|Hi-flow Cat|Dynomax muffler; 2.25" exhaust| Downey Headers|4.88 gears |Detroit EZ locker |Detroit TruTrack|BJ spacers|Downey HD coils|2" rear spring spacers|Rancho RS9000X/RS5000s|WARN hubs|TJM T15
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churnd
Ed, I was almost 100% sure I was going with Sprint until I read your testimonial. How recent are your experiences? I'm not going to be using my phone for much calling at all... text messaging is my main form of communication.
We finally ended our first extension last October with my wife's phone. My contract was still locked in until March of this year but I GLADLY paid the $150 fee to terminate early.

Do some additional internet research on Sprint's business practices and you'll find worse horror stories than mine. I'll post some links if I run across them today.

Ed

* A very quick search turned up this:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_...sprint_pcs.htm

Last edited by Epic Ed; 05-23-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (-1)

Get a temp cell phone for now with prepaid minutes until you move and wait and see what the best deal is in your new location.

I'm fixing to ditch my cell phone for the most part and go LINC w/ a cell phone as 90% of my calls on my cell would/could be LINC calls as well...and LINC is cheaper.

waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Send a message via ICQ to DrBeau Send a message via AIM to DrBeau Send a message via MSN to DrBeau Send a message via Yahoo to DrBeau
I really have to re-emphasise that I think you shoudl go with Verizon. I've either had to deal directly or indirectly with Verizon, Cingular, Nextel, and Sprint in both a corporate and personal environment (well...not personal for Nextel). I also have friends/co-workers with Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If I had to give an overall rating it would go like this:

3. Verizon
4. T-Mobile
5. Cingular
6. Sprint
7. Nextel (Nextel and Sprint are now one company)

I realize I didn't put a #1 or even a #2, because I don't feel any of them deserve the title of "best" or even second place. I'd say Verizon, Cingular, and T-mobile are all better than one another in different ways (ie customer service, coverage, dropped calls, phones, etc.).

Verizon, even though their customer service can be so-so, here's how I would lay it out:

Good:
People speak English (Americans)
Generally helpful (I'd rank them like most tech support lines...it depends who you get on the other end)
Some Verizon stores are really helpful

Bad:
I'd rank them like most tech support lines.
They're American (depends on who you get; I've gotten some 'tude)
Some Verizon stores will screw you out of everything

I think that's enough for now. I'm tired of typing.

-----------

Last edited by DrBeau; 05-23-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #17

Hmm... shying away from sprint a little more...

Keep in mind I'm mainly going to be using this phone for text messaging. Calling will be very limited. The reason I'm going with either Verizon or Sprint is because they run on a CDMA network. My hearing aid doesn't play well with the GSM that Cingular has. I used to have a Cingular phone, and hated it for that reason. I tried out a CDMA phone and haven't looked back (it's a Cellular South phone, which sadly is only local to southern states).

I'm aware that most of your complaints may not apply to my needs, but I'm still taking them into consideration. Keep 'em coming!

Click here to search!

My Website
Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churnd
My hearing aid doesn't play well with the GSM that Cingular has. I used to have a Cingular phone, and hated it for that reason.
I hear you on that. I have Cingular right now, and anytime it's near speakers of any kind you get this morse code-type pulsing every few minutes (I imagine it's checking in the with network or something). I could see how that would be SUPER annoying for you.

EDIT: Yeah...no pun intended on that first sentence. Haha.

-----------

Last edited by DrBeau; 05-23-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #19
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to EWAYota Send a message via MSN to EWAYota
I had sprint for 7 years. Lots of dropped calls, phone issues and crappy customer service. I didn't switch early because I was able to score a really good plan thru them for cheap, and I had free Sprint to Sprint calls, so I could talk to my girlfriend at the time for free when I was gone. I spent half the time on the West Coast, and half on the East Coast, both equally bad in coverage.

This past winter, I finally switched plans over to Cingular after debating between them and Verizon for a few months. Bottom line came down to a conversation I had with a buddy of mine who is, to put it bluntly, a tech nerd. Talking to him, made me feel that Cingular was the way for me to go, so I went that way and couldn't be happier. I have yet to have a dropped call from my signal.

On the other hand, my sister who lives in Tenn. had Cingular and hated it. Said she dropped calls all the time cause her coverage was horrible, so she switched over to Verizon and has been satified since. My buddy agreed with what she was saying, commenting on the fact that Cingular has a better West Coast coverage and Verizon was better on the Eastern side.

So I would have to say Verizon would be your best bet, but I have yet to check out the other companies coverage's in the area your looking at. With you using your phone more for texts though then actual calls (like me) then you'll have to see which plans work best for you. My cingular plan is a 49.99 a month plan with 450 daytime and i think 5000 night time minutes (not 100% sure on the 2nd figure, but I hardly use it, so I have roll-overs like no others business). For 10 or 15.00 more I have 1000 texts and 5mb worth of monthly internet which i have yet to surpass.

Another option you have I think though, you might be able to pay a bit more a month so you dont get locked into a long term contract and are month to month. One of my trainers paid a extra 5.00 a month with sprint to go month to month so he could cancel anytime he wanted and not have to wait out a contract. That is something you might want to look into since you still have 3 months to go before you move.

1990 4runner SR5, 22re, auto....baby mobile
EWAYota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #20
Contributing Member

Oh...some other things I thought of:

You mentioned the weird noises created by a GSM phone. Sprint and Nextel are one now. Nextel phones do the weird "Cingular noises" even worse than Cingular. If you end up with a Nextel-network phone (if they even use that network anymore; I'm not sure) this could be a big annoyance.

Another thing is those coverage maps are really general. Looking at the map for my area I know that Sprint basically doesn't work in 3/4 of Carlsbad (a local city). On the Sprint map it shows the entire city (along with most of the surrounding areas) have full coverage of Sprint's super-ultra-mega network. Just a heads-up.

-----------
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
blackberry, cincinnati, coast, coverage, detroit, diego, east, hattiesburg, horrible, internet, richland, san, speeds, sprint, verizon, vs, wa