YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Mud-Runner
Ideas to secure/hide a game camera to catch poacher

There's a trespasser that drives through my property every rifle deer season and I'm getting sick of it. I've put up signs and fencing, but he just ignores the signs and cuts the fence. I want to catch him on camera, but I also don't want to lose my $200 trail cam. I read one idea online of building a bird house and putting the camera in there. Anyone have any other ideas of ways to hide a trail cam that won't draw suspicion or built anything to secure the camera?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Mud-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (-1)

Do you know their identity?

:wabbit2:
waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

I'm pretty sure I know who it is. The tire tracks I see every year are Firestone Destination M/T's and the property owner next to me comes up every November in his Jeep Grand Cherokee (without plates/registration) with those tires. But I haven't actually witnessed the vehicle on my property.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #4

put it in a tree. wrap a good cable and padlock around it. ive personally been in front of game cameras in the woods and if its on there good it aint goin nowhere. you will have pictures of the tresspasser trying to get it off the tree haha. its your land lock it up good in plain sight.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

two words, spike strips in the dirt. haha

If you don't catch him while getting his butt towed outta there, I highly doubt he will be back for another trip. Just make sure they are further in to where it would cost him extra for the tow truck because it's off-road.

Put a sign up as well saying this land protected by random spike strips. Then he can't sue. rofl.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

87 P/U 4X 5sp Weber Downey Hdr 2.25 Exh EB 268

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-22-2010 at 07:22 AM.
xxxtreme22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #6

I would hide the camera so that it takes a picture of his face and car from the side, this would mean it is level with the door of the jeep. Look around for a tree near the tracks and be sure that it has some cover, but the big thing is that it needs a clear view. It it doesn't have a clear view it will get the exposure all wrong and you will have a dark picture of a bush.

Also get the state fish and game involved because I know in some states if a hunter doesn't get permission to cross land they might loose their hunting privileges. They also might have some ideas on what to do and might loan you a few cameras.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #7

Just shoot him and tell the cops he looked like a deer. Kidding obviously.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r View Post
two words, spike strips in the dirt. haha

If you don't catch him while getting his butt towed outta there, I highly doubt he will be back for another trip. Just make sure they are further in to where it would cost him extra for the tow truck because it's off-road.

Put a sign up as well saying this land protected by random spike strips. Then he can't sue. rofl.
I agree. That's what i would do. Would probably be very easy to make too.

Crimson Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

As much as I'd like to pop a few of his tires, that would give him all the more incentive to do the same to me.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-Runner View Post
As much as I'd like to pop a few of his tires, that would give him all the more incentive to do the same to me.
he won't be able to do much when he's locked up after you catch his ass for trespassing. lol.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

It's like a $50 ticket here from the DNRE (fish/game).

Edit: unless he shot a deer on my land or did some sort of property damage.

Last edited by Mud-Runner; 11-23-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Contributing Member

I'd take the diplomacy route. Why not just talk to him? Why not just ask him if he goes on the land? We have the ability to communicate for a reason

1996 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner -- SOLD

6" IFS lift * Front: Tundra TRD Coils/Bilstein 5125 * Rear: FJ80 Shocks/Coils * ARB Bull Bar + Warn M8000 * 35" MTR's * HID's * OBA * E-locked!
BajaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-Runner View Post
It's like a $50 ticket here from the DNRE (fish/game).

Edit: unless he shot a deer on my land or did some sort of property damage.
Here in PA, tresspassing on agricultural property (does not have to be farm land includes property with trees) it's a max 1 year jail and a minimum $250 fine. This does not include whatever gun laws he is breaking at the time. ie discharging a weapon on private property. Game laws protect the gun in the vehicle, but it's not state game lands your dealing with. Also does not include jail time and fines for hunting/poaching.

Just something to research for you.

You also said he's cutting the fence so he is damaging property.

Another way to look at it is if the state you are in considers the deer or whatever he is hunting to be a part of your possession/property and he kills/removes etc etc said animals then it's stealing and is then considered burglary as well. It's a stretch but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRunner View Post
I'd take the diplomacy route. Why not just talk to him? Why not just ask him if he goes on the land? We have the ability to communicate for a reason Click the image to open in full size.
I don't see that guy actually coming out and saying he's going on there, he will most likely play "stupid". So he'd be in the same boat as he is in now.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-23-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #14

Isn't it more than just trespassing if someone is hunting on your property? I'm not a hunter, but when someone shoots a deer, don't they have to tag it and include where they shot it when they fill out the tag?
35x12.50s
Rear ARB, Dual Ultimate Cases, and 5.29s
Check out my Build Thread

DD: '95 Mx5

Wheel Responsibly, Don't screw it up for the rest of Us. . .
grant526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant526 View Post
Isn't it more than just trespassing if someone is hunting on your property? I'm not a hunter, but when someone shoots a deer, don't they have to tag it and include where they shot it when they fill out the tag?
Yeah, that's why I added the edit. If it's only trespassing it's a $50 ticket. If he shot an animal on my property he would have to forfeit the equipment he used, pay a large fine and could lose hunting privileges for a number of years. If he damages property I can sue for up to 3 times the value of the property. But all this has to be able to be proven in either civil or criminal court.

And they only have to list the county where it was shot.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #16

And as far as securing a game cam. I don't have a lot of experience with them, nor have I figured out a good way to secure one from theft and or vandalism. But it's been suggested to me that you put some kind of sticker or tag on the front that says "weather data" or something along those lines to deter people from messing with it. I guess they are supposed to see it as less of a theat or something.
35x12.50s

Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #17

Proving it in court would be a bugger. Even getting it into court would be a Huge Pain.

I take it as you don't know your neighbor very well? How long have you two been neighbors?
35x12.50s

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
And as far as securing a game cam. I don't have a lot of experience with them, nor have I figured out a good way to secure one from theft and or vandalism. But it's been suggested to me that you put some kind of sticker or tag on the front that says "weather data" or something along those lines to deter people from messing with it. I guess they are supposed to see it as less of a theat or something.
Weather data - that's not bad. Or maybe make a box for it and put a sticker that says tampon disposal. Ok maybe not.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Proving it in court would be a bugger. Even getting it into court would be a Huge Pain.

I take it as you don't know your neighbor very well? How long have you two been neighbors?
Don't know him. He only comes up during hunting season. His property is vacant the rest of the time. It's for sale. Anyone who's not a douche bag want to buy 240 acres in Northern MI?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
camera, cameras, catch, conceal, game, hid, hide, hiding, people, poachers, secure, trail, trespassers, woods, yotatech