YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Question I want to tint the windows on my garage door

OK, I live in Phoenix, and it is hotter than Hades here right now. My garage has windows on it, which face west. I am thinking I could reduce the temperature in my garage by adding reflective tint to the windows.

Here is what the windows look like:
Click the image to open in full size.

And here is the "pleasant" temperature in my garage at nearly 6PM:
Click the image to open in full size.

So does anyone have any recommendations for reflective tint? Thankfully it would only need to be cut into a square. The "templates" or design of the windows you see in that first picture is an insert on the other side. Any suggestions other than tin foil?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-09-2006 at 04:59 PM.
rimpainter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #2

Hell, just buy some 5% tint and bondo squeegie from walmart.

Or spraypaint those boogers!
acreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

yeah, i was gonna suggest window tint from Walmart too. I'd probably go with 20% though so you still have some light and visability.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Christian-
I don't know anything about tinting those...but have you considered insulation for your door? When I lived in Houston (read: hot and humid), our garage door had insulation on it (some type of dense foam, I'd assume), and the garage stayed a good bit cooler than outside. Just food for thought.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Interesting idea Neil. I always thought of insulation as a heat retainer though. Hmmm, I might have to look into that as well. First thing I need to do though is keep the rays from coming in.

I also thought of buying a small AC unit and mounting in one of my two square "vents" on the south wall. It is so stinking hot in that garage right now! And I just started welding and have some projects on deck. I can't let the heat win!

I felt like I was going to die yesterday at 4PM with head to toe protective welding clothing on!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Jimmeh Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmeh
We have insulated doors and an AC unit in our garage, and it stays about 20 to 30 degrees cooler then outside during the summer. In fact, I was out working on my bike today, which is about 90 or so outside, and it was a comfortable 68 degrees in the garage.

1992 "Toyota" Ranger XLT 4X4 4.0 EFI Auto. Lots of mods on and to come.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab short bed 318 V8 with a 5 speed manual transmission. The big ugly bastard of a work truck.
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access cab. My grandmas truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
LOL. Sorry, I never do anything half way. The Fustulator is nuclear powered....or if you are at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., that is pronounced 'nukular' :hillbill:
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

That sounds great! My uncle is an AC pro. I am going to talk to him more about installing AC in there. I think with tint on those windows, insulation on the door, and an AC unit going it would be tolerable. It was 110 here today, so I am guessing the potential temp in the garage with all those "mods" could be in the 80's.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwh91102
An attic fan or two always helps a bunch also.
89 SR5 p/u 3.0 5 speed, doa cams, downey headers, jacobs igniton, self made isr pipe, electric fan, 14"flowmaster, allpro rear spool, 63"chevys, 4crawler 2"bl, bj spacers, skymanufacturing u-bolt flip & shock tower, ranchos, 1 1/2 square tube bed, aisin hubs, 35x10.5x15 super swamper boggers.....For ever a work in progress

2000 Tundra SR5 V8 4x4 Bone stock DD/Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
Looks like Oly's hole is gonna be busy....LOL!
dwh91102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Yota4runner Send a message via MSN to Yota4runner
We have tinted plexi glass on our Garage door= can't be broken and can't see in..but you can see out due to the glare on the other side. bb

1988 X-Tra Cab 4x4. V6. Stripped to the frame.

1998 Chevy Chyenne Extended Cab, pretty much stock, except for a few cosmetics.

Last edited by Yota4runner; 07-09-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Yota4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Localmotion
yea AC would be a great bet, and so would insulation.

You can just get lots of cans of the Greatstuff and do it that way...LOL

They actually use some type of that now-a-days to insulate.
Localmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Not long after moving in we decided to do something about the windows on our garage doors as well... We did it for multiple reasons, solar load , security, and privacy... We have a 3 car garage (2 9' doors and 1 10' door). The doors are solid wood so there's not quite the same heat load as an aluminum one. Anywho.. Since it is NICE to have the added light from the windows I suggested something kind of unique. What we wound up doing was getting sheets of plexiglass from Home Depot and I measured the sizes I needed for each window (12 total). I then took some "Privacy Film" that they make in rolls and sell along with the shelf liner they sell in the kitchen/bath area at the depot.. The film is made for bathroom windows or other windows that you would like some privacy from yet still have light ( a frosted effect). I cut all of the window panels and the covered them with the privacy film then used stainless screws to put them on, it made a HUGE difference in the solar load since it was like adding a double pain to the glass, we now have pivacy in the garage, (No one can look in to see if anyone is home, etc...) and the plexiglass is all but unbreakable so it makes it more secure. I know you have metal doors but maybe you could rig up the same thing, or at best try the privacy film on the glass first and see if you notice any difference. If not, I beleive you can get UV Blocker film (Also avail. in mirrored) and that too will block ALOT! Regular tint can STILL let solar load occur, but one with specific UV blocking added, makes a HUGE difference! A friend of mine put it on his Beach House in Fla. on the sliding glass doors and said it was an amazing difference and cut down on his A/C bills in a VERY noticable way!. Any of these suggestions along with an A/C unit should work very well! I've rambled on far to long . but hopefully these ideas will work. Lemme know what you decide to do.. BEST OF LUCK!

Last edited by GrizzlyNC; 07-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
GrizzlyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to PirateFins Send a message via Yahoo to PirateFins
I would get some mirrored tint from either Walmart or Autozone/any carparts place. If you go the double pane route suggested above make sure you get Lexan/Hyzoid, as Plexiglass can be broken (it is more brittle than Lexan).

For the garage door insulation you can find it in Home Depot/Lowes. There are 2 types One is the hard high density foam board that comes in sections and is glued one (you can do it yourself by buying 4x8 sheets of the stuff and cutting it), the other is like a blanket with a plastic type face (forget how that is attached).

Another idea if you add AC (or even if you don't) is to put a small ceiling fan in there to help circulate the air. I added one to mine and it makes a difference. Of course I don't live in AZ but it gets humid as heck here in the summer.
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
I'd experience an O so big it'd show up on the richter scale.

92x-cab dlx 4x4 22RE, Pacesetter header, everything else is so stock it's not funny, cause I don't have the money!
04 F150 FX4 SuperCrew
PirateFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #13

If it were me the first thing I'd do is make sure there are eave vents up under your roof overhang to let air in the attic, then put either a roof or gable mounted electric or solar powered fan in to circulate all that hot air out.

edit: here's an interesting link for attic ventilation http://www.houseinprogress.net/archives/000796.html
Fiamm 125db. low note horn
Pioneer 50w x 4 cd player, Polk speakers

Last edited by SolidDigital; 07-10-2006 at 10:54 AM.
SolidDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #14

ebay is good for tint. in our old apt, i tinted all the west facing windows with 5% tint. boy, talk about a night and day difference!

bob
Bob_98SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Great ideas guys. Taking the simplistic approach, here is what I am going to do for starters:

1. Tint the windows with reflective tint from Wal Mart
2. Buy a portable air conditioner, like this one from Costco. I even have two vents ready for exhaust. Should I run 2.25" or 2.5" piping?
3. Look in to insulation for my garage door.
4. Check out additional circulation options, such as the Patton High Flow fan they have at my local Costco right now for $50.

So for $500 or under I should have a garage that is in the 80's (or lower) depending on outside temps.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #16

Dude -- I have a lot of work to do on my money pi...errrrr, I mean 4Runner. I may end up running this same set up. Have you bought the AC unit yet? Or, better yet -- I'll just come over to your place. I'm sure your wife won't mind one more vehicle in the garage.

Ed
*SOLD * '95 4Runner|32x11.5 BFG TA KOs|Hi-flow Cat|Dynomax muffler; 2.25" exhaust| Downey Headers|4.88 gears |Detroit EZ locker |Detroit TruTrack|BJ spacers|Downey HD coils|2" rear spring spacers|Rancho RS9000X/RS5000s|WARN hubs|TJM T15
'94 FZJ80 | Burgundy | 285/75 Revo's | Cobra 29 WX NW ST |
'96 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab 2.7L
Epic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #17
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

No prob Ed. I will let you know when I get everything set up and you can come over and get a "feel" for it.

I might go for swamp cooling over AC though. I still have to clear that up with my uncle. I am in Seattle right now, but I will let you know when things get rolling in the garage! Later.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to wjwerdna
so if your garage door is metal, and it is aluminum, it will be absorbing heat and transferring it to the garage pretty quick, definately go for some insulation there, like that one inch fiberglass board with silver coated paper or foam board or something

and another thing not mentioned or brought up, what color is the outside of your garage door, if it is not white or very light colored, make it so...
YotaTech Profile Custom Bumper Link
for sale:
??? Nothing?
wjwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

The door is white on the outside. That is the one thing I have going for me here. Thanks for asking though.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Send a message via AIM to drguitarum2005
your people and your fancy garages! here in houston we like to work out in the shadeless driveway when its 100 degrees outside! woops...thats why im inside writing on here rather than working on my truck, im waiting for later

2000 Taco TRD Access Cab
v6 | 5spd | 33" BFG A/Ts | 33" PC Mud Terrains | OME 882's | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy 63" leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3" BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod | Lots of lights

Pictures
drguitarum2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
attic, bronze, door, fan, garage, gf14, httpwwwhouseinprogressnetarchives000796html, httpwwwrewcicomgfgacovesyhtml, maryland, plexiglass, privacy, sheets, tint, whats, windows