YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Andrey Send a message via AIM to Andrey
Faucet with Remote Control?

This might not be exactly 4Runner related, but that's what we have Off-Topic for, right?

Well, I'm about to install mist system on my patio, but the faucet for water supply is all the way around the house. Running tubing is pretty easy, but what I was thinking is to have some sort of remote control for that faucet. So instead of going all the way around, I can just turn on/off the faucet remotely. Is there a such thing as faucet with remote control even exists?

I've seen that done somewhare, but I can't remember the name of that place for the life of me....

Thanks,
-- Andrey
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

- 1" lift PP springs, deckplate mod, amsoil air filter, optima battery, alum. skid plate, alum. tube steps
- Pioneer 8500MP, PhoenixGold Amp + Infinity Kappas, RockfordFosgate Amp (mono) + Audobahn 10" Sub
- Yakima roof rack, Silverstars, Black Pearl emblems, Wet Okole seat covers, Wood Trim
- TRD Supercharger, 7th inj. kit... weee heee!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I picked up a Orbit Underground Faucet Timer at Wal-Mart. Works like a lamp timer. I don't have to remember to water a very small section of my lawn that ALWAYS gets baked during the heat of July-September. Plus it works while I'm away on vacation.
'01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl's: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC'd LC 16x8's w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper AT3's

"He who wants to protect everything, protects nothing." -Lt. Gen. Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
"There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
This might not be exactly 4Runner related, but that's what we have Off-Topic for, right?

Well, I'm about to install mist system on my patio, but the faucet for water supply is all the way around the house. Running tubing is pretty easy, but what I was thinking is to have some sort of remote control for that faucet. So instead of going all the way around, I can just turn on/off the faucet remotely. Is there a such thing as faucet with remote control even exists?

I've seen that done somewhare, but I can't remember the name of that place for the life of me....

Thanks,
-- Andrey
What about a Sprinkler Valve all you have to do is wire in a remote or just a way to supply the trigger voltage to the valve for it to turn on and off, Just a idea. Could maybe use a X.10 Power module to open and close the circuit from inside the house or anywere you have a controller.
96 4Runner SR5 SC | 3" Revtek Front/OME 891 Rear,Diff/Panhard Drop|AirLift bags|285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grappler|Eaqle 121 w/TRD Logo|Bilsteins|Cross-Drilled PS w/PF Pads|Silver Reverse Gauges|Custom Grill|Catch-All Floor Mats|Sylvania SilverStar|Weather Tech Visors|Clear Corner/Fronts|Alpine MP3/WMA/CD|99+Headlight/Console Mod|K&N FIPK W/Drycharger|Optima Redtop|Trans-Cooler|Remote Start|PICS|PICS2|
Old 05-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Ok, I've found this:

https://www.smarthome.com/3103.html

Looks like what I need, but no remote control. Unless there is a possibility of wiring remote control there somehow....

-- Andrey

- 1" lift PP springs, deckplate mod, amsoil air filter, optima battery, alum. skid plate, alum. tube steps
- Pioneer 8500MP, PhoenixGold Amp + Infinity Kappas, RockfordFosgate Amp (mono) + Audobahn 10" Sub
- Yakima roof rack, Silverstars, Black Pearl emblems, Wet Okole seat covers, Wood Trim
Old 05-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/sprinklers.htm

http://www.smarthome.com/3102.html
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: All Toyota Search Engine
Old 05-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but why don't you just run the line from wherever the faucet is to where you want to be able to turn it on off and install a valve in line there. Then always have the faucet turned on.

Rockfrogs
Pics
Old 05-03-2004, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but why don't you just run the line from wherever the faucet is to where you want to be able to turn it on off and install a valve in line there. Then always have the faucet turned on.
You can buy a Faucet with a supply valve in it and you won't have to keep the faucet on. like this one

Faucet

'85 extra cab pick-up, Up on blocks waiting for time and money.
'85 4-runner with 3" lift, 33's, 4.88's, rear ARB (still trying to get air to it), Downey intake with K&N filter, some type of header, Camo Int.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PirateFins Send a message via Yahoo to PirateFins
Is there a power outlet near the faucet? If so this is what you do....

Parts needed - All rated for Outdoors use.
1) Water flow control valve solenoid 120VAC NC (normally closed, power to open). Plumbing supply store or maybe Lowes / Home Depot
2) Remote controled power outlet relay, like a christmas light remote control unit. Make sure the one you get is rated for the amperage of the solenoid. Lowes / Home Depot.
3) 3 conductor (2 conductor w/ ground = 3 cond) 14 AWG, SO / SJO type or similar cable. (SO / SJO is a type of outdoor use cable). Only needed if outlet is farther away from the hose bib than the leads on the solenoid. Lowes / Home Depot
4) Male 120VAC plug. Lowes / Home Depot
5) Misc. plubing fittings to adapt hose bib to solenoid and solenoid back to hose connection + pipe sealent. Lowes / Home Depot.

Assemble as follows

Attach misc. pipe fittings with sealent to solenoid and hose bib. Install solenoid onto hose bib.
If leads for solenoid are shorter than distance to power outlet. Connect solenoid leads to outdoor rated cable and wire plug to other end. Eventhough water pipe is technically grounded it is good practice to terminate ground wire in cord to the hose bib.
Turn on water at hose bib and check for leaks.
Plug remote controled power outlet relay into house outlet, plug solenoid into relay outlet.
Operate remote control. The relay should close and power the solenoid, which will open the solenoid allowing water to flow.
Check for leaks on other end of solenoid and hose connection.
Enjoy your new remote controlled faucet.

PM me if you need ideas for water solenoid types, or want any other ideas or instructions.

Brad
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
I'd experience an O so big it'd show up on the richter scale.

92x-cab dlx 4x4 22RE, Pacesetter header, everything else is so stock it's not funny, cause I don't have the money!
04 F150 FX4 SuperCrew
Old 05-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

An in-line valve seems much more practical! Not to mention easier!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapguy
Very true! I was just hoping for convinience of remote control. Plus the convinience of not walking around the house to turn mist on or off.

I already have irrigation system that is remotely controlled, so keeping things on the same level is sort of my goal. If it is achievable, of course!

-- Andrey

Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PirateFins Send a message via Yahoo to PirateFins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapguy
not really, after you got all of the parts it would only take about 15-30 mins to assemble and test.
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
I'd experience an O so big it'd show up on the richter scale.

92x-cab dlx 4x4 22RE, Pacesetter header, everything else is so stock it's not funny, cause I don't have the money!
04 F150 FX4 SuperCrew
Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bib, control, controlled, faucet, forum, hose, opening, remote, solenoid, sprinkler, system, timer, valve, valves, weathertech