YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Sponsoring Member
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Do you shuffle your feet when you walk?

So... I'm in my office, and it's a fairly quiet side of the building, but there are two people who come by every-so-often that shuffle their feet when they walk.

It drives me NUTS.

Are these people so lazy that they can't pick up their feet? It really grates on me and I'm not sure why.

I've noticed this "issue" I have before. It may be from my upbringing, but I don't have explicit memories of my parents really getting on me for it.

This also seems to be a cultural/ethnic thing... The folks that I've noticed who habitually shuffle are all Asian.

This is mostly a rant, but I'd be interested in hearing from folks that either shuffle or find that it drives them nuts when other people do it.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
midiwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Tacoma Dude
Hmm... I haven't noticed if I shuffle.

I have on occassion caught the end of uneven pavement before though. That's embarrassing
Tacoma Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Contributing Member

A little off topic, but on the topic of things that drive me nuts. There is this guy at work who is overweight and when he walks around he makes this wheezing sound like he is constantly short of breath. So you hear him coming from down the hall and then he get to your office and starts telling these random pointless stories. He's a nice guy, but he drives me crazy .
Alright, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Rhino Spray on bedliner
Rayday81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #4

By shuffle, do you mean drag their feet?

If so, that really drives me nuts.

I guess it's a trend in the teenage group (as I see it mostly with teens) to drag your shoes as you walk
KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
Sponsoring Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Yeah, draggin' your feet as you walk.

The folks in question at the moment aren't kids - they're edu-ma-kated coders about 30-35.

argh...

I think I may have to put out a "STOP SHUFFLING" barracade...
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
Old 01-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by midiwall
Yeah, draggin' your feet as you walk.

The folks in question at the moment aren't kids - they're edu-ma-kated coders about 30-35.

argh...

I think I may have to put out a "STOP SHUFFLING" barracade...
I totally feel your pain.

It totally drives me nuts as well.
KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Is it related to the type of shoe they're wearing, like open-backed Birkenstock's? Mostly women? If so, it's an Asian flirting thing. They want you to pounce on them like the American manly-man you are.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Sponsoring Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by BT17R
Is it related to the type of shoe they're wearing, like open-backed Birkenstock's? Mostly women? If so, it's an Asian flirting thing. They want you to pounce on them like the American manly-man you are.
!!

Nah... One is female but the other is male. They're both wearing closed shoes. The guy also mumbles, stutters, and generally can't communicate.

That's another pet peeve of mine... You're in a world where you need to communicate your thoughts, ideas and results yet you make your colleagues wait for frickin' EVER for you to get a sentence out. Then you nod a lot like you understand what's being said to YOU, but low and behold! At the next code review, you haven't written anything like _WE_ agreed on..

wow... rant day huh?

And that's only after ONE Diet Coke about 3 hours ago!

Time to get out and take a walk.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TheLaw
it's bugs the hell out of me too!

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to pass a pet peeve on to someone else, like the dragging of the feet, people chewing with their mouth's open, etc. It's the type of thing that you don't notice until someone points it out, and from then on, it's got you! The reason I say this is because I think the reason the feet dragging bothers me because my mom, for one reason or another, metioned that there was this person at work that did just that, and it drove her nuts. From then on, I started to notice it more an more....
Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #10

I got this guy at work who will spot me from across the showroom and start heading towards me and then just as he gets close to me and will usually say something like.

".....and that's what I told him. What do you think about that?"

Think about what you moron. I can't read minds. I don't think he can differentiate between talking out loud and talking in his head.
He constantly does this.

Or he walks up to you with a piece of paper with an invoice number on it and just holds it up to your face and doesn't say a word.

Your like "Wtf ! " We call his albino ass "Powder" We all think, he thinks he has ESP or sumthin.

Our workplace has a bunch of weirdos.

One guy looks like, dresses like and talks like Bobby Hill.

Another guy talks and acts like Corky Ramono (during the FBI interview)

One guy kinda looks like chewbaca but we call him Sasquatch cause he went snowboarding nude one time and he looked just like the "Kokanee Beer" Snowboarding Sasquatch (from the commercials....Canadians will know what I'm talking about)
Old 01-30-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to jx94148
Quote:
!!

Nah... One is female but the other is male. They're both wearing closed shoes. The guy also mumbles, stutters, and generally can't communicate.

That's another pet peeve of mine... You're in a world where you need to communicate your thoughts, ideas and results yet you make your colleagues wait for frickin' EVER for you to get a sentence out. Then you nod a lot like you understand what's being said to YOU, but low and behold! At the next code review, you haven't written anything like _WE_ agreed on..

Sounds more like drunkenness on the job to me.

I'm always very conscious to move about as quietly as possible.

My roomate is somewhat overweight and we live in an old house with creaky floors. I've mastered walking around on the joists or whatever you call the floor supports to keep them quiet but my roomate just thunders around wherever his overloaded feet care to land causing tons of racket. Yeah, it bothers me to.
jx94148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #12

I kinda do...but I think it's the shoes. With my sneakers or boots I usually don't.

I don't think I'm so bad that it's audible...but I can get a shock out of every bit of metal in the office.

Jim
jruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #13

Ok anyone ever seen the bounce walk???
Where people kinda bounce on their toes before they take the next step. I think its hereditary, but it still drives me nuts.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:54 AM   #14
5 Year Member

Send a message via AIM to tenfourtyeight
Quote:
Originally posted by jethro358
Where people kinda bounce on their toes before they take the next step. I think its hereditary, but it still drives me nuts.
Holy hell, that is annoying.

Quote:
And that's only after ONE Diet Coke about 3 hours ago!
Diet Coke gives me a headache.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to TheLaw
Quote:
Originally posted by jethro358
Probably not hereditary, but learned from one's parents. You ever notice how a male who has been only raised by his mother will tend to walk like a woman?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 AM   #16

(note to self: self...if i ever meet mark, make sure to shuffle my feet to perpetuate the belief that asians shuffle...preferably in gravel or sand to maximize shuffling sound)

bob

(total joke, mark )
Bob_98SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:10 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to AznSky
I shuffle my feet

I'm asian

-_-
Old 01-31-2004, 09:24 AM   #18
Contributing Member

Here's a couple of hints that might save your allot grief.

A person, who talks to themselves, is unable to communicate, and looks agitated could be suffering from a mental illness. Here are some terms for you:

Post traumatic stress syndrome
Attention deficit disorder
Social disorder

Not every one's life is perfect. Have tolerance. Ask intelligent questions and be sensitive. Don't just make uneducated assumptions of whom or what they are.

So ... take a moment and consider the world is bigger and more complex than that little cubicle you sit in.

Some people live in small worlds. And small worlds lead to small minds. Food for thought.
amusement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:31 AM   #19
Sponsoring Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
(note to self: self...if i ever meet mark, make sure to shuffle my feet to perpetuate the belief that asians shuffle...preferably in gravel or sand to maximize shuffling sound)

bob

(total joke, mark )
!

I think it's one of those things that I find annoying when there's nothing else going on, ya' know?

When I started this thread, I was sitting in my office, fighting with some code, and it was dead quiet - except for the occasional shufflerer coming down the hall.

Jim, you brought up your gate... I haven't seen you walk a lot, but I don't think you really shuffle like I'm thinking of. You have a slow gate, and you kinda' drag your toes sometimes, but it's not at the "OMG STOP IT!" stage. (ummm, not that I've noticed!)

Toyo;

I hope you didn't think I was being mean when I tried to draw a parallel between race and this kind of a walk. I wasn't. It's just what I've noticed through the years.

Do you mind if I ask you questions about this?

amusement;

I understand completely, I've been diagnosed as ADD and manic as well (but that's another thread!). The communication issues I mentioned aren't coming from medical places. In the cases I'm thinking of, I read it as a pure lack of responibility (or, you could say it's a case of pride getting in the way) that the person wouldn't just say "I don't understand".

When I receive direction in a meeting, or one-on-one, I always always go through a summary of what I understand my role is in the task. I didn't always use to do this, it's something I've learned that I needed to do - because I _was_ that person nodding in a meeting only to screw up later down the road.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to AznSky
Quote:
:
Toyo;

I hope you didn't think I was being mean when I tried to draw a parallel between race and this kind of a walk. I wasn't. It's just what I've noticed through the years.

Do you mind if I ask you questions about this?
Nah I didn't think you were being mean at all. And you're right, I've noticed that a lot too.

As for questions.....I don't know what exact questions you could ask me about this subject, but ask away!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
arm, asians, bball, bent, feet, illness, lazy, peeves, pet, rant, shuffle, shuffling, slightly, stop, walk