YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

The Difference between Cute and Handsome...

Sparked by recent dialogue, I have a question for the community:

I believe there is a difference between cute and either handsome or beautiful depending on gender. I think that some women are cute, but not beautiful while some are beautiful, but not cute. There is an implicit sophistication with beauty, while a puppy is cute, a perfect German Shorthair would be beautiful.

In that vein, having almost always looked like my friends father, or at least almost always looked 18 or older, I have never been called cute. In that way, bears are seldom cute, only occasionally handsome.

A friend is a particularly tall, precocious woman. She looks like the archetypal, buxom, long legged, tall woman. She is selfconscious of her looks because as a child she was never cute. You aren't cute when you look like that, you are beautiful.

What say you? I guess what besides post pictures of this woman!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

exatly, and a difference further yet between the two aforementioned terms and the term "hot"
OEM/TRD Lift Kit #1 from Sonoran Steel with 1 Top-out spacer - Lexus GX470 rims - 295/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers Yukon 4.88's, E-Locked Rear, Waiting to blow up front diff #2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to habanero
I don't know. I've never been cute. I have been called handsome back when but not particularly ever beautiful. Hot? That I seriously doubt.

Problem is, there is no concrete definition for any of the above because it's so subjective. Ex: most men either of my sisters think of as hot or handsome I find lacking and same from them for my choices.

In other words, the words cute, handsome, beautiful and hot can be applied to the same person depending on the tastes of the describer, therefore individual definitions varied.

'99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber View Post
Habanero - you ride a Gary Fisher, you change your own oil, AND you have a man-eating pumpkin pie as your avatar. You are anything BUT a soccer mom. :D
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Habenero brings up a good point-

I was thinking the issue is that we are talking about descriptive words which necessarily have subjective meaning to each individual. (i.e. my definition of "cute" "hansome" and "hot" are different than yours). However, Hab got be thinking that there are two levels of subjectivity here, the definition of the word, and also what qualifies under each definition. (Even if we had the same definition, our opinion of what qualified under that definition would vary)

But to your original point (I think), My definition of these words sounds similar to yours; hansome and beautiful generally refers to "classic" beauty (tall, fit, symetrical, etc.) while cute means something else entirely, more similar to saying something is visually pleasing.

Oh and Habs- you have posted photos so we all know- You are cute, beautiful and hot.

-Scubaduck
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to habanero
all very carefully selected....

(and thanks)

'99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber View Post
Habanero - you ride a Gary Fisher, you change your own oil, AND you have a man-eating pumpkin pie as your avatar. You are anything BUT a soccer mom. :D
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

My opinions:

Cute.....shy/cuddly and attractive(usually funny too).
Beautiful......sophisiticated and very attractive.
Handsome.....strong masculine and mature(not my cup of tea, i like cute guys).

I have been told i was cute when i was a little heavier....I hated that word! Now that i feel better about my appearace im fine with it cause i get beautiful and hot with it....

Hab you have been told on this board more than once that you are hot!! Jeez....dont be so modest you hottie!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein View Post
Sparked by recent dialogue, I have a question for the community:

I believe there is a difference between cute and either handsome or beautiful depending on gender. I think that some women are cute, but not beautiful while some are beautiful, but not cute. There is an implicit sophistication with beauty, while a puppy is cute, a perfect German Shorthair would be beautiful.

In that vein, having almost always looked like my friends father, or at least almost always looked 18 or older, I have never been called cute. In that way, bears are seldom cute, only occasionally handsome.

A friend is a particularly tall, precocious woman. She looks like the archetypal, buxom, long legged, tall woman. She is selfconscious of her looks because as a child she was never cute. You aren't cute when you look like that, you are beautiful.

What say you? I guess what besides post pictures of this woman!
Women are beautiful.

little girls, puppies, small furry creatures, and jeeps are cute

Snapping bolt heads off of transmission bolts is also "cute", but in a different way.

You are neither cute nor beautful, but since you are neither a woman or a small furry creature, this is good.

As for a bear, i'll venture to say you make a handsome bear...handsome enough, at least, to leave you with a warning: be careful logging, should you come across a female bear.

1987 Mutant 4runner|Slightly Modified|Lacking general build direction|Now on 35's-Parts truck-SOLD

1989 Project 4runner-The Redo-SOLD

-Lifts and Tires look cool at the Mall, Lockers and Gears look cool on the trail.

-Internet Nice Guy

Last edited by AxleIke; 03-15-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Some interesting ideas.

Culturally, or subjectively normed language is not a break through. What is interesting is HOW you use this in your settings.

Thematically, it is interesting that most, like me, associated beautiful and handsome with maturity and sophistication. Cute came with simplicity and innocence.

In the woods, I worry more about the people I am with. Some times I go to stump and my Carhartts get tight.

A friend came over when two guys from back home were visiting. She is a freshman at CSU and they raved about how cute she was.

I am confident I will never be cute, but I have perhaps done some cute things?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

expressed opinion (is not mine!!! but i was dumb enough to ask) was told im cute in the morning and handsome only when im dressed up

women are beautiful. girls are cute. broken bolts are U G L Y
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
I was traumatized. I had nightmares of trained attack tupperware beef-logs chasing me all night! Don't bend over, Fuster!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Just pile us nekkid in an engine bay and drizzle us with gear oil and watch the fun!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
tc
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
You are neither cute nor beautful, but since you are neither a woman or a small furry creature, this is good.
Damn Isaac - I was all ready to jump in and say something and hope to divert Adrian's attention away from your other 2 jabs at him, but, well, now ....

You ever heard the phrase "Don't poke the bear"?
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
tc
Contributing Member

Oh - and Flygt ... you've been doing some very deep thinking lately. All that schoolin' finally sinking in?

Or are you going crazy from a lack of 'wheeling?
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

I believe Flygt has spent to much time on the toilet because hard thinking will cause that to happen...

No back topic, cuite, = babie, litttle girl, small boy or child. puppies!!

Attractive, some beauty and a little sophiscation

Beautiful , tried and true blue blood... American Beauty like a perfecrt rose, striking qualities!!

Handsome = erotic, ellquent, deep aluring and sphocated, some of a fantansy!! Looks that can kill....

TJ
Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

It is thesis week at my place. I honestly think like this most of the time, I just keep it to myself unless provoked.

Some people are students of philosophy as a recreation, I am a student vocationally and based on feedback from the last two months, I am starting to get good at it!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
Damn Isaac - I was all ready to jump in and say something and hope to divert Adrian's attention away from your other 2 jabs at him, but, well, now ....

You ever heard the phrase "Don't poke the bear"?
He knows i love him, platonically and otherwise...Its all in good fun, and because his deep thinking has forced me to work my brain, something i'm not fond of, i feel retaliation is in order.

1987 Mutant 4runner|Slightly Modified|Lacking general build direction|Now on 35's-Parts truck-SOLD

1989 Project 4runner-The Redo-SOLD

-Lifts and Tires look cool at the Mall, Lockers and Gears look cool on the trail.

-Internet Nice Guy
Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
beautiful, called, cute, cutehandsome, descriptive, difference, guys, handsome, hansom, hot, ordinary, person, qualifies, qualities, words