YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

chevy avalanche rear brakes

Anyone know how to get the rear brakes off a chevy avalanche?

more precisely the drivers side rear....the passengers came right off.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
lift shackels in the rear
3 inch BL
Buck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Contributing Member

A Bfh.

3D 85 4Runner SR5 | 33" BFG M/T on flat black rims | Chevy springs | Custom Grab cage with overhead cb mount | Custom fabbed center console | Freshly rebuilt axle with IFS hub/caliper swap | Rock Sliders | Lots more...

In Colorado, Dig.
getitdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to snap-on
adjust the shoes in so they dont catch the lip of the drum....

we are talking drums/shoes right?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

lol that's what I thought. There is a dust sheild on the inside of the rotor so you cant hit it that direction. Gonna try smacking it the other direction and see if it will move at all.
3 inch BL
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

they are front and rear disks...with a parking brake
3 inch BL
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Contributing Member

smack the drum part towards the truck. Not away like your thinking. Trust me, it will nock it loose enough to pull off.
Sometimes you gotta hit it REALLY hard. Don't be scared to wail on it.

3D 85 4Runner SR5 | 33" BFG M/T on flat black rims | Chevy springs | Custom Grab cage with overhead cb mount | Custom fabbed center console | Freshly rebuilt axle with IFS hub/caliper swap | Rock Sliders | Lots more...

In Colorado, Dig.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

thats my plan for right now. but it is a rotor not a drum.....
3 inch BL
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Sponsoring Member
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

I use a strategically place brass drift and beat the stink out of it 'til it breaks loose.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Cebby
Are the e-brake shoes the type that push on the inside of the rotor "hat"? That's how my JGC ones are. Maybe release the e-brake? Sometimes it is something simple...
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to WillsFJC
Being a former Chevy dealer tech I will give the definitive answer to this. Hit the center part of the rotor near the hub(of which the center part is actually a drum for your e-brake) with a big hammer pretty much all over. Whack it from back to front of the vehicle, front to back, and in towards the truck. Eventually it will come off. You do risk warping the rotor in this case, although there isn't much you can do about it. Check your e-brake shoes and the drum surface closely because there's usually a reason they stick. Those e-brakes are notorious for burning up when left on.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Localmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsFJC
Being a former Chevy dealer tech I will give the definitive answer to this. Hit the center part of the rotor near the hub(of which the center part is actually a drum for your e-brake) with a big hammer pretty much all over. Whack it from back to front of the vehicle, front to back, and in towards the truck. Eventually it will come off. You do risk warping the rotor in this case, although there isn't much you can do about it. Check your e-brake shoes and the drum surface closely because there's usually a reason they stick. Those e-brakes are notorious for burning up when left on.
wow, I didnt know it took so little to warp rotors. I dont tihnk changing brake pads are vehicle specific...LOL

I use a rubber hammer and just hit the outermost part of the rotor, it will eventually come off.
Localmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #12

I wasn't trying to be an ass with that definitive answer part, I've just encountered several of those things, and no amount of rubber hammer will take the worst of those off. I remember one that came in where a lady had left her e-brake on long enough to burn up the e-brake shoes, brake pads, and managed to weld the metal shoe to the drum portion of the rotor. There's a reason the brake light flashes if you leave your e-brake on on those things.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Localmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsFJC
I wasn't trying to be an ass with that definitive answer part, I've just encountered several of those things, and no amount of rubber hammer will take the worst of those off. I remember one that came in where a lady had left her e-brake on long enough to burn up the e-brake shoes, brake pads, and managed to weld the metal shoe to the drum portion of the rotor. There's a reason the brake light flashes if you leave your e-brake on on those things.
sorry man, I wasnt implying that you were an ass. My bad. I figure this is just a normal BJ(brake job you sick0s!) yea, there are lots of idiots out there
Localmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Sponsoring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localmotion
sorry man, I wasnt implying that you were an ass. My bad. I figure this is just a normal BJ(brake job you sick0s!) yea, there are lots of idiots out there
So is there a correlation between toothless technicians and great "BJ's"?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #15

I knocked my front teeth out doing rear brakes on a van once...

Now as far as those other types of bjs, I leave them to the girlfriend.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:59 AM   #16
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks guys...I beat the heck out of that rotor last night with a 3lb sledge...still not off....the ebrake is not set..but we went ahead and disconnected the cable also just in case....

it is definetly the ebrake that has got it by the short hairs but I cant get this thing off so far....

I want to bust the dust sheild off the back side and beat the rotor from that side...my brother doesnt want to do that...YET...
3 inch BL
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #17

Keep beating, you may have to hit the surface of the rotor but you should not have to mollest the backing plate in my experience. Either way those things are a mother f'er, good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #18
Contributing Member

I wouldn't hit the surface of the rotor. Only hit the drum part(IE ebrake part). I would get a bigger hammer or look on the drum part for two threaded holes. Usually they have these threaded holes to screw in two bolts. The bolts push against a part on the other side which in turn pops the rotor off. Hopefully your rotor has em.

Good luck and get the damn things off!

In Colorado, Dig.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #19

The Chevy rotors in question do not have bolt holes. If it really is as frozen on as it sounds he probably will have to beat the rotor surface as well and buy a new one, obviously this should be a last resort.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
Sponsoring Member

What if you heat the rotors at the lugs with a torch? Maybe the expansion caused by heat would help break it loose.....
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, 2005, avalanche, backing, brake, brakes, change, changing, chevy, front, job, pads, plate, reaqr, rear, shoes