YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Topic, Wiki Discussions, Fraudulent Vehicle Listings, & Stolen Rigs > Off Topic Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic Talk If it's non Toyota & tech related, put it here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Broken Odometer - Legal To Drive/Sell Car?

My buddy's car's odometer stopped working. The speedometer still works but the odometer got slower and slower and finally stopped. I'm assuming it's something with the gearing of the number wheel inside the dash since the speedo is still indicating properly.

This is an old beater Nissan and he's not wanting to put a lot of money into the car. However I'm hearing that here in California it's illegal to operate a vehicle with a broken odometer. I figured when he traded it in or sold it he could just state the odometer was not accurate. Does anybody know if by law it has to be fixed or replaced? Anybody have experience with odometer issues and the DMV?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

It depends on the state you are in. When I lived in Florida there was an odo exemption for cars over 10 years old. California may be more strict. I'd start by looking at the California DMV's web site. Maybe call 'em if that doesn't turn up anything useful...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Its legal, you both need to sign an odometer reading statement which you can get at the DMV. There is a box that says something to the affect that both parties acknowledge that the Odometer reading is not accurate.

2007 Tacoma DC TRD
ARB bumper, XD9000, 285/75/16 procomp xterrains (3ply), 16x8 4.5" backspacing, OME 886s, Dakar leafs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to jx94148
They probably will arrest you and make you pay $2000 bond for such an infraction in the Republik of Kalifornia. Budget shortfalls...

In Colorado I think its 7 years before used vehicle sales are exempt from odometer scrutiny. The titles for all of my vehicles have a zero in the Odometer box.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I should think it is not illegal as long as your friend discloses the defect to the buyer. It's the attempt to defraud part that is illegal.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I read the California Vehicle Code books and apparently as long as you're not trying to defraud someone by purposefully changing the mileage it is OK that the odometer does not work. When you sell the vehicle you just have to note on the title that the mileage is not accurate. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is it the seller's responsibility, legally, to ensure that the speedometer is working in a vehicle before selling it in the state of Virginia? Have paid to have the vehicle calibrated ($55) and had to purchase a GPS system (Garmin Nuvia: $93) to ensure speed of car was accurate. This will save $300 to $400 in having a speedometer put in, but I'm out the $148 unless it's the seller's responsibility for a working speedometer when the car is sold.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett71755 View Post
Is it the seller's responsibility, legally, to ensure that the speedometer is working in a vehicle before selling it in the state of Virginia? Have paid to have the vehicle calibrated ($55) and had to purchase a GPS system (Garmin Nuvia: $93) to ensure speed of car was accurate. This will save $300 to $400 in having a speedometer put in, but I'm out the $148 unless it's the seller's responsibility for a working speedometer when the car is sold.
Sweet mother of thread bumps....5 years really?

\/Current Junk Pile\/

12 Toyota Tundra - TRD beauty queen DD
87 Toyota 4Runner - SAS, locked, geared, armored, abused, heart transplant underway
79 Toyota Pickup - Neverending resto rig
Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

when i sold my 92 se-r mine wasnt working, so i dont think washington state cares because of its age and miles.

haha wow i just noticed the 5 year old bump too

"everything you do to your truck makes me want to facepalm... but, hey, its your rig, so do what you do..." -space-junk
Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Those Nissan speedometer and odometers are junk, I actually bought a Pathfinder w/ both broken and had no problems registering them in Cali. The mileage was exempt anyways so it didn't matter.

why am I responding to this old thread anyways???

85 4Runner 22RE Stock waiting for upgrades - Build-Up Thread http://www.yotatech.com/f198/se7enin...thread-227664/

Last edited by se7enine; 02-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banginRunner View Post
Sweet mother of thread bumps....5 years really?
I've been noticing a bunch of first post responders digging up old threads here lately?
1998 4Runner SR5, Surco Safari rack, diff breather mod, Cobra WXST II CB radio, 31" General Grabber AT2 tires, clear corner/bumper lens, hitch mount backup lamps, KC hilites, PIAA fog lamps, PCV catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofer
"ohhh you are one hot 4runner, look at that flex... oh yeahhhh"
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
Yeah...
Teens these days...
(granted I am 19 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
i don't want your pile of crap, i have my own, i just want your pieces off your pile of crap.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
borken, broken, california, car, dmv, drive, illegal, law, legal, odometer, problems, sell, selling, work, working