Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Sonoran Steel

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonoran Steel

Steve did a great job fabricating a custom bumper for my 1st gen right after completing his first run of 3rd gen bumpers. I don't think it was in his game plan to do 1st gens, but he put one together for me anyway. He also kept me up to date on progress and always answers e-mails and pm's quickly. Great guy to work with.

Mike
Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve did an EXCELLENT job in my bumper as well custom fabricating my bumper racks from my crude artists renderings, and was especially good at trying to understand my needs, and constantly running ideas past me, as well as listening to my ideas.

Steve not only has strength, fuctionality, and durability in mind when he builds... but also making sure it looks "clean" and finished. His creative mind and artistic talents are gifts to us 4Runner owners. Steve also is very willing to share his personal 4Runner experience to ensure folks dont go down the wrong paths spending unnecessary time and money. He doesnt BS you, he tells you like it is from his real experience not what is popular myth on the BBS's.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i made a trade with ole' steve-o for some shackle hangers and they were really well made. people still axe about them on occassion. good stuff comes out of sonoran steel!

bob
Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

pan hard bracket and Sonoran diff drop ordered and rec'd in good time

he answers emails pretty quickly too

now if we can only get some $100 sliders from him...

Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

I ordered a diff drop for my tacoma (Tundra coils and a spacer have my CV's looking rough). Steve promptly told me they would take two weeks to ship as he had a heavy work load (and they had to be fabbed), but I think he managed to get them out early. So that qualifies as fast shipping in my book. They look well made, and while I haven't gotten to install them yet, the directions were included in the box and quite clear.

I'd buy from him again, but I think thats about all he makes for my truck
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
I'd buy from him again, but I think thats about all he makes for my truck
Not after this weekend. Can you say "Winged Tacoma Rear Bumper".

A guy from L.A. is driving over and I'll build a proto-type off of his Tacoma. keep the bumper and build a jig for it.

Powder Coat it here and ship it back to L.A.

2"x6" Main beam 1/4" thick. None of this wimpy 1/8" stuff.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

You da man
Old 04-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Not after this weekend. Can you say "Winged Tacoma Rear Bumper".

A guy from L.A. is driving over and I'll build a proto-type off of his Tacoma. keep the bumper and build a jig for it.

Powder Coat it here and ship it back to L.A.

2"x6" Main beam 1/4" thick. None of this wimpy 1/8" stuff.
Interesting. Still going solid sides?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:02 AM

Ive gotten several Items made by Steve.
Allways a professional,insightfull,and great designer!!
Take a look!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
Interesting. Still going solid sides?
Yep. It's going well, need to finish it up tomorow.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Being the guy who drove out from CA, I can tell you it is one bad bumper. Steve very carefully shaped the main beam to blend in well with the lines of the '04 Tacoma and then built the wings to match. The bumper resembles the 4runner bumper, but with a 6" beam.

I stood on the forward-most edge of the wing while it was still (heavily) tacked to the main beam and bounced up and down to see if the steel would move. Those wings aren't going anywhere. I'm guessing I could lay the truck into those wings and not have them move too far laterally either.

I pitty the rock that tangles with this bumper.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Steve Schaefer/Sonoran Steel

Excellent guy to buy from and work with. I drove out from California and met him at his place in Tempe (after he placed a wake-up call to a wayward Californian) to have a bumper designed and built for my Tacoma. What I got over the course of the next two days completely exceeded my expectations and, I now realize, is stronger than I anticipated.

The bumper is attached to the frame with six of the original factory bumper-mount bolts in existing holes in the frame. The mounts themselves are 1/4" plate steel welded to the bumper on all sides (both sides of all attaching plates) with over 12 linear inches of welded surface per side.

I've jacked the rear of the truck up using either of the shackle hangars as well as the center of the wing (with only slight deflection). The wings are 3/16" plate steel with a slightly angled design that lends strength in all directions. While I haven't brought the truck to rest against the wing on the trail (yet) I don't think there will be an issue.

The rear of the frame of my Tacoma will fail long before this bumper does. I got some great armor and usable piece of trail equipment for a very good price. I would recomend this bumper and Sonoran Steel to anyone out there looking for a rear bumper for their Tacoma.
Attached Thumbnails Sonoran Steel-bumper01.jpg   Sonoran Steel-bumper04.jpg   Sonoran Steel-bumper03.jpg  
Old 09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

So I ordered my Shackle Hangers from Steve. From inquiry to delievry was about 2.5 weeks. All my questions via email were answered within 24 hours, sometimes they'd be within 10 minutes. Steve and I exchanged 15 or so emails before I gave him the goahead to build htem. Fromt he time he had my money to the time USPS arrived at my door was about a week, and that included hte Labor Day weekend.

These things look STRONG AS HELL. I had my DesignFab teacher look at them, becuase I wanted to build a pair myself, modified a little bit to work out back. He looked at the hole and Grade 8 bolt, and asked me "Why the hell is htat there?" I replied "So if hte welds break, the bolt would ensure the steel tab, and whatever is attached to it dosent hit someone int he head." He yelled back at me "The moon will hit the earth before this weld bead breaks!"

So yea, Theyre hung up ont he fence int he back right now. I cleaned them up with a wire brush on my drill (took like 2 hours), primed htem with Rustoleom brown, and shooting them with Rustoleom flat black.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006

These things look STRONG AS HELL. I had my DesignFab teacher look at them, becuase I wanted to build a pair myself, modified a little bit to work out back. He looked at the hole and Grade 8 bolt, and asked me "Why the hell is htat there?" I replied "So if hte welds break, the bolt would ensure the steel tab, and whatever is attached to it dosent hit someone int he head." He yelled back at me "The moon will hit the earth before this weld bead breaks!"
haah! that is an awesome story thanks for that dude.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Sonoran Steel Fabrication, L.L.C

Steve at SS is a great guy to do business with, answers emails fast and effectively, stays in touch with you, fast fabbing and shipping.

Highly Recommended, 10 out of 10!

Fink
Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up IFS rear truss

Steve was really easy to communicate with and the fabrication was awesome! I would definately recommend doing business with him. Now all I need is more money so I can get a bumper and sliders from him.
Chris
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 AM

Ditto's and Kudo's

Steve carries Daystar products at great prices. Just got a set of 1-1/4" lift shackles from Steve today - talk about painless! I contacted Steve on Thursday the 19th of Jan via e-mail, and have the shackles in hand today via UPS.

Thanks Steve! owe ya a roady soady
Old 01-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Steve is great! Ordered my T15 from him and it was here very fast as to what i had originally expected it to be. Great communications, and very willing to put up with my frequent questions, which was a big help. Thanks again!

~jonathan
Old 01-25-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve likes goats, but he makes good truck parts.

Hats off!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

I ordered Steve's TJM hoops and a 3.5" Panhard bar. They're Great! Steve was very helpful and discussed any and every concern I had. Once again another satisfied customer.....

Thanks again Steve.

Quick Reply: Sonoran Steel