Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Magnuson: Supercharger Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Magnuson: Supercharger Rebuild

As some of you already know, I recently acquired a used 2nd gen TRD supercharger with about 90K miles on it. Despite smooth and strong operation on the donor vehicle, I decided it might be a good idea to get the SC'r rebuilt before it goes on my 96. I explored many options, including rebuilding the nose drive myself, and possibly going with an alternative company, PSE. PSE lost my business because they were $25 more than Magnuson, and the owner was flat out rude to me on the phone.

Anyway, I would like to praise David Gonzalez over at Magnuson for superior customer service. He was pleasant on the phone and answered all my questions effectively. Turnaround was lightning fast at approximately 6 business days from when I sent the package till I had the SC'r back in my hands. The return packaging was excellent and consisted of the original SC'r box, plastic wrap around the SC'r, a cardboard piece protecting the pulley/nose gear, paper wrap, and custom fit foam packaging. All ports were capped off or sealed in some manner.

I was also surprised to see a brand new boost diaphram and hose from the diaphram to the back of the SC'r. I had removed this piece to ship it out.

Anyway, the cost was $610 for a completely rebuilt SC'r, including new rotors, bearings, seals, oil change, case cleaning, etc. Basically it looks like a new SC'r. It cost $25 to ship it out and insure it for $1000. The return shipping price was about the same. So for $660 I basically have a brand new SC'r.

Magnuson answers on the first ring and connects you promptly with the department you need.

My only suggestion would be for Magnuson to return emails. All correspondence was done via telephone because my emails seem to vanish into thin air. However, the service I received via telephone was superb.

I am assuming the SC'r is going to work like new, but I won't know until I put it on.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:29 PM

so you can get a completely broken sc, send it in and they will rebuild it?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Well, that all depends on what is broken. They do an initial inspection, commonly referred to as "cracking it open and checking things out." If stuff was shattered or busted in there, it could be unrebuildable. They would probably do the inspection and let you know what it needed. That is what they did for me.

I think you would be chancing it by sending them a non-functioning model. Who knows, maybe it would work?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 AM

Yo 96 Runner, Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i recently emailed Magnuson about the replacement nose piece, which i got in reply was they dont make them nor sell them anymore. The Guy who emailed me back was that David Gonzalez guy.

Who did you go with to ship it? Since im out here in AZ too, I just got my tax return in and its getting removed hopefully this weekend to get shipped out to be rebuilt. Send me a pm, i had a heck of a time finding this thread. And you say it took about a week. Hope mines a bit quicker than that cant go w/o my truck for that long of a time haha
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM

So I just got my sc'er rebuilt by magnuson and the David gonzoles guy. It had 180,000 miles on it and was making a slight noise that sounded like the nose drive bearings going out. I made the mistake of shipping it out to them before getting an "rga" number. I had to call them, and they assured they'd rebuild it quickly so I paid about $850 for an entire rebuild. It took more than two weeks to get it back and when I did either the coating on the pulley had been stripped off by some sort of solvent, or it was another pulley all together. Either way it was in worse shape then when it was sent out. I slapped her on and it made more noise than before. I put fresh heads on at the same time because the headgasket was going bad. I thought it couldve been something else so I changed my pulleys and all the bearings that could make the noise and it's still there. It also never stopped leaking oil out of the nose drive after the break in period. This never happened before. Today I took it off and put a stock manifold on, bingo noise is gone. I am thinking of either sending it back (David said that he'd rebuild it again under warranty..."if it is their fault"), or finding someone else to rebuild it. I found another thread on a ford site where another guy had almost the exact same experience with them, which really scares me. Has anyone else heard of this happening? If I do get it rebuilt elsewhere, where could I get it rebuilt? Would I be better off doing it myself? I don't want to risk sending it back and having them tell me it's not their fault, and charging me again. I paid way too much money for this bs, I couldve had one with 30,000 miles for just a little more.

Last edited by Mrbikerman; 10-01-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry about your experience with them. Obviously a lot can change in 5 years and a [now] broken economy. Give them a chance to make it right and see what happens. Please post back here with the results.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Just got the call from PSE. My blower had not even been fixed, after I sent it in to magnuson twice and paid 850$ for the reman. NEVER send anything to magnuson for rebuild, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. I wasted 6 months and nearly a thousand dollars on them, and they didn't even swap out my oil. David gonzales is a terrible person that gives a bad name to everyone else in the car business. DO NOT Send your blower to them for ANY REASON!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have any correspondence with David that you can post here such as his replies to your concerns, etc?

Things changed that much in 5 years? Wow.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm not sure if I have the emails from last summer, that's when the problems started. I am in contact with the ompany at the moment and I will let everyone know what happens. In the mean time I'd recommend PSE superchargers in OK
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM

This may be an old thread, but I'll be coming into ownership of a supercharger that has 80k on it and I am thinking of either getting it rebuilt or replacing the nose drive. Whatever happened to the bunk rebuild Mrbikerman? Did Magnuson ever make things right for you?

Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
I'm not sure if I have the emails from last summer, that's when the problems started. I am in contact with the ompany at the moment and I will let everyone know what happens. In the mean time I'd recommend PSE superchargers in OK