Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

Propane Conversion Kits for 22R

Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
This is Cary from Gotpropane.com. I found this thread by and wanted to clear some things up. It has been said on nash lift's site that their kit is the same as mine. It is not even close! I hate my first post here to be like this and I'll make sure not to you guys. As a matter of fact I'm suprised they were able to jump on here and pimp stuff as I just read the rules for joining here. Long story short, they sell a forklift kit and nothing else! Why take my word on it in this day and age of lying retailers? Just look at the name of the company! Feel free to ask any questions.
Cary
480-430-8033

Last edited by propane; 12-06-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Hey "propane". Thanks for posting. A guy I work with started talking about wheeling with propane the other day and recommended looking into it. He told a story of being at near 90 deg and having gasoline flowing out all over. Made him a propane fan. Said he has his Dodge Powerwagon buggy set up with it.

I'm checking your site now.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family propane
Old 12-06-2008, 02:52 PM

How can the 22R kit be a forklift kit when forklifts don,t even use the 22R engine? ALSO, IMPCO doesn't even make components that are dedicated to forklift use, or if they do we are not aware of it. To put our customers at ease, we will even let you specify the IMPCO part numbers that you would like in your kits and quote you a price accordingly. Even if these were forklift kits, that would be a great compliment due to the industrial heavy duty application that industry demands. EXAMPLE: A 5,000 lb. capacity forklift fully loaded will weigh about 15,000 lbs. (how much does your Toyota weigh) powered by a 4 cylinder engine & shifting from forward to reverse at full speed. This is accomplished with IMPCO propane prodcts sometimes running 3 shifts a day. (we also use IMPCO products) Don't let the smoke get in your eyes guys, Let us build your next kit at a savings of about $200.00.

Bill Nash, 859-881-1577 ext.222

Last edited by 22Rpropane; 12-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
propane is overrated id just efi it
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 22Rpropane
How can the 22R kit be a forklift kit when forklifts don,t even use the 22R engine? ALSO, IMPCO doesn't even make components that are dedicated to forklift use, or if they do we are not aware of it. To put our customers at ease, we will even let you specify the IMPCO part numbers that you would like in your kits and quote you a price accordingly. Even if these were forklift kits, that would be a great compliment due to the industrial heavy duty application that industry demands. EXAMPLE: A 5,000 lb. capacity forklift fully loaded will weigh about 15,000 lbs. (how much does your Toyota weigh) powered by a 4 cylinder engine & shifting from forward to reverse at full speed. This is accomplished with IMPCO propane prodcts sometimes running 3 shifts a day. (we also use IMPCO products) Don't let the smoke get in your eyes guys, Let us build your next kit at a savings of about $200.00.

Bill Nash, 859-881-1577 ext.222
Sorry Bill but it's time to compare apples to apples! I'm so glad I found you here because you lie on your website about our kits bieng the same! Why is that? Your kit is comparable to what I sell for the 1.3 and 1.6 suzuki samurai motors. The price is the same but I include silicone diaphrams . Automotive engines are not the same as industrial engines. I'll post up a pic of the kit on my super heavy duty forklift. It's the same kit as yours and it's not a powerhouse by any means. It To say IMPCO doesn't make the components specifically is mis leading. They don't make most of their components for anything specific. You are basically running a 22r as a 1 barrell. Oh, are you saying the 22r wasn't in forklifts? Really? Since when? Or are you thinking 21ru? ,cause it's the same.
These people aren't stupid and will do the research for themselves. I don't care if you want to sell propane kits but STOP THE LIES! This is NOT the same as my kit and you know it. I have customers that already run my kit that have had friends order yours and return it after they opened it and saw something comletely different. The $200 savings isn't saved at all if you get less for your money.
If you switched from foward to reverse at full throttle with my kit there would either be huge black stripes or a blown transmission!

Cary

Last edited by propane; 04-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Well here we are 2 years later and I can't say enough about how happy I am that people do their research before making such a big decision. I love how the truth comes out and I am thankful for that. For anyone who reads this, we have been running this kit on our own truck going on 12 years now, have Hobie Smith finish the King of the Hammers race 4 years in a row on our kit , as well as countless other sucess stories. Thank each and every one of you that have allowed me to be a part of your project!!

P.S. the EBAY kits are NOT the same as mine in several ways and ARE forklift kits.
Good evening gentelmen
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill be ordering my kit in about a month.. planning on hittin up moab in october...hell yeah
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM

i am going pane as well, right now stuck deciding what kind of mixer to stick with, ..my 22R is a stroked motor with forged pistons.

what Compression ratios are best to run the propane?

Last edited by dropzone; 10-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM

I know its an old thread, but i wanted to clear some things up for the d.i.y.ers out there.
i am a forklift technician for toyota, so i know a little about this, but not everything.

The 22r, nor 21ru, nor the 20r were ever used in forklifts, the 5r was, but that was a very long time ago, totally different motor.
the components in a forklift lp (propane) gas system: tank, hose or fuel piping, ceramic filter, lockoff (vacuum off, or electric off), vaporizer/regulator, fule hose to carb, carb.
the regulators are all basically the same function, sometimes things will be a little different on the inside to allow for different applications.
the carbs, there are dozens if not more of different propane "carbs" or mixers. They arent really carbs like a gas engine, they are just a throat, with a big gas line hole for power, and a little hole for idle. There is usually an air fuel ratio adjustment screw or two on the venturi.

I dont know what the difference is between these guys kits is, some say silicone diaphragms, but thats really a big wooptydoo. None of them are specifically forlkift parts, impco makes parts to convert gas engines to propane and natural gas. Also methane. Its not that one or the other is forklift parts, they are both selling impco industrial parts, and it doesnt make a dilly of difference what rebuild kit they put in it. The silicone rebuild kit just lasts a little longer. They still fail. They still get clogged with tar. The best regulators have a TAR DRAIN, most of these little round impco ones dont, or they are mounted in such a way that you cannot get to it easily.
i work on these on all sorts of equipment, stationary and moving. Where i am today they have an old 460ci ford genset with a turbocharged natural gas intake, and guess what. An impco mixer on the top.
The differences in mixers is going to be cfm, or volume of air. Thats the limiting factor. There are all sorts of adapters out there for different applications. A 300ci inline six ford impco adapter is around 30 bucks. Its just a plate with ford carb holes on one side, and impco holes on the other.
the same plate for a 22r is $200 or so from nash, and im not even sure got propane sells individual parts. The reason it costs so much is because it is the one part that you need to make the kit work that you cant find anywhere else. Supply and demand.

So if you are trying to do this yourself, and you already read the first 200 threads before this one, keep at it. The knowledge is out there, and so are propane industrial equipment catalogs.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 AM

By the way the toyota forklift motor is called 3y or 4y. Its found in usa in forklifts and 80s toyota vans.
Everywhere else in the world it was the base engine for hiluxes and hilux surf (4runner here) also available in cressida, crown taxis, maybe some old african corollas or carinas?

There is a dual fuel efi gas+propane forklift engine, but you would need a standalone engine management to run it on the street, the forklifts are governed at 2350rpm
Old 07-28-2015, 11:15 AM

By the way the toyota forklift motor is called 3y or 4y. Its found in usa in forklifts and 80s toyota vans.
Everywhere else in the world it was the base engine for hiluxes and hilux surf (4runner here) also available in cressida, crown taxis, maybe some old african corollas or carinas?

There is a dual fuel efi gas+propane forklift engine, but you would need a standalone engine management to run it on the street, the forklifts are governed at 2350rpm
Old 11-02-2017, 08:12 PM

All these years later we have this kit dialed in. More power than the stock carb,right fuel mixtures for a day of run time on a tank. (5 to 6 gallons in a day of fun) more if you drive it on the road. I use the best stuff I can find for a 20 year or more trouble free system. www.gotpropane.com is the main site. www.propaneconversionparts.com is our online ordering site. Thanks for looking!