YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > YotaTech Classifieds > Toyota Aftermarket & OEM Parts Suppliers > Vendor Advertising
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 823
Performance 3.0 Toyota intake parts

As part of my product research for Rauch Off Raod I'm testing the waters on the 3.0 performance intake parts. basicly we're talking about 3mm overbored Throttle bodies, matched plemuns and ported and polished intake manifolds. I'll also look at ported and polished heads for the 3.0 as well.

These upgrades are typically said to be most effective in the upper ranges above 3000RPM and will see the most effect when coupled with headers and exhaust They will also effect throttle response in a posative way. They will not effect the powerband outside of the "useable range" and may also possitively effect your milage depending on the condition of your vehicle.

Pricing will be fair and will include a core charge, I'll put it together depending on the level of response I get.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
__________________
89 v6 SWB truck *PROJECT "BLACK BEAUTY*
P&P heads, EB's OS SS valves,30 over on the bottom and deckedto zero.

32X11.5 BFGs, Lockrite rear, Supra LSD front.

Last edited by suprathepeg; 01-04-2006 at 01:35 PM.
suprathepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Silver_Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: B'ham, WA
Posts: 1,817
sounds interesting...I personally would be more interested in what you'd charge to bore my TB because I already have the rest.
__________________
-Geoff
*1991 Toyota Pickup Ext. Cab SR5 4x4 V6 5 spd K&N intake, port & polished heads with OS valves, port & polished intake manifold and plenum, NWOR headers and crossover, NWOR catback, Denso Iridium plugs, Redline Fluids, 4.88s, Rear LockRight, Aisin hubs, Chevy springs, BJ spacers, 2" RB body lift, 34x10.5 Swamper LTBs, WolphisWorks Sliders and bumpers, 400,000 mi.
Silver_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Tofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Puyallup WA.
Posts: 9,156
eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
*subscribes* my dad just bored the TB on my brothers car, and matched wiht new exaust and cold air intake make a HUGE difference.
__________________
94 4runner: all the good stuff...
89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, 4.56 gears. 265/75r16 wildcountry ATs. - SOLD
81 2wd pickup: 22R | 5-sp | long bed |Civic SI seats | LockRight | Hella 500s..... SOLD.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pacific-crawlers.com
Tofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 823
Basicly it will be a product with a core charge. So I will have the pieces already done if you want one then I'll send you the OB piece and charge you for the core you send me your core and you get that charge back. It will all be over paypall.
__________________
89 v6 SWB truck *PROJECT "BLACK BEAUTY*
P&P heads, EB's OS SS valves,30 over on the bottom and deckedto zero.

32X11.5 BFGs, Lockrite rear, Supra LSD front.
suprathepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Belvoir, VA
Posts: 160
would be interested depending on the price
__________________
1993 Runner, V6, 4x4, 200k
REMAN engine from Orient Engine
Thorley Headers
Jardine cat back
axon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 823
Sounds like there is some interest here so I'll work out some pricing this week. Keep in mind that I'm not going to work with a machine shop that I don't feel comfortable with just cause they are cheep but I'm gonna work on arranging a fair price.
__________________
89 v6 SWB truck *PROJECT "BLACK BEAUTY*
P&P heads, EB's OS SS valves,30 over on the bottom and deckedto zero.

32X11.5 BFGs, Lockrite rear, Supra LSD front.
suprathepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprathepeg
Sounds like there is some interest here so I'll work out some pricing this week. Keep in mind that I'm not going to work with a machine shop that I don't feel comfortable with just cause they are cheep but I'm gonna work on arranging a fair price.
You're single handedly bringing hope to 3.0 owners everywhere. Start selling a Turbo kit and you'll make a LOT of new friends!

i have the TB, but I'm definitely interested in the intake. I've been thinking about porting one fo a while, even picked up a spare, but it's a LOT of work to cut one in half, bore it and weld it back together.... Sign me up as an interested party.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
dantheyotaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 25
i would also be interested in the price for the bored throttle body?
dantheyotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Toysrme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 273
Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

No disrespect... But why?
The stock intake manifolds are not restrictive until you go adding a few hundred horsepower worth of FI. The stock throttlebody is 70mm... It doesn't NEED to be any bigger.

I'm not making fun, but this is 100% the wrong way about making power. All of the items on this list, except for ported & polished heads, are either honestly a complete waste of time when it comes to making power (I.E. they're not going to dyno next to anything), or the cost VS performance is extremely poor.
Look I really don't mean disrespect to you, or the machine shop. The problem is that this list of products is horrible!!! Horrible horrible horrible horrible!!! This is just NOT how you go about making N/A power on any Toyota v6!

You're picking those last few mods that give that last 10% of power you're looking for when you've got big power. As it stands, that product list is going to give someone N/A that 1% of power they're actually looking for - while costing them out the yin-yang.

People are either going to be very pissed off at what they gained, so embarressed they won't speak up, or simply don't know any better when they gain 10-15 horsepower after paying you all that money that honestly - could be spent making much more power in other ways.




Get some 300-400hp+ 3vz-e's floating around, and then you might get a little gain from this product list, but... Like I said I am so sorry, but I can not endorse any of that, or the simple idea of it. I would feel bad just letting people buy a throttlebody, or a re-worked intake without saying anything.
__________________
AIM/Yahoo/ICQ - Toysrme257th
PM for anything, anytime; including v6 turbos!
BoostPic!

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-04-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Silver_Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: B'ham, WA
Posts: 1,817
There's a decent amount of info out there and I believe there are some dyno charts showing that boring the tb 2mm (maybe 3mm) does give a numerical gain. Although I believe that the biggest restriction on mine (and everyone else who has headers) is that dam afm, because the heads intake and exhaust flow plenty well but that little 2.5" or so hole in the afm is smaller then any other part of the engine (other then the intake runnners (but theres 6 of em)
__________________
-Geoff
*1991 Toyota Pickup Ext. Cab SR5 4x4 V6 5 spd K&N intake, port & polished heads with OS valves, port & polished intake manifold and plenum, NWOR headers and crossover, NWOR catback, Denso Iridium plugs, Redline Fluids, 4.88s, Rear LockRight, Aisin hubs, Chevy springs, BJ spacers, 2" RB body lift, 34x10.5 Swamper LTBs, WolphisWorks Sliders and bumpers, 400,000 mi.
Silver_Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #11
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 943
Dont worry about the afm That is being worked on already

As well as 3vz-e cams Those coming soon!
__________________
-Johnny

---------------------------------
'96 Taco V6 4WD Auto with 262 S2S Cams
New 5VZ-FE & 3VZ-E Cams available
5vz-fe Stock CR FI Pistons NOW available!
www.sea2skytuning.com
Plug and Play EMS!
Perfect Power, Hydra EMS, Arias, Pauter, Manley Performance Dealer....

Last edited by Weasy2k; 01-04-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Weasy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Toysrme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 273
Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

Ya, a numerical gain. Small single digits. Then add that with a ported upper intake manifold that will also give fairly small single digits until it see's forced induction via a turbo/supercharger, or atleast been rebuilt to be the most killer N/A 3vz-E ever.
Like I said I don't mean any bashing, or disrespect, but if the pricing is going to be fair for the gain, you guys are going to be spending less than $100 on a throttlebody & intake manifold, and that is just not going to happen.

2 each, his own
I just don't like watching people completely waste money & to me, this seems like a huge waste. I don't see any possible way this is a good way to spend money to get power.
__________________
AIM/Yahoo/ICQ - Toysrme257th
PM for anything, anytime; including v6 turbos!
BoostPic!

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-04-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 AM   #13
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme
No disrespect... But why?
The stock intake manifolds are not restrictive until you go adding a few hundred horsepower worth of FI. The stock throttlebody is 70mm... It doesn't NEED to be any bigger.
Disagree with you on that one. The 3.0 suffers from a severe case of athsma; the damn thing can't breat. That's one of the reasons porting heads offers some good gains, another reason EB offers larger valves, a reason headers (especially port matched) work well... the only thing left in that equation is the intake and plenum. And... There is at least one 3.0 running around w/ a ported intake/plenum with extremely good results.

Quote:
I'm not making fun, but this is 100% the wrong way about making power. All of the items on this list, except for ported & polished heads, are either honestly a complete waste of time when it comes to making power (I.E. they're not going to dyno next to anything), or the cost VS performance is extremely poor.
I'd like to hear, perhaps in another thread(?), what *YOUR* ideas are for making power from the 3.0? Since it's almost the same bottom end as the 3.4 and 3.0's in Toy cars producing greater HP numbers, that leaves the top end... which... is what helps the darned thing breathe.

Quote:
Look I really don't mean disrespect to you, or the machine shop. The problem is that this list of products is horrible!!! Horrible horrible horrible horrible!!! This is just NOT how you go about making N/A power on any Toyota v6!
HUH? Some N/A Toy V6's are pushing well over 250 HP. There's plenty of room to work w/ the 3.0 in that area. Again - I ask you to share your power making ideas.

Quote:
You're picking those last few mods that give that last 10% of power you're looking for when you've got big power. As it stands, that product list is going to give someone N/A that 1% of power they're actually looking for - while costing them out the yin-yang.
I don't think you've run dyno numbers, m'friend. It's not hard to make a 3.0 product 180+HP. Not overly cheap, but not hard either. Tim @DOA has a 200HP version and I believe a 210HP version; that's 35% more HP than factory. There is plenty of room to work w/ the 3.0. Again, I'd like to hear *YOUR* answers to making hp from the 3.0 - especailly before bashing someone elses attempts to help out the 3.0 crowd.

Quote:
People are either going to be very pissed off at what they gained, so embarressed they won't speak up, or simply don't know any better when they gain 10-15 horsepower after paying you all that money that honestly - could be spent making much more power in other ways.
You keep saying this, but you're not offering solutions...

Quote:
Get some 300-400hp+ 3vz-e's floating around, and then you might get a little gain from this product list, but... Like I said I am so sorry, but I can not endorse any of that, or the simple idea of it. I would feel bad just letting people buy a throttlebody, or a re-worked intake without saying anything.
So you're saying that unless he doubles or almost triples the power output of teh 3vz-e, it's not worth talking with him? Tell you what; produce 380-500HP out of a 3.4 and come back; that's the same ratio that you're asking him to make out of a 3.0. Or, 500-650 out of the 4.0 V6. Maybe 550-750 out of the 4.7 vvti? You're not being realistic, and you're claiming that power can't be made from a 3.0 by helping it breathe, yet you're not offering ANYTHING to the contrary. You seem pretty confident in your assumptions, but you are also wrong. There are many a dyno test to show this (Scott Wilson dyno'd Downey headers and Jacob's ignition w/ great results, for example).

Last edited by rockota; 01-05-2006 at 05:52 AM.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,518
I have to agree with toys. Look at the money you are going to spend on this motor trying to squeeze out the hp gain versus doing a complete V8 swap and look at the money you will save with the V8 swap plus theres aftermarket parts out there for the V8 that will significantly increase the hp for very little money. Once you start modifying this engine then parts are gonna start going as with modifying any motor. But hey...if you got the money to throw at it then more power to ya but my side is with toys. Good luck!
callmej75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
snap-on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 2,411
Send a message via AIM to snap-on
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota
The 3.0 suffers from a severe case of athsma; the damn thing can't breat.

Ill agree in part to that.

But like others dont think it has ANYTHING to do with the TB or intake/lower plenum/heads. it has EVERYTHING to do with the 1.5" sq hole it has to suck all the air through way way upstream at the air mass sensor.

the stock TB has a crossectional area of almost 6 sq in. the air mass sensor is like 2.25 sq in. there is little improvement your going to gain in a LARGER TB and ported upper and lower plentum if your HUGE restriction is WAY up stream. (the stock air box doesnt help)

I personaly have seen a noticable improvement when i went to headers but thats because the stock exahust was VERY VERY restricitve.

IMO big improvments to this motor are going to be gained with an AFIC (whatever that system is called that the 3.4 usues , the hot wire thingie instead of the damn flapper we have) that and S/C
__________________
94 EX cab, 5speed, V6, locked, ARB bar, NWOR headers
92 4runner, auto, V6, OME suspension, Downey headers
snap-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #16
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmej75
I have to agree with toys. Look at the money you are going to spend on this motor trying to squeeze out the hp gain versus doing a complete V8 swap and look at the money you will save with the V8 swap plus theres aftermarket parts out there for the V8 that will significantly increase the hp for very little money. Once you start modifying this engine then parts are gonna start going as with modifying any motor. But hey...if you got the money to throw at it then more power to ya but my side is with toys. Good luck!
Apples and oranges. A properly done V8 swap isn't cheap. My 4.3 swap, done right, with all of the good parts, was $4300. My 3.8 buick was $3K+. Neither was as nice as the 3.0. And there is no reason at all that a proper mod to an engine will reduce life expectancy.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #17
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-on
Ill agree in part to that.

But like others dont think it has ANYTHING to do with the TB or intake/lower plenum/heads. it has EVERYTHING to do with the 1.5" sq hole it has to suck all the air through way way upstream at the air mass sensor.

the stock TB has a crossectional area of almost 6 sq in. the air mass sensor is like 2.25 sq in. there is little improvement your going to gain in a LARGER TB and ported upper and lower plentum if your HUGE restriction is WAY up stream. (the stock air box doesnt help)

I personaly have seen a noticable improvement when i went to headers but thats because the stock exahust was VERY VERY restricitve.

IMO big improvments to this motor are going to be gained with an AFIC (whatever that system is called that the 3.4 usues , the hot wire thingie instead of the damn flapper we have) that and S/C

Agree to a point. The plenum and intake have very small ports - they are restrictive compared to later model engines. Just the nature of the beast. Same is true of the valve sizes.

I don't blame the AFM; it's not hard to build a 22re to produce a solid 140-145HP using the stock AFM (20% increase in HP), and dyno numbers (again, see scott and DOA) show that there are gains to be had w/o touching the AFM.

Anyway, I for one am very happy to see SOMEONE investing R&D into the 3.0. There are plenty of them out there and even a few of us who really like the darned thing. I'm just masochistic enough to see if I can build a 220HP 3.0 if the parts are available and reasonable (and there is one person claiming 190HP at the wheels with minor mods post rebuild), so why not encourage this R&D??? I'm game!
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #18
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota
Apples and oranges. A properly done V8 swap isn't cheap. My 4.3 swap, done right, with all of the good parts, was $4300. My 3.8 buick was $3K+. Neither was as nice as the 3.0. And there is no reason at all that a proper mod to an engine will reduce life expectancy.
These guys want more bang for your buck...not more buck for little bang. My issue is the cost factor. Whose to say they don't do all of these mods and that "dreaded" head gasket doesn't blow again? Then you are looking at a full rebuild with all these mods done to it. What about if you want good hp and stroking it? Prices just on a stroker crank alone are outrageous compared to building a V8. I'll give away my motor when I get my V8 because that is how much I care for it.
callmej75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #19
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
snap-on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 2,411
Send a message via AIM to snap-on
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmej75
I'll give away my motor when I get my V8 because that is how much I care for it.

Ill take it just let me know. Ill add it to the other 2 i already have.
__________________
94 EX cab, 5speed, V6, locked, ARB bar, NWOR headers
92 4runner, auto, V6, OME suspension, Downey headers
snap-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #20
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-on
Ill take it just let me know. Ill add it to the other 2 i already have.
Its even a purty yellow and blue for ya too
callmej75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
30, 3vze, 500hp, 5vzfe, building, cams, engine, performance, power, specs, toyota, upgrades, v6, vvti, yang, ying

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance Intake Question?? Hitman86 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2 09-15-2006 05:43 PM
Performance intake parts for the 3.0 suprathepeg 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 5 01-05-2006 04:00 PM
best high performance cone filter for intake? dexter 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 0 07-17-2004 02:10 PM
Performance parts rextcy 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 8 06-17-2004 06:12 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:03 AM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.