Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which would you choose?

So I have an 85 runner with a 3 inch Downey lift right now. The back is starting to sag a little and I'm looking for a little bit bigger lift so I can clear 35s and have more flex.

Options:
1) Shackle lift for the rear and change the shocks out for long travel ones and a u bolt flip kit.

2) new Alcan springs 5 inch lift with new shock hoops up front and longer shocks all around. I get to keep to stock location of the leafs and have heard great things about Alcan.

3) go with the allpro off-road extreme lift kit. New springs, shackles, shocks. It relocated the front axel forward and they recommend replacing the rear with a wider axel.

I drive this truck probably 3/4 days a week and I do go on the highway. The steering kinda is wobbly so I'm gonna replace that with the marlin crawler high steer.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Thanks, Christian
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What's rig used for???

I would shy away from option 1

I've heard good things about alcan springs but personal experience.

I have the 4" allpro set up and like it. For rear flex you'll need to change shock configuration to / \ on either set up as stock limits flex. That's assuming you plan to wheel it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a negative for the longer shackles. The negative arch placed on the springs during compression will kill the springs in six months. The suspension will become very jarring, and will not be comfortable to drive.

As for options two and three, they are both great options. I do not know the cost of each option off the top of my head, so I have little to state about that; however, the work load required for both is different. The cost of the the work is different depending on if you are doing it DIY, or with a professional. Either way you may need three of four days to do the work. Suspension is not something to be rushed. The Alcan options has less involved, and the Alcan springs will last a lifetime. The All-pro option has more work to do, and is engineered too work great together.

Hope that helps
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is used now as mainly a driver in the winter and have some off-road trips planned when it's warm. We are moving down south in about a year and that's when the real wheeling will start. Up here in MI it's an off-road park or the dunes. Got the truck last year and trying to get it complete Thanks for the advice about the shackles. I had ordered them from marlin but I'm gonna cancel them. Need to start a build thread for this bad boy.

Muddpig, did you switch axles? Also how hard was changing where the shock mounts? Do you just weld the new mounts on? Is there a guide somewhere to show you where to put them?

Last edited by Yont283; 02-26-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've got an '86 so had wider rear axle but SAS'd so front is swapped.

As for the shock mounts in rear. Seems there is a couple options but yes there is ones that weld onto rear axle and a new mount the welds between frame rails on top. Mine are still mounted in stock config that's how I know they will limit rear droop.