YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Offroad Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

transfercase gear ratio?

ok, so i got a 21 spline t-case, 35's, 5.29's and im lookin to go lower. a lot of companies are marketing 4.7:1 t-case gears as well as 5.0:1. the 5.29's i have didnt really gear it that low because of the tire size and i was wandering if anybody knew what a good t-case ratio to use or even a better way to gear down. im on a bit of a budget so im not lookin to spend to much. any ideas? thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
tcunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

either 4.7's

or

dual cases

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins, 6speed, QCSB, 35's on 18's, straight piped, cattleman front bumper. CAI, and superchips tune.
camo31_10.50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SpecialScottie
Do dual cases now and regear to 4.7s later.
I just did duals on mine
85 4runner:Chevy 63's- RUF-Crossover-5speed swapped-Dual cases w/marlin adapter-5.29's-Marlin Rear Elocker-Longfields 30 spline/aussie locker front-Rola roof rack-8K smitty built winch-IFS Rear axle-35" BFG KM2's-Gray Interior from an 87-4X Innovations internal cage Build Thread
SpecialScottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
tc
Contributing Member

What kind of wheeling do you do?

Personally, I would go stock dual cases, that would give you 2.28:1 low and 5.2:1 low.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

i do alot of rocks and some pretty serious trails. i'll check into dual cases. if they are much more expensive ill have to save up. thanks for the info
Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
tc
Contributing Member

Price is about the same, maybe a touch more with the driveshafts, but A TON more flexible offroad. Just about everyone I know who has had just a 4.7 case wishes they had done duals to start with. Single 4.7 is just too low for easy trails and between obstacles.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

good to know. thanks. it does make alot of sense to just go straight to dual tcases. maybe a few more weeks of saving is all.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #8

Definitely do some more research before deciding to go with duals. Duals are much more flexible and convenient on the trail, but setting up duals is considerably more work. Setting up duals involves new drivelines, new crossmember, body work to the inside of your cab, dual adapter, and an extra t-case (might need other things that I'm forgetting too). Setting up a single 4.7 case only requires a new gear set. Do some searching, there are a lot of good threads on this subject.
1986 pickup 4x4 SR5, 5-spd, 33x10.5 BFG KM1 muds, 2" body lift, front and rear lockrights, 4.88s, 4.7 t-case with Dave'z twin stick, BudBuilt crossmember with 1" drivetrain lift, Downey grille guard and skid plate, TG sliders, MC rear bumper
toyNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Threadstarter [OP]

i was thinking of using marlin's crawler box. its a bolt in replacement for a tcase and they say you dont have to change your crossmember. supposedly its pretty simple except for changing drive lines. any thoughts? im not looking to do a major project, id really like to do some serious wheelin' soon so id like my rig out of the shop. thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #10

Dual cases are easy to set up yourself. I set mine up in an afternoon and installed them the next day
85 4runner:Chevy 63's- RUF-Crossover-5speed swapped-Dual cases w/marlin adapter-5.29's-Marlin Rear Elocker-Longfields 30 spline/aussie locker front-Rola roof rack-8K smitty built winch-IFS Rear axle-35" BFG KM2's-Gray Interior from an 87-4X Innovations internal cage Build Thread
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Threadstarter [OP]

what did you do with your crossmember? i know you can buy them but i aint ordering my rig out of a catalog, i like building on it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #12

4.7's are pretty extreme for your average wheeling, but if you do "alot of rocks and some pretty serious trails" then youll enjoy it. with 5.29 R&P and 4.7TC gears i think your crawl ratio is around 65:1. might be off only because i forget the first gear tranny ratio.

if you havn't heard yet, if it kills babies i dont like it.

'86 P/U 22Re, 5 speed, 4x4, 33" A/T's, 63" chevies. beat to death and SOLD
'88 P/U 22Re, 5 speed, 4x4, 33" M/T's, lincoln locker, custom leafs, open IFS, cranked torsion bars. ROLLED AND SOLD.
'90 4runner, SR5 3.0, auto. 4x4, 30" A/T, stock! SOLD

I NEED ANOTHER TOYOTA ASAP...
yotaman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #13

I used the trail gear crossmember. But building your own is always and option too. Check out 4xinnovations.com too
Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
tc
Contributing Member

You can use the stock crossmember with dual cases, but with the additional torque, having another tranny mount is a good idea (would be with 4.7's too, but you can't).

Plus, the aftermarket plate style crossmembers will gain you some ground clearance.

The other option would be something like the Front Range Offroad crossmember.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #15

ok i have the same questions on the gearing of my 4runner i just made some trades and got me some 19.5-44-15 boggers and dont know what ratio i wanna go with not that inthused with the marlin crawler it works great but cant get enuf tire spin in mud looking twards the trail gear t-case gears and go with the single case and 5.29 r&p and ideas????
p/u_4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by p/u_4runner View Post
ok i have the same questions on the gearing of my 4runner i just made some trades and got me some 19.5-44-15 boggers and dont know what ratio i wanna go with not that inthused with the marlin crawler it works great but cant get enuf tire spin in mud looking twards the trail gear t-case gears and go with the single case and 5.29 r&p and ideas????
you need more power, not lower gears. lower gears will make you tire spin slower at any given RPM.

if you havn't heard yet, if it kills babies i dont like it.

'86 P/U 22Re, 5 speed, 4x4, 33" A/T's, 63" chevies. beat to death and SOLD
'88 P/U 22Re, 5 speed, 4x4, 33" M/T's, lincoln locker, custom leafs, open IFS, cranked torsion bars. ROLLED AND SOLD.
'90 4runner, SR5 3.0, auto. 4x4, 30" A/T, stock! SOLD

I NEED ANOTHER TOYOTA ASAP...
yotaman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
tc
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p/u_4runner View Post
You absolutely need dual cases.

4.7 will not provide much, if any, wheelspeed for mud.

It was funny when I live in Ohio watching the Jeep Rubicons get mired down in the mud (or revving to hell and beating the crap out of their rigs) with their 4:1 tcases, while those of us with 2.28:1 had no issues ...

That said, you will likely need more power (and that leads to stronger axles, etc) to happily spin 44's in mud.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #18

Best alternative to keeping the stock 4.11 gears and running 35's

I need some help on deciding which direction to go on the gearing problem I have...I just put new 35" MTZ's on my '84 4runner and want to stay with the 4.11 diff. gears but would like to of course be lower geared. Can I go with the dual t-case set up and not change both ring & pinions or is it a must ?
Thanks
popcycle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to rattlewagon
Nice bump on an old thread!

Changing the T case gears will ONLY change the low range ratio. High still remains at 1:1.

So if you want more power on the street, youll want to re gear the diffs. If your looking for a lower crawl ratio, youll want to re gear the transfer case or go duals.

Were all mad here
rattlewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #20
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

35s on 4.11s will make you hate your truck fast. Trucks with stock R&P ratios have their tongues hanging out driving around on 33s.
If it's a daily driven rig, do the diff gears. Lower t-case gears are great on the trails, but can only do so much for you if your diffs are too short.

"We are your own parasite- a windblown pilot light.
Sinking like a lead balloon, something you cooked in a spoon. This is a firing line, this is Sweet Caroline, this is a slot machine, this is a prison camp- minus and Steve McQueen."
RobotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
41, 47, 471, 4runner, 529, 85, case, change, gear, gearing, gears, pickup, ratio, ratios, toyaota, toyota, transfer