Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUV Tents...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUV Tents...?

Anybody ever use one of these? I'm considering getting one for my trip and was wondering if anyone had any input on which one to get and if they liked what they got. I will primarily be sleeping inside my rig (see thread "Excursion RV") but it would be nice to be able to have a place to stretch out and change. Plus my dad is thinking of tagging along for a leg of the trip and it would get mighty stuffy with us both on a single mattress It worked wonders for the GF, but I think you see my point... Anyway, anyone ever try one of these things? Another thing I was thinking is that (I know you 4Runner guys don't have them but some of the caps on the tacos have windows/vents and I was wondering about maybe covering those so I could get some extra ventilation inside the truck while sleeping while keeping the dew/rain down.I'm assuming a tarp that would extend out far enough to cover the rear windows would do the trick when mated to one of these... Thoughts?

Pics:

or at least one of these for ventilation...

Last edited by turboale; 06-18-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 PM
JGM

Interesting. Like with any decent tent, the key is a good fly that fits low. I like the first one - looks cool. I would do that in my driveway.

The second one looks like a diaper and doesn't really seem to do much.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look like a lot of work...More than a regular tent. Regular tent is easy...lay out the ground cloth, lay out the tent, stake the corners, insert poles, attach rainfly and your done. Add in sealing the butt-end of your SUV in the tent and keeping all the mosquitos out of your nylon bedroom/garage and now it gets more complicated. Plus, my tent is made by Sierra Designs, a reputable manufacturer and a good design that I have used in gusts strong enough to lay the tent flat on my old malamute and I. I'd give you mebee an hour in either one of those contraptions. NEVER buy any tent with fiberglass poles.

Take a real tent. Sleep in the back of the Excursion al fresco when your not in mosquito country.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 06-21-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM

How would you leave camp without the hassle of disconnecting your truck from the tent.

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
NEVER buy any tent with fiberglass poles.
Please explain.
What material is your sierra tent poles made of?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 PM

The second one seems cool because it provides some good ventilation, the first one seems retarded, I mean, it is a whole tent, with a connection to the truck for no apparent reason. If you really want one and want to sleep in the truck, go for the second one.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Good tent poles are made of aluminum. Sometimes you find carbon fiber in more expensive ultralight models but I've never had an aluminum pole dome or half dome tent fail on me. Now aluminum pole a-frame or cabin style tents are a different matter.

Sierra designs tents

And never pay retail.

REI Outlet

Campmor

Sierra Trading Post
Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
austin,

here's my review on the 2nd tent you posted: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...6&postcount=26

bob
Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the posts guys!

I ended up ordering the larger style, had to decide on the spot to get free shipping so I pulled the trigger. I'll try and do a write-up when I get it in, should be here tomorrow!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 PM

Im in the market for a Hannibal or Eezi style roof tent! Hope to have it in a month or two.

Aaron