Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid axle swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid axle swap questions

I'm taking the plunge into the solid Axle arena. I have a guy who is willing to part with a Early Ford Bronco D44 housing for cheap. I know the housing is straight and is in good shape, because he is real picky about his parts.

Does anybody know what the axle width is on the 3rd generation 4Runners with the factory E-locker? I know the front axle should be wider than the rear axle to accomodate proper steering and tracking, but I'm not really sure as to what the width is for the 3rd gen rear axle.

I have been told the D44 is around 63" or so, anybody know for sure?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Just a thought, I had an early Bronco back in the day and it had a five-lug bolt pattern...you'd have to change axle shafts with something else or??? I think the older Jeep Waggy's/D44 had the matching 6-on-5.5 bolt pattern. I'm not 100% sure on this, just something else to think about before you grab it up...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM

def try to get the waggy d44 or a 80s toyota axle, save you lots of headaches.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

The 80's solid axle will not work due to the drop being on the passenger side. I have a complete one in the garage w/82 Cruiser vented rotors. The Waggy axle has spring perches, and I think I would rather go with the coils can come with the Broncos. Also, the D44 Ford bronco axles can use the Chevy D44 parts, as well as the disc brakes. Plus, the D44 drop is on the driver side, the correct side.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 80 series cruiser is 63.5" WMS if I am thinking right tonight, but that diff is on the wrong side.

3rd Gen should be in the 60" range for axle width.

As Jason said, Wagoneer's are cheap and plentiful.

Just to throw it out there, someone should really have a Toy axle built off that jig so that when the time comes for Steve, he is not the guinea pig.

5k for a 44 with CTM's and Warn alloy shafts, high pinion, etc. Or you can put Longfields in a Toy...

Good work pushing the envelope. I still think that one more rock could have shifted the weight and unloaded the front end...
Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/projects_tacoma.htm

2nd paragraph down. Keep it all Toyota. Only way I'll do it, but I already have a Solid Axle Toyota.

Future products that are shown:

NEW housings made for an 8" toyota 3rd member, and mini outers. Built to almost any width, driver or pass. side drops. The center is 1/4"! The flange that the 3rd member mounts to is 1/2" thick! And the tubes are 3.5" .375 Wall DOM tubing! Amazingly, the axle shown, at 61" flange to flange width (stock 79-85 is 55.5) weighs in only 25 lbs heavier than a stock housing! Ground clearance is increaced by 1/2" under the diff, oil capacity is over 3 qts, filling and checking fluid level is easy with a fill plug on the front, just where it should be!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

It's only money, you'll make more.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, its only money. I wish the wife could understand that concept. How ever I put it, she doesn't buy it.

The early Ford Broncos were pretty heavy beasts, and they had the D44 up front. I have a friend down here in ABQ that has been wheeling a 4700lb Bronco for some time with 35" meats and Warn axles. He has never had an issue. My 4Runner, on the trail, is weighing in at about 5500lbs. I want to make sure that it doesn't break again (well under normal silly circumstances like that last obstacle I broke on). :pat:

Anyhow, I'm going to be taking my time putting this thing together, and when I have all the parts stacked up in the garage, it's gonna get messy. I may have to call on the help of ABQJim and loosehead to give me a hand. Or at least, sit around and drink a few cokes while they watch me bust a few knuckles.

When I get the thing started, you can bet the IFS parts will be doled out pretty quick.

Last edited by SteveO; 03-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Old 08-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

SteveO you know I will be there! I've skinned more than one knuckle wrenchin'
Old 08-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

whoops, missed the fact that the new runners have driver side diffs, i was thinking about the axles im looking at for my 2nd gen.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you notice the Nissan in the parking lot at Chinamen's?

Some of the fab work looked a little suspect, but it was a pretty well set-up, low-lift coil-ver front end. Something that I could really see in the front of your runner.

FRORF makes some pretty neat stuff, if it were my rig I would not hesitate going with his axle. Custom width, custom diff side...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:43 AM

i SAY, use a d44, you won't be sorry..
Old 08-21-2003, 12:20 PM

hey know
when you start this sas dont forget to buy the beers, i mean pepsi's first...i did that the other day and had to make a beer run dirty!!

boy that sucks to....

later
wade

ps

get enough for 3 days at least!
Old 08-21-2003, 01:21 PM

K-Tons page has info on the D44 waggy swap-

K-Tons Double Cab

Personally, I'd stick w/ leaf spring- it's cheap and easy to get great flex vs. high buck coilovers.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

This...well its what I picked up last week atleast.

Im following 44Runner: You need a D44 off a 80+ grand wagoneer - driver side drop preferably w/o vaccuum disconnect.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:05 PM

axle...

Originally posted by SteveO
yeah, its only money. I wish the wife could understand that concept. How ever I put it, she doesn't buy it.

The early Ford Broncos were pretty heavy beasts, and they had the D44 up front. I have a friend down here in ABQ that has been wheeling a 4700lb Bronco for some time with 35" meats and Warn axles. He has never had an issue. My 4Runner, on the trail, is weighing in at about 5500lbs. I want to make sure that it doesn't break again (well under normal silly circumstances like that last obstacle I broke on). :pat:

Anyhow, I'm going to be taking my time putting this thing together, and when I have all the parts stacked up in the garage, it's gonna get messy. I may have to call on the help of ABQJim and loosehead to give me a hand. Or at least, sit around and drink a few beers while they watch me bust a few knuckles.

When I get the thing started, you can bet the IFS parts will be doled out pretty quick.

There is a guy on the tacoma board selling his almost ready to bolt on D44, i think his nickname is NASTYOTA or something like that,
good luck and i tell you you'll love your truck even more after you SAS'd her.
Oz.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:07 PM

hey man...

Originally posted by RTdawgs

hey man that is a sick 4runner, got any more pics?? of the sas?
wheeling???
I just finish sasing my taco too =)
later,
Oz.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

from NASTYOTA
Ok due to reason's beyond my control I am selling a '86 D44 from Grand Waggy that I have partially rebuilt. IT HAS, new 4.88's with all new bearings and seals ready to roll. New Spicer u-joints in the axles, New spicer ball joints in drivers side knuckle, Housing painted black with spring pad and shock mounts cut off. New rotors, New studs with TOY thread pitch, new wheel bearings, Painted caliper brackets. It does not have flat top knuckles because I wasn't going with histeer so you either need to buy them or just buy the passenger side knuckle with an arm for regular crossover. call parts Mike he's got it already set up to go on this set-up. $900
Indeed, he is selling it. However, driving to Jackson, MS is quite a drive...about 1100 miles. I shot him an email to see if he still has it for sale, and if he will negotiate. I dunno..., I think the wife might have a coronary about this one. Maybe I could pull out all the stops and and play the bleeding heart thing "Don't you live me babe".
Old 08-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Got mine for $150 after some low balling. Took 2 months to find one within driving distance (3 hour drive). Look around on http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/

Quick Reply: solid axle swap questions