Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should brand new tires do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should brand new tires do this?

I was up playing on some rocks the other day running my brand new Toyo Open Country MT's at 20 psi. I had no prob climbing the rocks but my drivers side tires have a few tread tears. I took them to Les Schwabs where I bought them and got the "do you offroad them" and I replied "that is what they are meant for" and he said "yeah but you may have some tire slippage that caused the tire to grab worng and tore the tire". they dont even have quite 500 miles on them yet. Should these tires do this? I know these tires are rock crawling rated LOL or so the brochure said. LOL Thoughts? Ben

here is a pic of the tire im talking about. Its only my drivers side front and rear that have tears.
Attached Thumbnails Should brand new tires do this?-35x135-toyo.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 06:00 PM

and the trail carnage.
Attached Thumbnails Should brand new tires do this?-toyo-tear.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 06:01 PM

another shot
Attached Thumbnails Should brand new tires do this?-toyo-tear-2.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 06:03 PM

and another one...
Attached Thumbnails Should brand new tires do this?-toyo-tear2pic2.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Exchange

I'd tell them I wanted an exchange for a new tire immediately. It is no skin off their teeth as all they are going to do is send the tire back to the manufacturere and get reimbursed for it anyway. I'd ask nicely first, then proceed to yelling and scaring away customers in the show room if they ignored me or fed me BS.

Good luck Blue. Man I'm glad I have a dull life, at least compared to you!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:35 PM

the salesman at schwabs has me convinced that it is normal for a tire to do this if a rock tears it. I agree it is the rocks fault not theirs but it would be their duty to replace if the tire blows out right?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:50 PM

that is normal for any tire used in rocky conditions, it is known as 'chunking'. you should read the fine print on your warranty if you have one as to what it entails. chances are they will not replace the tire and nor should they.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have a couple small chunks taken out of mine already.
Only had mine a few months also.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, mine have already lost some chunks and I've only had them for a month.
Hard packed, rocky dirt + spinning tires = No bueno
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM

Chunking, it's normal. The amount you'll see depends on the compound used and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

When you play in the rocks you pay. I dont see anything in those pictures that i would be complaining about. My TSL's still have about 85% tread left and im about ready to buy two new ones because they are chunking so bad, but its normal. If your worried about those i think my tires would give you a heart attack. You have no risk of those blowing out, as it is only in the tread. Its only the sidewall that you really have to worry about, and i dont worry about mine until i tear through 2 of the polyester "ply's". Only reason my spare is my spare is because i can see 2 layers of the sidewall, and i dont want to daily drive on it. Its a shame, that was the least chunked tire and the least bent rim.

The only problem that arises with chunking is that a lot of chunking leads to the tire becoming very difficult to balance. Mine all have about 7 golf balls and a shotglass of BB's in them and i still cant drive over 65mph without shaking like a heroin adict going through withdrawl.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joez
i still cant drive over 65mph without shaking like a heroin adict going through withdrawl.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

if you were the one who damaged your tire they dont have to warranty it... and actually, it is the stores issue, and food off their plate, jsut because a consumer damaged the tire doesnt mean the retailer can send it back to the manufacturer and claim defect.... look at tires, most have DOT ratings meaning approved for road use.... it is not the tire companies fault if you use it for anything other than that as it is not regulated for SVRA or OHV use, but rather Department Of Transportation road use....

you might have an issue with ROAD HAZARD warranty with les shwab, however where i work.. road hazard doesnt apply to purpose abuse of the tires or vandalism.. and it shouldnt..... just like taking your truck to a state park, by doing so, you assume all liability and risks in playing at their facility... if you die or kill someone, you are responsible for it.....
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Is the rock okay?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My BFG ATs tread have all sorts of chunks missing all over them. I've had them for about a year now though and they see a lot of rocks. It does make them hard to balance, I get a vibration around 60 that wont go away till I slow down or go about 70+.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just mud tires that are prone to this, because I've had a couple pairs of ATs that saw some extremely rough conditions(sharp shale in a several desert washes, climbing rocks where no AT tire belongs, etc) and never had a problem. That said, I am not a throttle junkie but rather play the clutch game, if ya know what I mean.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Birdman
Is it just mud tires that are prone to this, because I've had a couple pairs of ATs that saw some extremely rough conditions(sharp shale in a several desert washes, climbing rocks where no AT tire belongs, etc) and never had a problem. That said, I am not a throttle junkie but rather play the clutch game, if ya know what I mean.
I would think that mud tires would be more prone to chunking because they have a much more aggressive tread that sticks out farther. The only reason my A/T Revo's started chunking was because I spun them while climbing a steep dirt incline one day (damn I need 4wd ) I've been alot more carefull not to since then and they havent gotten any worse.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:35 PM

The boss's kid parked his brand spankin' new F250 Powerstroke crewcab w/ 8" of lift and bling'n Weld Evo 20x9.5 Velociti 8 wheels w/ Toyo 37" M/T's next to my beater. It'll never see dirt..........

This offered me the the opportunity to get a totally subjective "feel" for the rubber compounds of the Toyo vs. my whimpy 35" MT/R's. The Toyos feel slightly stiffer than my MT/R's- but not as stiff as my old BFG's were. Based on that, I'd guess they will chuck out more.

later
Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Jeez, if you buy a new set of sportscar tires and sit at a red light and burn em off till they explode, can you take them back and get new ones? If you buy new shiny aluminum wheels and take it over the rocks and smack some ugly scratches in em, or take a chunk out of one - can you take them back and say they shouldn't do that? If you buy a new truck and take on a rock and lose, can you take it back to Toyota and say it shouldn't dent so easily and I want it replaced? Any tire subjected to that sort of use may tear off a chunk - rock is after all a teenie bit harder than rubber... and if Schwabs replaces it for you and sends it back to the factory - they take one look at it and do not reimburse Schwabs - it wasn't defective. It isn't up to Schwabs.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:03 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
oh, and by the way, very nice looking rig!

Quick Reply: Should brand new tires do this?