Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hook or Hoop or neither?

Old 07-09-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hook or Hoop or neither?

hey, I've searched a bit and I know there are lots of threads on this, but my situation is a little different. I need a rear recovery point. I am taking off my hitch soon, and I cant afford the sonoran steel thingys that steve makes. I decided to buy a $8 tow hook from Autozone, but when I went to put it in, the threading is different than the oem bolts. I then remembered that last summer we put a tow hook like this one on 2runners' 4runner and ended up using the stock bolts because of the same threading issue. He could not find a bolt like the oem one at a heavier grade, so we just used the oem ones. We also wheeled the hell out of his 4x2 and got it stuck many times which required jerking his 4runner out by the tow hook. His hook is still on the frame and doesnt seem to have any problems.

So what I am thinking, is why did I even buy a tow hook, when I am going to use the same bolts that were already with the hoops? Atleast with the hoops I could use some shackles. But, are the hoops weaker than the 10,000lb break strength hook I bought or does that not even matter because its the bolts that matter?

Also, has any one ever broke one of the hoops off from using them as a recovery point? Thanks! Larry
Old 07-10-2004, 12:28 PM

the hoop is just made for securing the vehicle down to a carhauler etc. its not made to be a recovery point. the tow hook is better
Old 07-10-2004, 04:48 PM

But its using the same bolts so why would it be any weaker? Also, could I try to find some bolts that are heavier grade and just use those in the hoops?
Old 07-10-2004, 04:57 PM

Well.... I guess the tie down points could brake without the bolts breaking. Hmmmm...
Old 07-10-2004, 05:37 PM

the tie down loop is just a peice of 1/4" plate bent at a right angle, nothing special the tow hook is much beefier
Old 07-15-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
But its using the same bolts so why would it be any weaker? Also, could I try to find some bolts that are heavier grade and just use those in the hoops?
You might want to find some stronger bolts to use on the tow hook, depending upon the existing bolt strength. Look on the cap of the bolt. There may be a number, like 8.8 or 9.8. This is the minimum tensile strength of the bolt, in MegaPascals (darned metric system). Essentially, the higher the number, the stronger the bolt. A grade 8.8 is basically the same as an SAE grade 5, a 10.9 is essentially the same as an SAE grade 8.

A grade 8.8 or higher should be fine. I would find stronger bolts if there is no number on the head, since you don't know the proof strength of the bolt.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Pound,
You got any pics of what you've done already? I'm in the same boat as you (just took the hitch off and need a rear recovery point 'till I win the lottery and can afford a new rear end w/ Shackle hangers). I've thought about just bolting some type of loop/hook to the rear frame members using the bolts from the hitch but wasn't sure how or where I could get them or how exactly it would go on.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by COcajun
Pound,
You got any pics of what you've done already? I'm in the same boat as you (just took the hitch off and need a rear recovery point 'till I win the lottery and can afford a new rear end w/ Shackle hangers). I've thought about just bolting some type of loop/hook to the rear frame members using the bolts from the hitch but wasn't sure how or where I could get them or how exactly it would go on.

hey, I got the hook from Autozone for $9. I dont have any pictures of it right now... sorry. Hope you can get it figured out also!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:03 AM

Thanks,
I looked at Checker last night but they were like "hungh?" I'll try and find an Autozone this weekend. I would still love to see some pics if you take any. Also, where are these tie down loops you speak of? I haven't seen anything that would resemble such in the rear end.

Where are you in NO, I grew up in Baton Rouge and spent way to much time in the Big Easy. (Back in the 18 drinking age days!) Now I'm happy to say I'm a Colorado resident, I just have my crawfish flown in!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:20 AM

hey, the hook is just something like this http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s..._Receivers.htm
If you look under your rear bumper on the frame, you will see two tow hoops, one on each side. I just took off the hoop, and put the hook in the same place, using the same bolts and holes.

I am in Algiers in New Orleans, which is right across the river from downtown. I wish it was still 18 to drink everywhere, but luckly a few bars secertly allow it!!!! I am pretty pissed that I missed every crawfish boil my family had this year because I was at college. How much does it cost to have it flown in?
Old 07-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Go to an Ace Hardware or Sears Hardware or a Bolt store and get Grade 8.8 M12 bolts with 1.25 fine pitch thread. That's what the original bolts are.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:09 PM

around $2 a pound plus $40 for the shipping up to 80lbs, pricy but worth it to have mudbugs at a mile high! (no matter what people say those things in the lakes up here are not the same!)

Thanks for the link, I'll crawl under the rig tonight to look for those loops. If you're ever in BR try Tabby's blues box they'll usually treat you right.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, I just clicked the link to the hooks and I feel the need to chime in for safety sake.

I have hooks almost exactly like the ones shown. While in Moab I was being winched up an obstacle called Widow Maker, it's on Metal Masher. Anyways, while I was being winched up the winch hook slid off of my hook causing me to slide back down the obstacle backwards, scarry. Luckily I got stopped.

Here's Schaefer going up with a slight tug from about 6 guys to load his front end (we sent him up to winch the rest of us).

Here's me being winched by Schaefer, you can see how steep it is.

Do your selves a favor and get shackles or at the least safety catches on your hooks. Like these Hooks

I have no idea why one of these pics is larger, oh well.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:44 PM

Those safety catches are a good idea.... but I'm really only using 1 hook in the rear with a tow strap. I wont use it for winching up crazy obstacles like widow maker. I should have an ARB front bumper this fall, which has places for shackles that I will use for winching.