Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harrop/Eaton Elocker for Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrop/Eaton IFS Elocker for Tacoma

Thought I'd spread some interesting information to the community about a possible selectable front locker other than ARB.

It started with an inquiry to Eaton. I wrote,

"I would like to know if Eaton is interested in manufacturing an e-locker for the front differential of Toyota trucks. I have a '04 Tacoma with a Detroit Locker in the rear and I would like a selectable locking differential in the front to compliment it. Unfortunately, the only available option is made by ARB. It is very expensive and requires an external comressor. I understand that many Toyotas come from the factory with e-lockers, so there is little market for the rear, but could you please make an e-locker for the front? Thanks!"

Eaton replied,

"Thank you for the interest in Eaton differentials. Yes Sir, we are always expanding our portfolio and looking for new applications. However, this application is a little different. We have a distributor that manufactures a variation of our ELocker for the Tacoma front axle. I recommend contacting Harrop Engineering www.harrop.com.au. They will have an ELocker for you."

I checked out Harrop's website and found some promising information, so I decided to e-mail the company.

"I was refered to your company by a represenative of Eaton. I have a '04 Toyota Tacoma with a Detroit Locker installed in the rear differential and I am looking to purchase a selectable front locker to compliment it. I am interested in your Eaton e-locker. Do you have a product that is compatible with my truck and if so, could you please recommend a distributor?"

They quickly responded.

"Thankyou for your email and interest in Harrop Performance Products! I have cross referenced the Tacoma from the US Eaton application guide and unfortunately we have nothing compatible with this in our Harrop ELocker range. I would appear that your only options are Detroit Lockers or TrueTracs. Thanks again and sorry we could not assist you further."

I was sad, but I couldn't let go. I did some reading and came to believe that the Hilux and Tacoma front differentials used the same carrier. I wrote Harrop back.

"I did some follow up research and stumbled across the following website. http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ I believe that your '05 and prior Hilux front e-locker differential may be compatible with my '04 Tacoma. As a reference, I checked ARB USA's website and they list their part number RD90 to be compatible with both the 95-04 Tacomas, 97-05 Hilux and some other IFS trucks. Could you please confirm that your product may be a solution and and if so, could you please recommend a distributor?"

Finally, I got an interesting response.

"The information you provided definitely suggests that an A11167 27spline 7.5” clamshell style ELocker will fit the front of your Tacoma. However, as we have not trial fitted an ELocker to this exact vehicle, I obviously cannot say 100% for sure. We are the distributor of the Harrop ELocker and units can be ordered directly. We manufacture the Australian based ELockers such as Toyota LandCruisers and Nissan Patrol with heat treated and annealed gear sets etc while Eaton manufacture US based options.
Pricing would be AUD$1454.00 (USD1483.80) + shipping. We have both Australian and US based bank accounts for direct deposits and can accept Visa/Mastercard (2% surcharge applies)
Thankyou!"

The simplicity of the Elocker design is attractive. It's a little more expensive than an air locker and compressor, but after the experience my friend had with the ruptured line and now a leaking actuator in the rear differential of his Xterra, I'm a bit turned off.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 11-08-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Garbage
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Are a lot of people having problems with the Eatons e-lockers?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 AM
FormerVendor

As a new member of Yota Tech community, I thought to start off by commenting on this older thread.

Cruiser Brothers is an importer of Terrain Tamer and Harrop products, including the ELockers mentioned above. This is not a sales solicitation, just an FYI that the Harrops are available and in stock in USA.

We will post up some additional information and write a check for vendor status.

Best regards,

Ward and Georg
Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Harrop Install

Here is a shout-out to @zuk at Gear Installs (Ken Francisco). The photo below is part of his build of a Harrop for the back of an '02 4Runner.

See the build here: http://www.gearinstalls.com/harropstephenv6rear.htm

Old 11-26-2016, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Harrop Eaton Elocker Speacial

CYBER MONDAY ELOCKER SALE - ONE DAY ONLY
Monday November 28 - midnight to midnight

Terrain Tamer - Harrop Eaton Traction for all Offroad Toyotas - Prices too low to publish under our agreement with Terrain Tamer and Harrop, so take a look at fitment and technical information at www.yotalockers.com.

Shoot us an email and we will provide details on the discounts and freebies.