Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Range off-Road Transfer Case Mount installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Range off-Road Transfer Case Mount installed!

Finally had a chance to mount up the FROR Fab x-fer case mount in the long-travel Taco, check out the full write-up HERE
Old 09-02-2004, 03:43 PM

if anyone has questions/comments, fire away!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Question: do you know if this could be used to replace the existing transmission / transfer case mount? Actually cut out the factor cross member? Would it be strong enough?

Comment: this would be real nice for someone looking to tuck everything up between the frame rails.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:17 PM

Absolutely, that is in fact what it's primarily designed to do. We decided to run it in conjunction with the stock mount since we jump and really abuse this truck. The idea behind this product was to gain ground clearance by removing the stock mount. It is a really versatile product, it can be used to mount a marlin dual case as well. You could do as you said and tuck everything up and then you could skid plate right across the rails if you wanted to.

Last edited by SEAN_at_TLT; 09-02-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. Those are a really great product for those who could roll their own belly pan.

I would get one if I did not have torsion bar mounts in the way.

Too bad we did not make it back to Carnage in time Jim, then we could have taken a look at this in person.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Flygt, if you plan to keep your IFS, Total Chaos is just releasing their "Caddy Kit 2.0" that lets you mount single or dual coil-overs and remove the t-bars on 1st gen IFS equipped trucks! We are installing this new kit on our '89 this month, it should work really well. I am thinking though that you would rather put that kinda $$$ towards a live axle setup...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 PM

Yeah, the cost becomes a wash if you do it yourself and my money is better spent on a solid axle and Longfields.

Nice product and Mr. Ellinger's Taco is sure a sweet truck. Any pics of the crossmember on your rig?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM

Yeah, all the pics except the first one of Brians truck are of our rig, We just used Brians truck in the intro of the article since it is such a sweet pic! We also just got a fabricated FF Tundra width rear axle housing from Brian, that's going in the Taco next, we just need to find the time to re-fab all of the mounts we had to make for our stock axle (shock mounts, spring pads, etc.) and we are waiting for custom superior axle shafts as well. Already got the ARB and superior 5.29's...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM

Notice the "wimpy" IFS...
Old 09-03-2004, 05:54 PM

You get enough width out of the long travel stuff to match a Tundra rear? WOW, that blows my mind.

Sorry for the oversight on the pics, I never looked really close at them.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
You get enough width out of the long travel stuff to match a Tundra rear? WOW, that blows my mind.

Sorry for the oversight on the pics, I never looked really close at them.
Most of the long-travel kits are designed to go up to the next size truck width, that way you can usually reuse the cv's from another truck instead of having $$$ custom ones made. Your truck would use T-100 cv's if it were long-travel.

with only 3" lift, 35x12.5's (33x10.5's pictured) and Tundra width, you understand why we can do this without much fear of rolling!

This pic is not tilted at all, look at the background for proof.

No worries about missing the detail pics...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
with only 3" lift, 35x12.5's (33x10.5's pictured) and Tundra width, you understand why we can do this without much fear of rolling!

This pic is not tilted at all, look at the background for proof.
Stock width, 3.5" lift, 33x10.5 TSL's and no fear of rollin'. (well, maybe a teeny bit)
[IMG]edited image due to it not being hosted on my site[/IMG]

http://www.r65.org/tacoma/20020908/images/IMG_0286.jpg

Sure would be nice to have a Tundra rear axle and a TC long travel kit though!

Last edited by SloPoke; 09-09-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 AM

I like your truck!

I really like the dark grey, that's the color we wanted but we found the red one first.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Thanks man!

I like your set up!!

Yaul got a Tundra rear axle to match the width of the TCLT kit?

This is the set up I've been ponderin over SAS'n. Then run some 35x10.5 Boggers and run the hobby stock crawlin' class. I've got at least 2 years to weigh it out though so I'm sure it'll change a hundred times before then.

BTW: I have a similar crossmember in the test phase for SAS'd Tacomas so they can run a front drive shaft. When it's done, I'll share pics. Nice write up man.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM

Yeah, we got the Tundra width housing to match the increased width up front from the LT setup. I am really excited to get that FROR housing onto the truck but it will be a little while longer since we have a few other projects taking precedence. It's hard to have that FROR housing in the corner of my eye all day knowing it will be a few months until we get to slap it together.

We thought long and hard about a live-axle front end before going with the LT on the Tacoma. However we do plan to install a 4-link coil-over FROR/Toyota axle under our 4Runner. There are clear strength's and weaknesses to both. I'd say for a person who's handy with a lincoln/miller going SAS is always a great choice! If you are not sure about going back to stock or don't have welding experience, LT kits are great since they bolt right up to factory locations.

I look forward to seeing what you came up with for a t-case X-member, be sure to keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:49 PM

Here's our first SAS Tacoma....(did you see it already?)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/inprogess-sas-98-trd-tacoma-31120/
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM

That bad boy is sitting big!

You'd need to ford a pretty deep river to put that snorkel to good use!

Do you have any close-ups of the bed bob?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:13 PM

I like these pics of your "other rig" from your website almost as much as I like your trucks!

You are a brave man to get that much air on 3-wheeler!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Question: do you know if this could be used to replace the existing transmission / transfer case mount? Actually cut out the factor cross member? Would it be strong enough?

Comment: this would be real nice for someone looking to tuck everything up between the frame rails.
You can use this to cut the 2 crossmembers off but you still have the gas tank hanging down just as far as it always did.

On a Tacoma it works alot better since the tank is up alot higher. I would have bought one, if it would have done anything.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 PM

here's a pic of me riding my "other rig"...

Quick Reply: Front Range off-Road Transfer Case Mount installed!