Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flatbed height for clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatbed height for clearance?

I'm wanting to install on a 92' extracab 4x4 a basic flatbed - completely flat without a cut out for the wheelwells. This truck is my daily driver and my hunting rig. Not planning on doing any serious 4 wheeling or rock crawling, I'm planning on keeping the truck basically stock. The flatbed is to haul around a dogbox or an ATV. I've got 31" tires on it and not sure how much clearance I need to allow for placement of the bed. I want to keep it as low as possible, but when I am off road and in rough going, I don't want to be rubbing my tires. Bad rutted trails, mud, and deep snow is what I'm usually in when off road. I've tried the search numerous times, and read a ton of posts, but still can't come up with an answer. Can anybody suggest how much clearance I'd need? Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 AM

you'll probably want to flex your rear axle out to see wear it would contact on your current bed. i'm thinking that it would be at the same height as the top of your rear fender if you're making it totally flat.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:58 PM

Beachtaco, I appreciate your replying to my post. I've got one question regarding flexing my rear axle - it may be a stupid question but here it is anyway. How would I know if its flexed to its maximum? Would it bottom out the shock? Hit a bump stop somewhere? What should I look for?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 PM

With a stock setup you will probably top out the shock on the drooped side. Load it up with what you expect to carry and find a ramp or something to get it stretched out and see what ya got. I agree though for what you're wanting will be near the top of the wheel opening, or more likely just above by a couple inches. Just build it using the stock mounting points and if need be you can use regular old body lift pucks to get any extra height you find needed.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate you sharing your expertise on the subject. I've been reading a ton of posts on this forum and theres a wealth of information to be gained here. Once again I thank you. Meanwhile, I think I'll read some more posts and bone up on more info.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:01 AM

I agree with what the two others have said to you. I have built flat beds before , and normally folks (wheelers) still want the wheel wells for articulation. On most ordinary flat beds they do generally have limited suspension travel (heavy springs-lowered bumpstops), and can have the true flat bed mounted fairly low. You might have problems when loaded heavy unless you add heavier springs even if you mount it higher than normal since the toy springs are soft. Your flat bed will most likely be much heavier than the bed it replaces also.
hope this helps,
Richard