Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feasibility of converting my 2 WD Tundra to 4 WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feasibility of converting my 2 WD Tundra to 4 WD

2001 Tundra
Single Cab - Long Bed
V6 3.4
Manual transmission
2WD

I know what you're thinking, not another newbie thread with a ridiculous question about converting a 2WD to 4WD, as if it would be easy. It won't be easy or cheap I realize. And the next half dozen responses will be something like "you will save yourself a ton of money and headache if I just sell your truck and buy a stock 4x4". Problem is I can't because it does not exist.

I really love the combination of single cab, long bed, v6, manual, in a Tundra. And toyota never offered that in 4 WD. And I'm moving to Coloraado so the 4x4 is more than just a nice to have, it is practically a necessity. And I don't want to buy a chevy, gmc, ford with they're crappy low powered v6 engines. So, I would like to get some feedback, at least at the conceptual level to begin with, as to where this conversion gets really difficult.

I've been checking with salvage yards and I can get used parts like transfer case (for the 5-sp tranny), cross member, front drive shaft, and complete front axle for fairly reasonable cost, (under $2000). Installing those components doesn't seem all that problematic. Is there something I'm missing here.

I know the main drive shaft would have to be customized, but there is a place around here that does that. And then modifying the cabin with the shifter seems like it might be complicated. Would I need a different rear axle? I know 2wd vs 4 is lower. How does the 4WD get that lift, is it different axles?

Please let me know where this conversion really gets tricky. If this project was really just for practical application I would say it would not be worth it, but part of the reason to do this would just be to have a fun/rewarding project.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Difficulty and cost will depend on your fab skills. And of course parts source. What are you planning for axles,
Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

While your going to all this work why limit yourself to the 3.4.

Why not find a 4x4 and install the engine and trans of your choice.

Granted it can be done the major parts are pretty straight forward .

It is the little things that really cause these things to bog down

Would you be going with a Solid Front Axle or IFS??

Fab skills up to speed ?? It is really bad when the truck goes down the road sideways.

This is a great project as long as you have a good place to work no pressure and help when you need it.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wiki says 95 T-100 came with 3.4, standard cab, 4x4, long bed. Is that what you really want?

Random thoughts to consider:

- 4x4 tundras from 2000+ were paired to the v8, in the extended cab model. Can you pull all of the suspension from that model?
- your 3.4 was used in the Taco and T-100. Can you pull the t-case, trans, and axles from that model?
- what side does the fuel tank and exhaust run? Is it compatible?
- custom drive shafts necessary...Axles too?
- how much body lift needed to fit a t-case under there?
- custom mounts everywhere?

It might be easier to swap your cab and bed onto the 4x4 Tundra chassis instead. Then you upgrade to v8 as well.

Easy alternative option may be put an air locker in the rear. Is that even available?

Simplest option is buy a Tacoma as second truck for bad weather days.

Good luck in CO!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-18-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all.

Ok, I guess I'm realizing, as you all already knew, I'm getting in over my head. I don't really have any metal fab skills, just mechanics skills.

I guess I could sell my truck and buy a tundra with the 4x4 long-bed which they only made with v8 automatic. Maybe I could do the automatic to manual trans conversion, that would probably be easier than a 2 to 4wd conversion. Or maybe I should just learn to be happy with the automatic.

The problem with a auto to manual conversion is that they never made a tranny transer case combo for the v8. In other words they never made v8 4x4 manual.

Would the 3.4 fit in a truck that had the v8? Different mounts I guess? Now I'm getting crazy. Oh well, it was an interesting thought.

Last edited by The Lorax; 01-18-2016 at 11:34 AM.