YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Offroad Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to StangBanger
El cheap-o winch-o

Yeah, yeah i know some people will probly say to save my money and get a real winch but i bought an ebay winch from a company called Gorilla it was a 3,000lb atv winch and it was $100 bucks with a 6 month warentee that i never had to use and pulling a lifted Kawasaki Brute force 750 is no easy task. And i abused that winch. I was actually trying to break it...never happend. I used it for long periods of time under water, in mud, and always on Miami hot days. Never skipped a beat. So now im looking for a good deal on a winch and i decided to check them out. They have 8,000lb water proof winches 10,000 water proof winches 12,000lb non water proof winches and i seen a 15,000lb one on there but didnt check it out. Heres the link http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Gorilla-...34Q2ec0Q2em322
All of them come with a 12' corded remote and a wireless remote.
Click the image to open in full size.
And heres the stats on the 8,000lb water proof winch $360 free shipping
heres the 10,000lb water proof winch stats $390 free shipping
Anyone know about the gear reduction? Does this sound good? And i highly doubt it but has anyone ever had one of these? I figure if i cant break it in 6 months its worth it..
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by StangBanger; 04-30-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

why not just spend an extra 200-250 and get a warn m8000? that way you wont have to worry
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlames View Post
just because you called me a web wheeler what ever that means.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

For that price he can go through two of those before he would have paid for a m8000.

I am going ot get a smittybuilt xrc8 when i buy one.. Unless i can get a geat a schweet deal on a m8000.

1990 4runner: 3.4 swapped, 5-speed, sas'd, Rear leaf swap, front high pinion W/ARB, 30 spline longfields with chromo hub gears, 5.29's, 37" toyo mt's, Armor'd

My build thread
http://www.yotatech.com/f152/904_run...thread-158746/

http://highangledriveline.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904_runner View Post
For that price he can go through two of those before he would have paid for a m8000.
you can get them cheaper than that. just have to know how to use google. thats all
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some muscle.
Quote:
Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got my m8000 for free works great

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004 View Post
why not just spend an extra 200-250 and get a warn m8000? that way you wont have to worry
Because spending the $300 for the Gorilla is hard enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904_runner View Post

I am going ot get a smittybuilt xrc8 when i buy one.. Unless i can get a geat a schweet deal on a m8000.
My point exactly..and theres a thread going around on that same winch.. check it out..
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/my-new-...bumper-161531/
thats another one i was looking at. But im thinking ill take my chances and try this Gorilla out so the YotaTech community has two cheap winches to review..
Quote:
Originally Posted by algranger View Post
I got my m8000 for free works great
Really..can u get me one for free too?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

check out the gorilla and let us know how it works for ya. If everyone stuck with 8274's and m8000's we'd never know if xrc8's were any good but that's just my thinking
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Gorilla 8000 winch is worth every penny. It's FAST, nearly twice as fast as any comparable inexpensive winch. Plus it comes with wireless remote.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
The Gorilla 8000 winch is worth every penny. It's FAST, nearly twice as fast as any comparable inexpensive winch. Plus it comes with wireless remote.
See what im saying..Thanks alot UncleBob..
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to EvLTwiN Send a message via Yahoo to EvLTwiN
dont know if its worth anything but it looks good. I think i might try one. Thanks for the tip.

CHOTA T-5 build project - 90 k-5 + 89 yota
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
tc
Contributing Member

Failed quick in the moabjeeper test.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
Failed quick in the moabjeeper test.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
That article says nothing about a gorilla winch..But good read anyway.. I ended up with a smittybuilt xrc8. Kinda crazy how it happened but that lifetime warrentee is really what did it..$385.15 shipped to my door within 48 hours of hanging up the phone from making the order.. They shipped it super fast. Ill see if my buddy gets the Gorilla for his jeep so i can give you guys info on that one too..Havent mounted it yet. waiting to get a re-enforcement plate welded so i can mount my bumper from AddictedOffroad. (Thanks Scotty)
Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Cheap winches are seem like they are really hard to pass up, but what happens when you get in a tight spot and you need the winch but it fails????? Lifetime warranty isnt to great in that situation.

In my opinion spend the money on a known product like a warn that will practically last a lifetime and you wont have to worry about it failing.
Quote:
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I dont mean to come off as rude but why is it that some people just dont understand..Not everyone can spare $500 for a quality winch that been proven to be dependible. This is why we opt for the $350 range winches. We KNOW theres a chance they might break but since their dependibilty isnt the thin line between life and death Im sure i can deal with it the one day it craps out on me when i need it most (Thats IF that happens). Times are hard and people are broke but that doesnt calm our drive to want to get out there and enjoy wheeling just as much as the next guy. I mean really..who wouldnt want to have that Warn powerhouse mounted up front and enjoy the on-board air compressor and proven winch capabilities? Ill take my chances with my sub $400 winch thank you very much.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
tc
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
since their dependibilty isnt the thin line between life and death Im sure i can deal with it the one day it craps out on me when i need it most (Thats IF that happens). ... Ill take my chances with my sub $400 winch thank you very much.
Because for those of us that 'wheel hard in remote areas, recovery equipment IS a thin line between life and death!

If money is tight, there are plenty of alternatives to an electric winch - namely the Hilift Accessory Kit - that are 100% reliable and for WAY less money.

You can take chances with your life, but you can't take those chances with the lives of the people you're wheeling with.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

theres a guy from around here that got a 10,000lb winch from harbor freight..mounted it on the front of his 1ton Ford (SRW 4in lift and 33" M/T's) and hes used it COUNTLESS times...i myself have seen it used over 50 times...and a bunch of those times he was pulling out a lifted and locked (front and rear) dodge on 38's..the winch is a beast..never has any problems...the SAME guy had a warn 10,000 lb winch...and it crapped out within a year.....and hes had this cheap HF winch for almost 5yrs now...and uses it atleast once a week..and sometimes everyday..just thought i'd let ya'll know that Warn's arent all they are cracked up to be...

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins, 6speed, QCSB, 35's on 18's, straight piped, cattleman front bumper. CAI, and superchips tune.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50" View Post
theres a guy from around here that got a 10,000lb winch from harbor freight..mounted it on the front of his 1ton Ford (SRW 4in lift and 33" M/T's) and hes used it COUNTLESS times...i myself have seen it used over 50 times...and a bunch of those times he was pulling out a lifted and locked (front and rear) dodge on 38's..the winch is a beast..never has any problems...the SAME guy had a warn 10,000 lb winch...and it crapped out within a year.....and hes had this cheap HF winch for almost 5yrs now...and uses it atleast once a week..and sometimes everyday..just thought i'd let ya'll know that Warn's arent all they are cracked up to be...
Well from one poor experience i wouldnt go so far as to say Warns arent all they are cracked up to be. I've been running a warn for a few years i've had it underwater countless times, winched two trucks up a hill with just my winch, it's served me well. And its super fast, it beats the hell out of any of my buddys' mile markers, chicago electric, ramsey, etc.

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

all the jeeps around here run warns...and every one of them has had something go wrong on them...even if i was to get one of the Chicago Electric (harbor freight) winches...its still only like $250..and if i use it twice and it craps out...its paid for itself..lol..gettin a tow isnt cheap..and getting a tow out of the places that i go..would almost be impossible..of course thats why i got friends with BIG TRUCKS..hahaha lots-o-power plus big-o-tires equals gettin my @$$ out of the mud quick..hahahahahaha

2001 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins, 6speed, QCSB, 35's on 18's, straight piped, cattleman front bumper. CAI, and superchips tune.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I just bought a Toyota and I don't have any tools or any kind of area to work on it with and I'm wanting to drop in a V8 and clear 38's but I don't have any money and do I need to lift this if so what kind of lift and what do you recommend also I'm not sure if all terrains will work in mud is there another kind I have some rims that should work but they came off a yugo so is the bolt pattern the same...
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Buy a solid used winch, I picked up a Warn 8274 for $300 in good shape.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
10000, 8000, 8000lb, chaep, cheap, cheapest, chicago, gorilla, lb, mount, plate, remote, reviews, smittybuilt, winch, winches, wireless, xrc8