Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranking Tbars does not ride rougher!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranking Tbars does not ride rougher!

Hey Everybody!

I have read about a lot of people saying that after they cranked their Torsion bars for lift, they got a rougher ride. Well, being a mechanical engineer, there are a few different ways this is possible, but cranking the bars alone is not what causes the rougher ride..... hold yer horses before you flame me lol!!! I have posted a link below that goes in to very good discussion about the theory and realities of IFS torsion suspension.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...sion-bars.html

Feel free to read it and comment here. Cranking the T bars does not stiffen the ride because of pre-load, only when you max out your droop travel on a bumpstop, which as explained, you are much closer to when you crank up the suspension. Obviously there are special cases when extra weight is added to the front, but we will save that for discussion.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you dealt with many 1st gen 4rnrs before /22re
Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That article is completely baseless pseudoscience. The issue is a matter of undeniable physics. You sir have failed miserably as an engineer.

So that you can properly educate yourself, please read the following.
http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Theory_Of_Operation.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-22-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
From first hand experience, I'm calling BS. I never maxed them out to where I was ridding on the snubbers the whole time, and even went as far as putting low profile bumpstops in place to make more of a gap but the ride was much stiffer and less flexible once they were cranked up.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Exactly. Because the increase in stiffness has nothing to do with the bumpstops. It's a product of reducing the effective length of the UCAs. Making it more difficult for the suspension to flex.