Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Cheapest, Best way to Lift EARLY IFS trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did anyone ever figure out anything about problems lifting a 2nd gen V6 4runner 5 speed? I drive a 1991 4runner with the 5 speed and the 3.0 and was plannining on adding ball joint spacers, an ifs truss, 33 inch tires, a body lift (as little as possible), 4.88 gears, an aftermarket cross member, and a rear lock right. Although it sounds nice having the extra ground clearance, I'm kind of hesistant about moving around drive train compenents. My truck is my daily driver so I'd like it to run as smooth as possible, (granted its a truck on 33 inch off road tires so its not going to be a lexus). Does anyone here have any experience with the drivetrain lift at all with a 4 runner like mine? I haven't ever had any clearance problems before with my drive train but I havent done much wheeling and will probobly be hitting harder trails once my truck has bigger tires and a locker.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A great thread yes fo by fo, I would suggest you do alot of searching around, alot of trucks and 1st gen runners have the lift but not any 2nd or 3rd gen runners from what I have seen/read.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Hmm, sounds like I might just leave the drivetrain where it is and get a low profile crossmember. I really don't want to do much of a body lift at all anyways. In fact, I'd like to get away without doing a body lift at all if I can.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
<SNIP>
In fact, I'd like to get away without doing a body lift at all if I can.

Because why ?

Fred
Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM

So did anyone ever figure out anything about problems lifting a 2nd gen V6 4runner 5 speed? I drive a 1991 4runner with the 5 speed and the 3.0 and was plannining on adding ball joint spacers, an ifs truss, 33 inch tires, a body lift (as little as possible), 4.88 gears, an aftermarket cross member, and a rear lock right. Although it sounds nice having the extra ground clearance, I'm kind of hesistant about moving around drive train compenents. My truck is my daily driver so I'd like it to run as smooth as possible, (granted its a truck on 33 inch off road tires so its not going to be a lexus). Does anyone here have any experience with the drivetrain lift at all with a 4 runner like mine? I haven't ever had any clearance problems before with my drive train but I havent done much wheeling and will probobly be hitting harder trails once my truck has bigger tires and a locker.
You're forgetting some very important mods.
ARMOR.

Fred
Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I did mention an aftermarket crossmember, probobly bud built, and eventually probobly some sliders once i start going on my difficult trails. The reason I'd like to avoid a body lift is its cheaper if I don't have to buy one, but also, sometimes it looks tacky in my opinion to have a visible gap between the frame and the body. My truck doesn't have a body lift and if I look in my rear wheel well i can see out the other end of my truck between the frame and the body. That just looks funky to me.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
gap guards
Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Erik seemed to think this was a problem when he was researching lifts for his old runner. However, it sounds like others have had no issues. I am curious as to why this doesn't work for that specific truck, in specifics. AFAIK, there isn't anything super special about a 2nd gen 4runner that is so different from 3rd gen trucks.

You can get gap covers, as 881st gen said.

Money? This is the cheapest possible way to get that kind of clearance. You'll not find cheaper.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Erik seemed to think this was a problem when he was researching lifts for his old runner. However, it sounds like others have had no issues. I am curious as to why this doesn't work for that specific truck, in specifics. AFAIK, there isn't anything super special about a 2nd gen 4runner that is so different from 3rd gen trucks.

You can get gap covers, as 881st gen said.

Money? This is the cheapest possible way to get that kind of clearance. You'll not find cheaper.
Yeah, it is cheap, I know I'll have to buy a body lift, its no big deal. Do most people who do some sort of body lift, bj spacer combo do a drive train lift? Are their any negative effects of not lifting your drivetrain? (besides having less ground clearance) From what I was reading on 4crawlers website, (if I'm understanding correctly) there was some sort of problem with doing a drivetrain lift on a V6 2nd gen 4runner because they use a two piece diveshaft.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on a V6 2nd gen 4runner because they use a two piece diveshaft.
My V6 2nd gen has a 1 piece DS ...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Yeah, it is cheap, I know I'll have to buy a body lift, its no big deal. Do most people who do some sort of body lift, bj spacer combo do a drive train lift? Are their any negative effects of not lifting your drivetrain? (besides having less ground clearance) From what I was reading on 4crawlers website, (if I'm understanding correctly) there was some sort of problem with doing a drivetrain lift on a V6 2nd gen 4runner because they use a two piece diveshaft.
Mmmm, I think that you mis-read.
Find it and post it up here.
Never seen a 2nd gen 4Runner with a two piece driveshaft, like trucks.

Fred
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM

$

First of all, this is a really great thread. Purely from an economic standpoint, how much would the total cost of materials and installation cost for this lift?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
This is a good thread. Nice bump.

As for cost, your looking at: Bj spacers, aals, skid plate, and a drivetrain and body lift, shocks and other random odds and ends. I say could be done for under a grand.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 04-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM

That's just about what I'm willing to spend. Would approximately $1000 include all labor and installation costs? Frankly, I don't have the expertise or equipment to do it myself.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 PM

No, all the stuff is fairly easily done and if you have it done you will be pillaged on an easy job. get a few friends buy some beer and pizza and you could knock it out in a weekend or two.

Not very many tools needed either. an 8 dollar HF grinder a good ratchet set and a floor jack.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM

bump just for the great info.

ahh im still debating way to muck,

zuk mod for the rear and 1.5 " bj's....?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM

Hey Thanks for all the great info. I live in Salem and have some experience working on cars (mostly my 93 corolla LOL!) but non with a 4x4, lifts, and such. Anyone close by that wouldn't mind helping a fellow YOTATECH member out??

Dont know when I would be able to order everything (depending on total cost) You can PM me if you wouldn't mind .
Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 AM

confused

Originally Posted by AxleIke
After MANY, MANY, MANY threads posted about early IFS trucks and lifts for said vehicles, I will put forth my experienced opinion, on having tried EVERYTHING but this lift, and an expensive bracket lift.

First, for looks, level the rear. You can do this by add a leafs, new springs (recomended), or shackles. Blocks are right out.

If you have a 90-95 4runner, you have coil springs, so either new springs or spacers are in order.

1) Add ball joint spacers, but RELAX the T-bars so your lower a-arms and steering geometry are stock. To re-emphasize, LOWER A-ARM and STEERING GEOMETRY SHOULD REMAIN STOCK.

2) Purchase a 2 inch body lift. I recommend 4-Crawler, as he is a vendor here, and it is always good to support our vendors.

3) Purchase a 2inch drive train lift. Again, 4 crawler is where its at.

4)Purchase a high clearance, 2inch drivetrain lift, transfer case crossmember and skid. I recommend Budbuilt, though use ANTISIEZE on all bolts.

Put on 33 inch tires.

This combination will give you added flex, clearance, and capability. It will not cost you and arm and a leg. It will keep your front end together the longest.

Personally, I have tried every which way to do my suspension without spending a fortune on a bracket lift, or swap, and without doing a body lift, since body damage prevents me from doing so. From everything I've tried and seen, the combination above will provide you with the most economical, capable, IFS lift.
Okay so maybe I'm a bit special, but having some trouble understanding.

are you saying to pick ONE of the options of listed (I NUMBERED IN QUOTED REPLY 1-4) or to do all 4 of them? Also if I'm wanting to fit 33s mtrs, with a level truck, do I need to first off purchase shackles, (what size to level?) Then Pick The options?

Thank you
Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, haven't been on in a while. No, the list is the things to do all together. It will net you a good bit of ground clearance while helping to maintain the stock steering set up as best as possible. High angles on the tie rods ruin the idler arms very quickly. You can go for a Total Chaos idler, but this was for those looking to do things on a budget.

It also depends on your wheeling situation. I put that up as a high abuse type set up. If you are mostly just doing back roads, sand or other things, then you certainly can go with other options. I had dual transfercases, a front locker, gears, and both 33's and 35's on my truck. The steering was a constant battle.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Ike this set up is good advice . Ive kept suspension stock(no bjs) with lockers no failed cv's yet on 33x11.5's . only rebuilt the idler with 4 dollar mcmaster car bronze bushings once .very capable offroad , and reliable . my crosmember is crushed ,bent ,and lame. gets stuck on rocks alot . so the 4crawler drive train lift is a must for me .