YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Offroad Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2003, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Talking In-Cab Winch Control Using OEM Switch!

I just finished this mod over lunch today and am pleased with how it turned out. The alternate power mirror switch location in the dash makes a great spot for an in-cab winch controller. I found a spare power mirror switch for $20 at a junkyard and wired it to my X9. Slide the top switch to the left and push the button for “In” and slide the switch to the right and push the buttom for “Reverse.” I toyed with getting a rear window switch and using the spare hole in the center console, but wanted to try this one out first.
Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
I will eventually have a built Toyota (Tacoma or FJ) some day again . . . for now I have a station wagon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is a trick idea indeed.
Did you just take an extra controller lead and cut the end off, then wire it to the switch?

That would make a great addition to the Tech area if you have the wiring info and all on how you did it.
FJ Cruiser BuildupNew Roof Top TentVideo Of My Penthouse Part IIRehinge Your ARB/Engel Fridge
Blog About Roof Top TentsFJC Magazines Online Review Of My TentMy Camping Gear Review Blog
"Hey Corey, where is my thread?"
Missing your thread, then click
here

http://yotatech.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3&dateline=1270301800
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

All I needed was an accessory hot and then two wires out to the control box. Pushing the center pad to the up position is the only one that activates the winch - i was going to wire it to activate when the pad is pushed in all four directions but it got too complicated for my blood. It's a very simple hack wiring job. The X9 just uses two solenoids and only has three wires for the controller, but the concept would apply to other control boxes as well. I'd be happy to do a write-up for the Tech section.
I will eventually have a built Toyota (Tacoma or FJ) some day again . . . for now I have a station wagon.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to jx94148
I've had my winch controller flopping around the dashboard for several months. Its quite irritating. I have a switch just like that in a Subaru with a dead motor. It may find a new life running the winch.

I gotta get the good parts off that car before I take it to the crusher.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's a nice mod. I'm a big fan of buttons. I also like redundant/unnecessarily complicated controls, I don't want a rocker switch, I want a toggle, a rocker, and dual key ignition, dammit!

OLD: '90 4Runner SR5 auto v6 150k
NEW: '85 long bed xtra cab 5spd 22R 200k
NEW NEW: '89 Ford Taurus SHO, 137k Miles, 650 miles after I got it : water pump takes a shizzle, now I'm knee deep in a front maintainence from hell. Even broken it's faster than the 4Runner
Old 05-21-2003, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Is that switch designed to fit in that hole? I have been wondering what I could put in there. My mirror switch is on my door panel.

F-Toy #081 in progress
Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71's, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37's, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to L33T35T 4Runner
Quote:
Originally posted by Los Gatos?
and dual key ignition, dammit!
that's something i would like
Old 05-22-2003, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to jx94148
I forgot to explain why I moved this topic. Anythng winch related is considered an Offroading modification. Winches really aren't used on road, therefore it belongs in the Offroad mod forum.

Lots of topics will be moved in the near future. Its an attempt to reduce traffic in the overcrowed "SUV and Truck" board and get people to use this board and the Maintainence board when applicable.

On behalf of the Yotatech Staff, thanks for you understanding. By no means is it meant as a way to scold or punish members.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
Is that switch designed to fit in that hole? I have been wondering what I could put in there. My mirror switch is on my door panel.
Yes, in 4runners without power windows, the power mirror switch is in that location. There's a plug for it and everything behind the panel. My regular mirror switch is on my door panel as well.

I agree with Los Gatos, the more buttons the better! I just like them to look clean and as close to stock as possible. I was also thinking it would be cool to use the new mirror switch to control a motorized spotlight.

Last edited by transalper; 05-22-2003 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Mack Send a message via AIM to Mack Send a message via Yahoo to Mack
That is a very cool mod!

What did you use to create the white lettering on your switches????

Mack's Bigger Better 4Runner Page coming very soon!

1989 Toyota 4Runner Canadian Special Edition

Want a link to your web pages on Mack's friends page?

Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights makes a left
Old 05-22-2003, 04:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack
That is a very cool mod!

What did you use to create the white lettering on your switches????
Thanks. I am still working on the lettering. For the top two letters I simply used a permanent marker to convert the "L" to an "I" and left the "R" alone. I printed the word WINCH onto a mailing label and cut out a small peice of clear packing tape to cover the WINCH sticker. I am still looking for a better printer paper/sticker for the winch label.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to seafarinman Send a message via Yahoo to seafarinman
Way cool idea. For my rig, I went to Radio Shack and picked up a DPDT momentary switch and jumped the two negative terminals together, and connected one termial on each end to the in/out solenoid control terminals in my solenoid box through the back and under the box making for a sano though non-factory appearing setup.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Here's the install write-up in the Tech section:
http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...transalper.htm

I got to test it out this weekend! Did some winch landscaping and pulled a couple shrubs. I did it real early in the morning so none of my neighbors would see and ask me to winch out a bunch of shrubs for them.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ric
Banned - User requested

now thats just too cool, you guys are awesome,,,, when i get a winch, i know what ill be doing...
Ric
Old 05-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
built, cab, control, controlled, controller, home, make, motorized, move, remote, slide, switch, toyota, truck, winch