Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the best brand of winch (besides Warn)
Mile Marker
25.30%
Ramsey
44.58%
Summit
0%
Superwinch
13.25%
Tabor
3.61%
Other
13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Which brand of winch is the best (besides Warn)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have never used a milemaker till now but over the last 10 years have had many problems using both warn and ramsey winches.

it may have been the use or to much of an angle of pull trying to bring a quad up a hill or out of a very deep tree shot where they were stuck

the other winch i have had was a rand which which give you a dead pull rating but new toyota play truch ahs milemakers at both ends
Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been stuck more than once. That is part of rock crawling.

I just won't buy the argument that people refuse to spend money on something that only gets used occasionally.

If I buy it, I plan to use it. If I use it daily, or yearly, I want it to work without a doubt. Anything besides Warn puts a doubt in my mind.

I guess my advice then is, if you don't really need one, then don't buy one. If you need one, buy the best.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I guess my advice then is, if you don't really need one, then don't buy one. If you need one, buy the best.
Couldnt have said it any better myself. I love my HS9500, it has never let me down and it gets used almost every trip, either on my own rig or somebody else's. There is a reason that almost everybody i wheel with runs a warn of some sort.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Warn.

It is a piece of equipment that not only potentially holds your vehicles life, but also maybe yours or someone elses life in the balance. Besides, Warn has excellent customer service should you need parts or service, which is worth a little more IMO. Recovery equipment is something you should never skimp on.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

If you want to go say how great Warn is go start your own thread and stop hijacking mine. How many times do I have to say that most everyone already knows Warn's reputation and I didn't want that info flooding this thread. This is supposed to be for people who are looking for a brand besides Warn. And obviously from some of the other posts you can see there are quite a few happy customers with brands who didin't die or lose their rig to the rath of Mother Nature because their Ramsey, Mile Marker, Superwich, et cetera failed them. And do I need to point out the post were one user (gasp) didn't like Warn in the mud?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

runnerSR5,
you have to get use to thread hijacking, its almost a way of life here, you ask a question, and people are going to answer, wether you like you like the answers or not, people are going to answer, if you dont want people to hijack your threads dont start one, use the search button, every topic has been covered, Im not trying to be mean, or bust your chops, i know how ya feel about staying on topic, instead of complaining, you could have asked politly to please get back on topic, or please read the first thread, something like that. but people here are very nice and they are giving you their opinion, some have had a number of winches, and letting you, and others know what works best, in hopes you wont make the same mistakes they did. hope this helps. if it even makes sense.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:58 PM

t-max
Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 AM

Toyota PTO and Toyota Electric winch's are some of the bes tin the business.

I'd also consider a Mile Market Hydraulic, but ONLY if you are going to use it hydraulic over electric.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

I got a mile marker 9000 in exchange for swapping out the cluch on my friends truck.

I have not installed or used it yet, I need to get something to mount it in.

I like the idea of a hydraulic unit because there are no elecrtics to fry, but That does not seem to be a common problem.

The cons I have heard is the engine has to be running for the power steering to run and thus the winch. I was thinking though, if the engine is stalled for some reason, couldn't you put the truck in neutral, push the clutch start cancel button and turn the engine over? I don't know if that would generate enough RPMs to get enough fluid moving through the pump.

The other con to the mile marker is it is painfully slow. If getting out quickly is a must (say on a crowded trail) then I guess it would be a bad choice. My thoughts are if I am stuck, I am not moving, If my winch is pulling me out, I am no longer stuck.

so far this probably sounds all anti mile marker, but their web site touts the fact the military swapped out the warns for mile markers on humvees.

Here is my personal game plan:

1. I will install the mile marker
2. I will go get stuck
3. I'll attempt to extracate myself.
4. I will run the mile marker till it breaks (I will wheel with people with a warn)
5. If the mile marker totally sucks, I will replace it.

I have not looked at prices lately, but I don't think a Ramsey is much cheaper that an equivelant Warn.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 PM

I thought I read that Toyota power steering pumps will not work well with hydraulic winches.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That is what I have heard too.
Will not work with the Toyota pump, unless something has changed.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'm ready to get a winch (was thinkin "I need a winch" this evening as I went the long way in the dark), but I'm trying to fit one into a tight area. I like the compactness of Ramsey's. Can you mount that box that sticks up on the side of Warners some where else ?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you mean the external solenoid, yes.
Just get longer cables.

I plan on mounting mine under the hood sometime.
The box now covers up the work Toyota on my grille, and I rather like seeing the name up there, so the box will be moved some day.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM

T-max. Hands down the best winch other than Warn... I used a few different models both old and new in Australia nd they all worked flawlessly, and the new models that they're coming out wiht a re just adding to the durability of an already tough product.

Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM

After six hours of using a Hi Lift and a cable com-along to move 2 toyotas 1.5 miles in the snow, I finally broke down and bought a winch. We now have both, a Mile Marker 8000 and a Harbor Freight 8000 version. Both have worked well for us. Understanding, Warn is "probably" the best, we were able to buy 2 less expensive winches for less than the price of a good Warn. That included a 15 month no questions asked warranty from Harbor Freight. Just my opinion and experience.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Yeah im not one to buy anything without first researching it but like alot of other members there isnt much out there to read other than what they offer as testimonials on their site, and the handful here and there. So what the hell I bought on on ebay for $599 shipped has the sealed controller box and wireless control. That said I will wire this one up similar to my last 95 toyota pickup with the rear window switch controlling the winch line in and out. I just pulled the switch head off of a warn controller and wired it in to the window switch and just kept the plug end the same and plugged it in when I wanted to winch from inside it was pretty nice.

Aaron

Last edited by xcmountain80; 01-17-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT296594.aspx

good reviews on it so far. maybe i should have bought two of these rather than my m8000