Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best header for 22re

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best header for 22re

I have been trying to get a header from Northwest Offroad for the last month and a half now and I am really starting to get frustrated about it. I had heard some really good things about the quality and ease of the installation of the NWOR header. I guess what I want to know is if anybody has some suggestions about an alternative to this header. I want something that will bolt straight in and will not leak down the road.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:45 PM

I've got a .LC Engineering header (and exhaust system).
Great stuff.
I think they're stainless steel now (even better). Mine is when they were using ceramic coated stuff. sounds great, good customer service
Old 08-28-2003, 07:13 PM

if your looking for direct bolt on drop in header with minimal effort, do not, i repeat DO NOT get a hedman,
i love mine like you wouldnt belive but dang that thing was a biznatch to install, grinding and custom making exhuast stuff, oh well though, its awsome for power, sounds good to!
later
wade
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 PM

Re: Best header for 22re

Originally posted by brad@lexus
quality ... ease of the installation
Those words do not belong in the same sentence as NWOR, some of their stuff may be OK but I won't buy anything from them because they're a-holes. No Warranties Or Returns, that's what NWOR stands for.

I've also got the LCE headers, they're pretty damned good. Whatever header you go with, I recommend picking up an OEM gasket from you local dealer. The aftermarket ones aren't made to the same specs and most are just paper.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:40 AM

I run a NWOR header and it bolted right in w/o any probs. My only complaint is the finish. It'll start to rust a few weeks after installing it. LC Eng's headers are ceramically coated and I believe are stainless as well so it'll look good and last longer. My advice would be to cancel your order and go w/ an LC header instead.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:15 AM

When they changed them over to stainless they stopped doing the ceramic coating as it's no longer necessary.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:47 AM

I'm lucky- mine is from the transition period to the new uncoated stainless headers- it's ceramic coated stainless, the ultimate in durability

I'd definately recommend saving some extra money and getting the LC Eng. header. It is the last header you'll ever need. They produce an increase in power from the bottom end to the top, with the best gains above 2500 RPM. If you add a high flow cat and 2-1/4" exhaust at the same time, the gains are very noticable.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool header

Greetings I have not seen Downey mentioned here. I have a 22r and spent many hours researching and viewing forums on this subject. I was tempted to get the Heddman and most folks said they were junk, then I saw the Thorley and fewer people said they were junk. Most if not all folks said LCE for the header. 1-2 said Downey. I went with Downey cuz i found a new one for sale at a reasonable price. $300 for the LCE was alot of dough, I remember paying $60 for V-8 headers and was shocked at the $300 for I-4 header. I am waiting for the header to be delivered today. Have been tracking it with the UPS website. Then i have to call Downey and order the Cold Air heat riser assembly for carbed engines. Then let the fun begin. Not sure if i will use the LCE stud kit to mount the header. What do youse guys think, is it worth the expense or just use the bolts included in the kit.

Last edited by metalhed; 08-29-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:28 PM

Re: header

Originally posted by metalhed
Greetings I have not seen Downey mentioned here. I have a 22r and spent many hours researching and viewing forums on this subject. I was tempted to get the Heddman and most folks said they were junk, then I saw the Thorley and fewer people said they were junk. Most if not all folks said LCE for the header. 1-2 said Downey. I went with Downey cuz i found a new one for sale at a reasonable price. $300 for the LCE was alot of dough, I remember paying $60 for V-8 headers and was shocked at the $300 for I-4 header. I am waiting for the header to be delivered today. Have been tracking it with the UPS website. Then i have to call Downey and order the Cold Air heat riser assembly for carbed engines. Then let the fun begin. Not sure if i will use the LCE stud kit to mount the header. What do youse guys think, is it worth the expense or just use the bolts included in the kit.
I've got the Downey in my 4Runner. I love it. I'd recommend re-threading your bolt-holes or heli-coiling them while the exhaust is off though as they tend to strip out.

Good luck,

Warren
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Re: header

What do youse guys think, is it worth the expense or just use the bolts included in the kit.
I don't think the kit includes bolts, at least mine did not and I got it straight from Downey.
I have the Downey header for the 22re and really like it. Good flow, nice sound, no leaks at the head. Mine is the ceramic coated model and is holding up well, despite living on the ocean and in an area that salts the crap out of the roads in the winter. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Downey, except that the prices are steep if you buy direct.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: header

Originally posted by MNBOY
I don't think the kit includes bolts, at least mine did not and I got it straight from Downey.
I have the Downey header for the 22re and really like it. Good flow, nice sound, no leaks at the head. Mine is the ceramic coated model and is holding up well, despite living on the ocean and in an area that salts the crap out of the roads in the winter. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Downey, except that the prices are steep if you buy direct.
Yeah. I didn't get any bolts either.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Nobody mentioned anything about the affordable pacesetter header. I think they come in at a little above 100$ for the 22re from summit.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:01 PM

I had a 94 with a LCE header. It was ceramic coated. It has been on 4 yrs now (my sister in law has it now). It has not blued, rusted or discolored at all. It is well made. They are great people to deal with also. Shipping was very fast
Old 09-12-2003, 05:10 AM

Downey Header Review

Greetings Well the Downey is on and all hooked up. Alot of fabricating had to be done. The air injection holes were not aligned and had to be reshaped and aligned. There is no easy way to hook the header up to the down pipe other than a slip joint with a clamp, not the best situation. If you weld this whole thing it would be close to impossible to get in or out of the truck. The collector had to be ground on before welding because the weld would not penetrate or stick very well. Might be a stainless steel issue or a heavy coating of chrome. Still trying to burn off the silicone and plastic smell. The O2 port is blocked off with a plate and it has nylon lock nuts that are melting and stink like crazy. The header has turned blue, but all in all I am pleased, the stock manifold was cracked and in need of replacement. I have noticed an improvement in power usage, I can hold gears longer and actually do highway speeds. There was no noticible seat of the pants power increase. If you are going to but a header, buy the best you can afford. I am please with the Downey and I am going to see if it makes any difference at the dragstrip tonite. later

Last edited by metalhed; 09-12-2003 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 AM

header update

Greetings All you have read above I went with the Downey header on my 22r.

Well after a week or so and a full tank of gas, i can say i have not noticed any Major improvements in power. I have noticed some more available power at highway speeds and easier acceleration to 65 from 50 with the header. But nothing at city driving speeds. Gas milage stayed the same, 20mpg. The driving done on this calculation is a 12 mile highway drive in the AM to work and then 17 home via city streets, weekends is a 30 mile round trip via highway.

Overall i am able to hold a gear longer going up a hill before downshifting and i am please with the extra boost at highay speeds. The only drawback is the overall cost..$225 for the header and then the install price.. I know i should have done it myself but with a job and a partime job and a 10 year old that has something going on everynite, i chose to have someone else install it. These aftermarket parts should be less expensive. My opinion. The only complaint is that the header is a little tight to the upper heat shield and vibrates a loud noise in reverse. Nothing that cant be fixed with a little manipulation of the heat shield. Again all in all I am happy with the product.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: header update

Greetings All you have read above I went with the Downey header on my 22r.

Well after a week or so and a full tank of gas, i can say i have not noticed any Major improvements in power. I have noticed some more available power at highway speeds and easier acceleration to 65 from 50 with the header. But nothing at city driving speeds. Gas milage stayed the same, 20mpg. The driving done on this calculation is a 12 mile highway drive in the AM to work and then 17 home via city streets, weekends is a 30 mile round trip via highway.

Overall i am able to hold a gear longer going up a hill before downshifting and i am please with the extra boost at highay speeds. The only drawback is the overall cost..$225 for the header and then the install price.. I know i should have done it myself but with a job and a partime job and a 10 year old that has something going on everynite, i chose to have someone else install it. These aftermarket parts should be less expensive. My opinion. The only complaint is that the header is a little tight to the upper heat shield and vibrates a loud noise in reverse. Nothing that cant be fixed with a little manipulation of the heat shield. Again all in all I am happy with the product.

Glad you like it. Just a thought....did you reset the ECU after install?

Warren
Old 09-19-2003, 05:04 AM

ecu

Greetings Cant do that dont have one. I am one of the few on this board with out a newer truck. 1984 Pickup Carb'd no O2 stuff or electronics.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:10 PM

pacesetter header

I have a question,I just bought a pacesetter and right now my o2 sensor is up by the manifold and on the header it's down by the cat.I should just be able to extend the o2 sensor wire right?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JEDI87
I have a question,I just bought a pacesetter and right now my o2 sensor is up by the manifold and on the header it's down by the cat.I should just be able to extend the o2 sensor wire right?
I believe the O2 sensors which are placed by the cat are heated to get the proper readings; so they're different.

Good luck,

Warren