Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 first gen t case with dual case no backlash

Old 03-14-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So last fall I installed a trail gear creeper case , used the trail gear adapter. My truck is a 79 so it has the old style transfer case with the tapered shafts . When I went to install it in the fall I had problems mating the two together. I ground a bunch of material off the shaft till the cases mated together nicely . It had some backlash then. Bolted it into my transmission and no more back lash. When all assembled its actually pushing the rear output shaft out and not allowing my driveshaft flange to sit where it usually does. It shifts fine and drives fine with no grinding , noise or heat. I went and pulled my driveshaft off and found gear oil in between the shaft and t case output flange . Has never happened before . Has anyone had this problem before? Is the tapered shaft not compatible with these dual case set ups ? I'm thinking I may have to pull it apart again to inspect for any signs of contact on the tapered shaft that wasn't ground down enough

Last edited by bushrider; 03-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read through both the TG instruction and the marlin instructions and see if there are any differences in assembly. If you followed the instructions for your kit I can't see there being any reason you need to grind anything if they didn't tell you to. Its not a bad idea for you to pull it apart again just to be sure every clip is where its supposed to be and nothing forgotten. It sucks to do it, but then you have the piece of mind.

I suggest going to pirate4x4 and asking there. Way more knowledge about duals over there. Guys on here are all about 33s and asking how to do the grey wire mod on their Tacoma with camo seat covers and chrome wiper arms. Guys on pirate are all about 40s and custom 4 links on a homemade tube chassis.