Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Runner vs. Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno about the bigger FJs (60/80)...they're a bit bigger than 4Runners/Tacomas. I can think of a few trails that would be too tight for them.

Actually, I think that'd be the sweet daily driver.

Keep the newer rig for the trails, where tow-trucks can't travel.

Jim
Old 11-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know, I'm just....about....sold.....on the Tacoma. In the past ~2 years that I've had it, I've had passengers in the back seat maybe 5 times, at most. I've gone offroading 3 times that amount in the past 6 months. Since I'm hoping to buy a house within a year, having the bed will be really nice.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it. But isn't the insurance on a taco cheaper than on a 4runner?

Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
No, its more expensive since its a higher risk vehicle (rollover, trail damage, etc.).
Old 11-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

If I would have gotten a T100 my insurance would have been about $25 cheaper a month but I guess since it those are kinda older.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:55 AM

Personally I would hold out for a fj80 with the locking diff...but for now my truck is great. Although taking the shell on/off can be a pain in the !!!!

The variation of the sticker I have seen goes like this..."yes, this is my truck. no, I won't help you move."
Old 11-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I went from a Ford Ranger extended cab 4X4 (I know its not a Tacoma) to my 4Runner. The reason I wanted the 4Runner is because I wanted to be able to haul around 4+ people comfortably. There is just no room in the back of the x-cab mini-trucks.

I would really like a 2003 Tacoma Double Cab, red, with a fiberglass toneau cover. But then again the Tundra double cab is looking mighty fine too!! Argh too many decisions!!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:21 AM

For me anyway, the insurance would be cheaper since rates are partially based on the vehicle price (Taco is cheaper, thus lower rate). Avg cost to repair is also lower than a 4Runner, which makes it slightly less. 4x4 adds to the Taco but there are many factors in determining your rate.

I love the FJ80, a little modification and they can handle some pretty tough rockcrawling. Check out RealCruiser.com

It also depends on if you are a wagon or pickup guy. There are benefits and drawbacks to both so it's personal preference. I like both, Love the Taco but I get more use from a wagon so 4R for me.

Tacos will keep a tremendously high resale value (especially here in socal). The used car market doesn't lie. People, for the most part, figure out which models are "keepers". Taco=keeper, 4R=keeper.
I know people are all high on the Xterra (maybe because you haven't lived with one) and certainly for a bare-bones, no-expectations suv it is ok. Resale value will tell you across the board it is an "average" on all points. Isn't great, isn't bad. Considering the price of a new one is approaching the base price of a new 4R, it's a ripoff. I think the Xterra is a solid $19K truck, no more.
Comparing it to a Taco, the Taco is so much more solid and well built- Inside and out. The Xterra might be more trendy and flashy but so what, Miami Vice was cool once too. In my book, quality counts more. I had my share of trendy and quality is a better deal.
I think the Taco's rear seats are easier to get into and about as roomy. The Taco isn't nearly as tippy, the materials are higher quality and the fit&finish is really good (see I can't stick my fingers in the gaps on a Taco, I can all over the Xterra). Besides the fact a Taco is better off road.

If you're buying new, resale value alone should sway you to the Taco. If you think the Xterra's is bad now, wait till the new Xterra comes out and the current ones will be worth nothing- maybe good to pick up if you want a cheap trail rig to thrash.

sorry it got long but my opinion based on ownership and by association (my next door neighbor and good friend has a Taco 4door)
Old 11-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

I love my 4Runner, no question, but now that I'm offroading on a regular basis, and rarely ever need the backseat for people (my dog likes all the space thoough), the Tacoma sounds like it'll be better for what I like to do. A double cab might be a little too long on the trail, anyone know the wheelbase numbers for the 4runner, Tacoma ext. and dbl cab?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:45 AM

Isn't the wheelbase the same? I thought the overall length was a bit longer but otherwise it's just swapping bed for interior space?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheelbase for the dcab and the xtra cab are the same, as is the overall length. The regular cab obviously has a shorter wb.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 AM

...and I think the 4Runner is somewhere between the Reg Cab. and X/Dub-cab Tacos.

Jim
Old 11-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

I hope to have the best of both worlds. My wife is considering a Double Cab Taco when the Ford Windstar finally croaks. (Could be in the next year or two) She likes the trucks, especially the Pre Runner Style Double Cabs, but is happy to have the 4Runner when it is raining on the way home from Costco, and when waking up to a snowy campground.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Nice pics, George!
Doesn't really look like you guys hunt for this scenery... more like you just happen across it

My completely and totally UNbiased opinion:
Doublecabs are awesome!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:46 PM

Ive always wheeled in a p/u (big bros,dads,uncles & so on), nice because when you see some fire wood stop and throw it in there. I hunt ALOT so you can just throw your game in the back, the dogs can ride back there when they get wet. So when it came time for me to get my 1st rig I got a 82 toy fun little rig. Then I started looking for a 85 some thing, the first thing I found was a 85 runner , got a good deal on it so thats what I ended up gettig. The biggest Advantage Ive found is you can sleep in the back, no more setting up that tent. so now Im planning on a basket rack so I can put my game up there. And the dogs well... now I smell like wet dog after are trips. So its kinda a toss up.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:18 PM

Over the past 8 years or so, I've either sold a truck for a SUV or vice versa... Mainly due to the reasons brought up here., cargo space vs Passenger space.
It took me this long to realize that I really needed both, a truck and SUV.
In 99 we bought the 4Runner new and it has been great for camping trips, long road trips, etc.
We the recent purchase of a home, it was almost essential to have truck for the move, pickup materials etc.. I bought an 89 awhile back to do the job and it was awsome to have both. God knows how many trips to Lowes, Home Depot and local lumber yard were made.
The dowside was the I got the bug and I started eyeballing the newer Tacos. I now have an 02 TRD 4WD X-Cab and 99 LTD 4WD 4Runner. I'm a happy camper and as someone mentioned here, best of both worlds!!

Last edited by CTapia; 11-28-2003 at 09:22 PM.