Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Runner vs. Tacoma?

Old 11-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've moved a few people and myself ...
a bit off topic but i saw a funny bumber sticker in LA a few months ago on a tacoma that said

"No, I'm not helping you move"

Bob
Old 11-16-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Flygtenstein
They do not have a boxed rear frame though, IIRC. That annoys me and I remember at least one dude trashing his rear frame because of a bumper and carrier.
I think that was Tankota...but I'm really not sure. I don't think the boxing would've helped him on that one...the tire-carrier/bumper was just getting too much leverage being so far out.

I think he ended up plating the frame to overcome that problem...

If you bob the bed of the Tacoma you wouldn't have trouble at all...far easier than bobbing a 'Runner.

Jim
Old 11-16-2003, 07:16 PM

My wife has a 2nd Gen. 'Runner, and I have a "2nd Gen." Tacoma.

I'd say my Taco feels a whole lot more sporty. Even with my sway-bar off, I take the corners much faster...even with people/gear inside.

As for trails, yeah, in the Taco I feel like I can do a lot more...but that could be because the 'Runner is her's.

They're very different for purpose though (as Toyota intended).

Jim
Old 11-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Smile Runners

I have driven and been able to use both a Taco and Runner for long periods of time and in different situations. If i were to judge them in off road capability, i would have to say the Taco has its major plus with Lighter Body, but I dont really enjoy its on road handling and ride. The 4Runner to me is an all around wonderful SUV with outstanding capabilities on and off road. It does have its faults though with heaver set and higher point of gravity. This is a hard decision for me, because they are both great and that greatness come with the name "TOYOTA"
Old 11-16-2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by jruz
I think that was Tankota...but I'm really not sure. I don't think the boxing would've helped him on that one...the tire-carrier/bumper was just getting too much leverage being so far out.
Shoot, you want heavy bumper and leverage? You need to take a close look at my rear bumper sometime, 225lbs by itself... The frame has held up just fine, they built them strong back in the day. Stout Equipment knew how to build bumpers worthy of a tank...
Old 11-16-2003, 07:40 PM

Hehe...actually I think it was a Stout bumper...

Damn, I'll have to dig-out that info and post some links...

Jim
Old 11-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by sschaefer3
There is also a "mentality" difference. Pickup versus SUV.
Yes, I agree. There's something cool about taking a SUV to places where nobody would think it should be.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shane
Shoot, you want heavy bumper and leverage? You need to take a close look at my rear bumper sometime, 225lbs by itself... The frame has held up just fine, they built them strong back in the day. Stout Equipment knew how to build bumpers worthy of a tank...
You know, there is such a thing as being too heavy!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Yes, I agree. There's something cool about taking a SUV to places where nobody would think it should be.
I always thought it was "you have to be mental to take that 4runner there"
Originally posted by Robinhood150
You know, there is such a thing as being too heavy!
Mabye, but I'll tell you driving up a mountain pass in the dead of winter sure is a lot more relaxing with the added traction.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Good point, Shane.

Last year's first rain of the year my bed felt real light and I slowed down on the freeway once I felt some less than normal movement coming from the rear.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

When you talk about movement in the rear, were you talking about yours or the vehicle's?

I may have come up with a third alternative that is a bit off topic from this thread, but will mention it anyways- I've been sneaking peaks at FJ-40's in the Seattle area lately. Keep/return the 4runner more towards stock, for long trips and comfort, then have a fun vehicle for the weekend, with solid axles, and a removable top for the one day of sunshine we get in Seattle.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
When you talk about movement in the rear, were you talking about yours or the vehicle's?

I may have come up with a third alternative that is a bit off topic from this thread, but will mention it anyways- I've been sneaking peaks at FJ-40's in the Seattle area lately. Keep/return the 4runner more towards stock, for long trips and comfort, then have a fun vehicle for the weekend, with solid axles, and a removable top for the one day of sunshine we get in Seattle.
Crusier parts are VERY expensive. An old vehicle will need lots of mechanical work. I have over 3K in this and that engine/mechanical/maintence in our FJ-62 which is also alot newer.

If you want an FJ-40, that's great but be realistic and realize it will require alot of money, you could sell your 4Runner and invest in the FJ-40. But to think your gonna buy a $2500 vehicle with 100's of thousands of miles and expect to have all this money for "mods" is a high school boys wet dream. These old vehicle are really nice but require $$$.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 AM

I had a 93 and a Tacoma xtra cab before I got my 94 Runner. My wife has a 99 Limited so I've compared a lot. People in my family still own those trucks so I can put them all side by side. I have thought of buying a Double Cab but don't know yet if I will.
I like the Runner more than the Tacoma because of interior space. We camp a lot. You can sleep inside if needed.
The 4-Runners are just plain nicer inside. They all have front bucket seats. I have only seen one Tacoma with front bucket seats (other than new Double Cabs).
Double Cabs are only automatic. I hate this.
All 4-Runners have a fully boxed frame like the old minis.
The 99+ 4-Runner Limiteds and 2001?+ base models have the Multi Mode AWD system.
The 4-Runner handles better in the snow without having to add weight etc in the rear.
The trucks are easier/cheaper to lift in the rear but have a sloppy feel.
You can haul nasty stuff (I have to take my garbage to a dump) in the back of a truck without worry.
There are a lot of pros and cons, but I think I like the Runners better. But you can't go wrong with either as long as it says Toyota.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

4Runners are also nice at the drive-in movies;just park backward and open the back and lounge in comfort with plenty of pillows and munchies.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have owned both. A 98 Taco LTD TRD, and my 96 and 00 4Runners.

The truck was better off-road. It was easy to throw rakes, shovels, gravel back there. It was the perfect vehicle for the new house.

Once the house was established and the yard work was done, I got sick of the lack of room for people. That is why I got the 4Runner.

If I could do it all over again, I would have sold the Auto Taco and got a 5-speed SR5 Taco and just stuffed riders in the x-cab .

Dont get me wrong, I am happy with the 4Runner(s), but the truck was great for yard work. Kinda depends on where you are in life...

the 4Runner(s) seem to hold their value a little better too.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Well, thats a good point as well- I may be buying a house within the next year or so, and plan on doing alot of yard work/house repair, etc. myself. Unless I get a small trailer to haul stuff, the Taco would be better.

Steve, point well-taken about the Land Cruiser. If it happens, it would definitely be a long-term project car.

Ultimately, its not about the money, but functionality. You ever heard the expression, you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig? I think a 4runner is a great compromise vehicle- multi-passenger, good on-road behavior, and good off-road behavior. There's only so much you can do with it though. Just because you can put a lift on a mini-cooper doesn't mean you should spend the time and money to figure out how to do it, and at the end of the day, you just have a mini-cooper with a lift. There are going to be compromises regardless of what you pick, if you could only pick one (either tacoma or 4runner). However (again, off-topic from the main point of the thread), if I have my druthers, I'll have the 4runner, and a LC specifically for off-roading and fun. The 4runner will keep me more than happy until the LC is built up enough to start wheeling it.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
a bit off topic but i saw a funny bumber sticker in LA a few months ago on a tacoma that said

"No, I'm not helping you move"

Bob
HAHA! I need one of those, for sure. I think I helped with 8 moves (including two of my own) in the last 2 years.

I love my truck. I went from the '87 Subaru GL college car to a 2001 4 cyl Taco 4x4 in '00. Then this summer I traded it in for an '03 TRD. I bought truck originally mainly because:
-I preferred a truck to an SUV
-I have dogs that ride back there
-I have lots of gear
-Tacomas are so cool

I do wish I had more seating. I'm not a big fan of the doublecab, but I know that some people like them. If I had to do it all over again, i'd have done it the same. TACOMA XCAB.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:31 PM

I've had '02 4Runner and now have '02 ExtCab Tacoma.

I really liked the 4Runner for daily driving. It's better driving experience than my Taco, I can't really point out why. Maybe cause it had a power moonroof. Maybe cause it was the Sport Edition. Maybe it's the power rear window. Maybe cause it was cool to pick up 4 of my friends in this nice silver SUV (especially after it got washed and waxed). A lot more bling bling in a 4Runner IMO.

However, I also mtn. bike and/or rock climb just about every weekend. It's hard to carry the mtn. bikes internally and when done so, only me and one other can ride. Plus, even with the back seats down, you still have to remove the front wheel. I needed a hitch but a 4 bike hitch rack is $$$$$$. I couldn't pony up the money for 4, so having a 4door SUV only carrying 2 people and 2 bikes sucked. Not to mention all the tire and bike-caused scratches on the 4Runner rugs/roof.

On rock climbing trips with 4 people, we can barely fit all our gear inside. (How many crash pads can it fit with 4 boulders?) That was disappointing. Another small bit, was that the rear seats don't fold flat on '02s, so sleeping in the back was poor. I'm only 5'8" and my girlfriend is 5'6" and we barely fit in the back with the gate closed. Also, there’s a lot of internal volume, so it takes a long time to cool down in Arizona summer. My taco cools at a much faster pace.

Along came my '02 Tacoma. It puts the U in SUV. Although I don't consider my truck sporty, I know plenty of S/C Taco's that are rightly called sport utility vehicle. With the extended cab, I can still carry 4 people. Note: A lot of mtn. bikers and climbers are skinny! I don't recommend anyone over 5'8" in the back. We can toss our dirty gear into the truck without care and still have plenty of room left. With the shell in the back, we've had many comfortable nights car camping, especially in the rain where we can leave the back open and still not get wet! On top of that, the 4x4 and rear locker has allowed me to access a climbing location that I couldn’t previous reach with 4Runner, a big bonus.

For what I need and do, I love the utility of my truck and I should have bought a truck in the first place.

What do you need, not want, and which vehicle would satisfy those needs better?

my two cents,
Hong
Old 11-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I knew I'd get at least one comment like that
Old 11-17-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Crusier parts are VERY expensive. An old vehicle will need lots of mechanical work. I have over 3K in this and that engine/mechanical/maintence in our FJ-62 which is also alot newer.

If you want an FJ-40, that's great but be realistic and realize it will require alot of money, you could sell your 4Runner and invest in the FJ-40. But to think your gonna buy a $2500 vehicle with 100's of thousands of miles and expect to have all this money for "mods" is a high school boys wet dream. These old vehicle are really nice but require $$$.
Early 90's FJ80...oh yes, one day it will be mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4Runner vs. Tacoma?