99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Brake Guides
Browse all: Toyota Tundra Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Used 02 Tundra V6 -Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used 02 Tundra V6 -Need advice...

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an 02 Tundra for what seems like a killer deal. It's only got 65k on it, was owned by an elderly gentleman as a farm truck and sparingly used (obviously) until he suffered from a stroke about a year ago and his nephew is trying to sell it off for him. A couple dents and dings, but it seems like it was adequately maintained (it rides great). I'm a little concerned with the fact that some 00-03 Tundras were recalled for frame rust issues, though. There is some surface rust here and there under the truck but I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid about a truck that's been sitting out in the country for 13 years and it's just showing some normal wear and tear.

Does anyone have experience with Tundras from this generation, has owned or currently owned one? Pros/cons in general? I'm looking for advice on what to look for in terms of red flags for this year model that might be bigger problems down the road. Taking it to mechanic on Monday but would like to specify certain areas to point out to him. I'm in inland Florida, by the way, so it hasn't suffered extreme winters at least. Would appreciate any thought or opinions anyone has. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my '00... But its a v8..

The frame recall was actually only for the rear cross member where the spare tire carrier is attached. Also, the lower ball joints had a recall due to poor design. Front brakes can be an issue by warping after only like 5k-10k miles (or sooner). Rear axle seals like to leak and can be expensive to repair.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really appreciate the info, 4907. That's all good to know. Yeah, I knew the recall involved the cross member but also heard that that could end up affecting the rear brake line...