99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota Tundra 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra 4wd conversion

After looking at all the taco and 4runner conversions and looking pretty carefully under my truck, i decided to start a 4wd conversion on my truck. I'm starting with a 2000 4.7 V8 2wd Limited Access Cab and i'll end up with a more or less factory IFS 4wd setup. I have seen some SASed tundras but I think I may be the first to do a stock type conversion (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

At the same time, i'll be putting in a diff drop, putting in new 5100 adjustables in the front and 5100s in the back, re-gearing for larger tires in the future, switching to TRD front springs, new ball joints and polyurethane steering bushings which should fix all the slop in the old suspension and steering.

Yes, i could have sold the truck and bought a 4wd model, but I didn't want to. I like my truck, it was a graduation gift and i plan to keep it for a long time. I could have done a SAS instead but that is big money for a tundra, more downtime, lots of cutting and an IFS setup is capable enough for me.

After doing A LOT of research, I've found that the procedure is very similar to a tacoma or 4runner swap with a couple of exceptions pretty much all of which are because of the torque from the v8. There is a lot more in common with these trucks than people realize.

Things that are exactly the same as tacos and 4runners:
  • spindles
  • front diff
  • rear gears
  • transfercase (i think)

Things that are different:
  • front CVs (inner different, outer the same, shaft 3" longer)
  • transmissions (externally the same but NOT internally the same)
  • driveshafts
  • transmission cross member (different from 2wd tundra)

And finally, the status of the parts list:
  • spindles - 2003 tacoma w/ ADD and ABS
  • front diff - 2001 tacoma, 4.30 gears electric ADD control
  • rear gears - 2001 tacoma, 4.30 to match front diff
  • CVs - new 2000-2006 tundra
  • transmission/transfercase/crossmember - 2003 tundra
  • front drive shaft - 2003 Tundra
  • TRD springs - 2001 tundra
That only leaves the rear drive shaft to buy but I'll get on that soon. I'm still waiting for all the parts to come in, but I'll get pictures up asap and document the hell out of the whole process.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:40 AM

pictures

dust shields on my CVs were damaged in shipping:

ADD Diff:

everything so far, the rear gears are back on that table:
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool thread caligula! I am interested to see how this works out for you.

I have a 2000 sr5 AC 4x4. If you need pics or anything, let me know and I will do my best to help you out.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by zlathim
Cool thread caligula! I am interested to see how this works out for you.

I have a 2000 sr5 AC 4x4. If you need pics or anything, let me know and I will do my best to help you out.
Thanks, i've stuck my head all the 4x4 tundras i've seen parked on the street to check out how different things were mounted while i was researching the swap, but that would be much easier.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM

What is the "ball park" estimate of how much the conversion is going to cost you? Specifically parts?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 PM

I'll try to snap a few photos tonight. I'll get them on here, but maybe not until tomorrow...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by thebusine$$
What is the "ball park" estimate of how much the conversion is going to cost you? Specifically parts?
$1500 in conversion parts

$800 in upgrades/maintenance that needed to happen anyway (shocks were shot, ball joints, rear seals, O2 sensor)

$0 Labor

hopefully i can get some $ out of the parts i pull. all in all not to expensive considering all the used parts have half the miles of the rest of my truck, the drivetrain only has 15k on it!

I'll try to snap a few photos tonight. I'll get them on here, but maybe not until tomorrow...
awsome, i'll be putting up more pictures as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 AM

Sorry caligula, I had to attend a preschool function for my son last night. I did snap a few pics, but I am thinking that they are worthless because they don't show much. I think the best thing to do is jack it up and pull the wheels (and maybe the skid plate)in order to get better pics. I'll get some this weekend and post them up.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 AM

Sorry caligula, I had to attend a preschool function for my son last night. I did snap a few pics, but I am thinking that they are worthless because they don't show much. I think the best thing to do is jack it up and pull the wheels (and maybe the skid plate)in order to get better pics. I'll get some this weekend and post them up.
thanks, i didnt mean for you to have to go to all that trouble, but it would be nice to have as reference.

I'm going to pick up the transmission, transfercase and driveshafts this afternoon so I'll have some pictures to put up here tonight as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Not big deal, It is time for a thorough visial inspection anyway. Besides, this site has helped me out a bunch, I'm just trying to give a little back.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:24 PM

more parts!

picked up the transmission, transfercase and both drive shafts on the way home from work. all off a 2004 with only 15,532 miles!!

here is everything:

transmission:

this F on the bell housing really threw me cause i was expecting a U, thought they had mixed it up with a v6 some how pulling the part off the shelf, but they didn't.

transfercase:

torque converter and front drive shaft

rear drive shaft

ring and pinion:
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Very cool.
I have not seen a conversion before of this kind.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 PM

front shocks and springs done

moved the TRD coils on to the new Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks today and got them on the truck. it wasnt all that hard and the spring compressor didn't give me any trouble at all, did it all with a ratchet. also looked like it had never been used before so that may be why.

on to the bilstein

ready to install

the drivers side didnt go as easily, the inner fender is different and made getting to the back nut impossible. quick cut with a dremmel helped.

before/after

now it sits nice and level, a little high in the front but it will come down with the differential and axles installed.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 AM

Nice work caligula. At this rate you will have your truck fully converted before my slacker a$$ gets any pics for you.

I hope to get some today. If not, just consider me a flake...
Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looking good, good to know more toyota stuff is easily converted to 4x4
Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 AM

shock boots

i forgot that i needed the dust boots from the stock shocks on the new bilsteins so i took the stock ones apart this morning. the top nut was so rusted i could only get it off far enough to get a hack saw blade in. now to tear the front half of the truck down again to put the boots on . . .

Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 AM

caligula- I sent you a pm.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM

boots went on in about 2 hours.

i'm stuck waiting on spindles, ball joints and CV dust boots then i'll be ready to finish off the front end. next is re-gearing the rear diff. i have some electrics to sort out before the tranny is ready to go in and i'd like to test the drive train controls on the bench before installing. the next big hurdle is finding a 4wd ecu and pigtail.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 AM

spindles arived

I recieved the spindles last night so except for a front diff drain plug i'm all set to put the front end on this weekend. The dust shields needed a bit of unbending, but i'm going to swap on the tundra shields to match the tundra calipers anyway so not a big deal.

The bearings and hub are in great shape and a test fit confirmed the tundra CVs fit like they should. i'll get some pics of the prep work on the spindles up tonight.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm looking forward to the update.

Quick Reply: Tundra 4wd conversion