99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Test Drove a T100 last night, *need your help*

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove a T100 last night, *need your help*

So i'm thinking of buying a t100. Overall I loved the ride, very comfortable.

I do have a couple questions though.

I've never driven an automatic before, and I noticed that this one realy clunked into reverse. No other gears but reverse...Is this typical?

The tranny also seemed to be making a small noise at times like something was ratttling inside of it. How can you tell if the tranny is starting to go out?

also it seemed a little underpowered at times (3.4l V6) like I was pressign on the gas but not accelerating really.....

thanks for any comments

trevor
Old 09-16-2005, 07:54 AM

Unfortunately it is relatively normal for a tranny to clunk when placed in reverse, but it is not something i would say is normal for T100's.

As far as being underpowered, thats not too normal, i've never had any problems with my T100 delivering too little of power.

but they are great trucks, i do reccommend them.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Obviously, I highly recommend a T100 as well. I've owned three total... great trucks. They were made in Tokyo, so they have the Japanese build quality that the Tacos and Tundras lack (not that they are sluffing on quality though).

The tranny issues don't sound normal. I'd have that looked at before buying it... depending on the price.

What kind of mileage are you looking at on this T100? I've got 173K on mine right now. The ride and handling are still great. The engine still sounds great and the drivetrain is solid... mine was well cared for by the previous owner.

As far as underpowered, I find that to be a matter of perspective. The 3.4L can handle the T100 just fine as well as haul/tow without a problem. Now, if you are used to a V8 Tundra then you will feel like the T100 is underpowered. If you are used to the much smaller Tacoma with the same 3.4L, again, the T100 will feel underpowered. It isn't a racecar, its a truck. =) Although, it can take a same year Triton V8 F150 off the line (they are much heavier and their power to weight ratio is lower).

Joel
Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 AM

thanks for the comments...I think I'll have the tranny shop take a look at it.

here's the specs on the truck

Auto (not sure if I like this)
118K miles
extra cab
DX
$7K

I know these are pretty rare so I think the price is right.

HONGER I think your right aboutt he under powered ness. I used to have a 99 4runner with the 3.4l and it was pretty quick and responsive. that's probably why I thought his was underpowered. but you're right, it's a truck.

BTW what are you guys getting for MPG with the 3.4L?

THanks,
Trevor
Old 09-16-2005, 10:12 AM

I tend to have a small ping or clunk when I shift into reverse. Sound just like the gears switching to me, heard it for years now.

While I will agree that the 3.4 isn't all that bad on power, it isn't the best. I haven't had problems with it at all. Not too fast not too slow.

As far as MPG i'm getting right at stock or better. But I wouldn't use my numbers as a good indication. 14-15 city (it's ATL so its not great) 18-19 hwy

Specs:
1997 T100 SR5 Xcab
4" Procomp IFS Lift
33x12.5x15 Procomp Xterrains
Flowmaster 40 series (cutoff just past muffler)
K&N FIPK
toolbox-with tools even
GoRhino brusguard & nerf bars - more weight
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Another vote for the T100 here.

I notice when mine goes into reverse more than other gears, but I wouldn't call it a clunk. However a sign of a strong transmission would be to hear it go through the gears as you hold the truck with your foot on the brake. The rattling you're hearing could be a dried out speedo cable, fairly common and nothing to worry about.

With an auto tranny you get 4.30 gears and you have to get on the skinny pedal a little more than you do the manuals with 4.10's to get it going. It also does a slight nosedive when you take the foot off the skinny pedal at driving speeds, more than a manual because of the lower gears. Knowing what I know now about the T100's, I'm glad I found an auto, but I like the pep on the manual T's that I've driven. I'm just not into shifting anymore.

The manual T100's had problems with a clutch bracket at the firewall that cracks and requires repair. Some other weak spots in the firewall require additional welding, but that might have been on later models. The seatbelts don't retract, ever. Currently there is a Toyota recall on all T100's for a power steering problem, but I can't recall any other big recalls for the T100. Honger maybe could confirm this or provide more accurate info.

I think the 3.4 has decent power for a V6, but interpretation of power is up to the individual driver. I watch my gas mileage very closely, and I routinely get 19mpg in town and 22mpg on the highway. I also like the ADD, though I seem to be in the minority among T100 owners. Granted the manual hubs are stronger, but I don't like having to get out and turn the hubs, especially when it's cold and snowing.

The miles and price sound OK for the year, especially if its been regularly maintained. The overall condition of the interior and body will give you an idea of how the previous owner took care of things under the hood. Be aware also, that there is very, very little aftermarket support for the T100s, and even finding OEM parts can be a real pain.

All that said, I like my T100 better than any other truck or Toyota SUV that I've owned. Reliable, capable and comfortable -
Old 09-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Bagger, that is a respectable price for the truck. Offer 'em $6K cash and I bet you'd have a new T100.

Also, don't shy away from the auto other than the potentially odd sounds. Perhaps offer to pay for a tranny inspection of the seller will consent. I love my auto tranny... had the chance to keep my manual version which was peppier, but I stuck with the auto. Taller gears and convenience.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Well the truck sold, so I was pretty bummed. But another one just popped up in the Classifieds. It has more miles 191K but knowing toyota quality and the 3.4l, I dont really mind as long as it checks out okay.... I'll keep you'll posted.

hopefully I will be a proud T100 owner soon.