99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

t100 power mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t100 power mods?

I did a search for this and it didnt come back with anything. Anyway I have a buddy with '95 T100 and he is looking into doing some simple fairly inexpensive and easy power upgrades. He also said he is having a hard time finding a cheap intake for his truck, can you do the deckplate mod on t100's? What other kinds of thins have you guys had luck with (throttle body spacers, computer upgrades, new plugs and wires?) thanks any help is appreciated.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:41 PM

Yeah, there is a deckplate mod how to in the How Tos section.

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/perf.html#deckplate

Also look at the resonator removal mod. Go here http://www.top4runners.com/ja/perf.html#deckplate and read. Then, go here https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...take/dr_z2.htm and read again. Should get you a few HP. I haven't had the time to do this myself yet.

other than that, the T100's 5VZ-FE can be supercharged or turbo charged. You'll need a new ECU, the deckplate mod, new injectors, and a better fuel pump. I found an article on how to do this, but I cannot find it ATM.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the links, ill check those out and tell my buddie about them. Its probably something he would be interested in since he is looking to go the cheapest route, that would mean any forced induction would be out of the question.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chi_San

other than that, the T100's 5VZ-FE can be supercharged or turbo charged. You'll need a new ECU, the deckplate mod, new injectors, and a better fuel pump. I found an article on how to do this, but I cannot find it ATM.
None of these are necessary with the SC except the fuel pump. All you need to go SC'd is the UDR kit from Gadget. Just thought I would point that out - not trying to be a jerk.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
None of these are necessary with the SC except the fuel pump. All you need to go SC'd is the UDR kit from Gadget ...
Not trying to be a jerk but - I have yet to here from anyone that has made an SC work as advertised on a pre-'97 T100 even with Gadget's kit/mod's.

HIGHRLR, TRD headers, a cat-back with stock diameter pipes (single) and a Magnaflow muffler should do the trick.
Consider a R.A.P.S. in place of a cheap intake and/or deck plate mod.
Also, I suggest you save your money, avoid the rest (throttle body spacers, computer upgrades, aftermarket plugs and wires?)
and stick with OEM.

Last edited by WATER MAN; 05-11-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATER MAN
Not trying to be a jerk but - I have yet to here from anyone that has made an SC work as advertised on a pre-'97 100 even with Gadget's kit/mod's.

HIGHRLR, TRD headers, a cat-back with stock diameter pipes (single) and a Magnaflow muffler should do the trick.
Consider a R.A.P.S. in place of a cheap intake and/or deck plate mod.
Also, I suggest you save your money, avoid the rest (throttle body spacers, computer upgrades, aftermarket plugs and wires?)
and stick with OEM.
It will be interesting to see what Gadget has to say about your claim. How do you figure that a Ram Air intake on a SC'd 4Runner will help the notorious 5VZ lean-out problem? In addition, how do you figure that headers and a muffler would help. Please explain.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:32 AM

It will be interesting to see what Gadget has to say about your claim. How do you figure that a Ram Air intake on a SC'd 4Runner will help the notorious 5VZ lean-out problem?: :
We are talking about a N.A. T100. 4Runner's are on another forum.

In addition, how do you figure that headers and a muffler would help. Please explain.
These mod's helped me get more power at mid and high rpm's on my '96 T100.
Very nice when towing and merging into traffic.

Again: "I have yet to here from anyone that has made an SC work as advertised on a pre-'97 T100 even with Gadget's kit/mod's."

Last edited by WATER MAN; 05-11-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

We are talking about a N.A. T100. 4Runner's are on another forum.
Read my response to Chi san again. He specifically mentioned some of the mods needed to make a turbo or sc'r work on the 5VZ (after all, we are talking about the same engine, T100 or not)

So then you stepped in, and mentioned a bunch of mods and failed to mention that we were now talking about a NA engine. I was not aware of our abrupt change from forced induction to NA.

These mod's helped me get more power at mid and high rpm's on my '96 T100.
Very nice when towing and merging into traffic.
Check my sig. I am well aware of what those mods will do.

Again: "I have yet to here from anyone that has made an SC work as advertised on a pre-'97 100 even with Gadget's kit/mod's."
Again, we will see what Gadget has to say about that.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:58 AM

Read my response to Chi san again. He specifically mentioned some of the mods needed to make a turbo or sc'r work on the 5VZ (after all, we are talking about the same engine, T100 or not)

So then you stepped in, and mentioned a bunch of mods and failed to mention that we were now talking about a NA engine. I was not aware of our abrupt change from forced induction to NA.

Check my sig. I am well aware of what those mods will do.

Again, we will see what Gadget has to say about that.
:wtf: I'm just trying to help HIGHRLR help his friend with his NA T100.
His friend is looking for "some simple fairly inexpensive and easy power upgrades." That's what I offered.
Do you even own a T100?

Last edited by WATER MAN; 05-11-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

:wtf: I'm just trying to help HIGHRLR help his friend with his NA T100.
His friend is looking for "some simple fairly inexpensive and easy power upgrades." That's what I offered.
Do you even own a T100?
Dude, why are you so defensive about this area of the forum? I wasn't aware of territories established by Corey and Chris here on Yotatech. I am free to roam about where I see fit.

The T100 and the 4Runner share the 5VZ. Why is that so hard to understand?

How many times do I have to say that my response was to Chi san? Just drop it. This is highly unproductive.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM

I'm sorry. I was tying to help the person that started the thread.
You <96 Runner> just reminded me why I don't frequent this forum.

Later --

Last edited by WATER MAN; 05-11-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:11 PM

Okay, first things first. Regardless of the vehicle, you will have a severe leanout problem if you use stock injectors with a SC and stock fuel pump. This will cause your EGT to get very hot, and will shorten the life of the truck/SUV.

If you don't plan on Forced Induction, the stock injectors should be fine. Headers and exhaust should help regardless of SC or not.

I did read an article where the author put a Supercharger on a 5VZ engine, and used a kit with it. It came with slightly larger injectors and a voltage stepper for the fuel pump. Together, they did not help the leaning problem at all. Only with 300cc injectors and a nice 35% overvolt on that fuel pump did the author get the EGT to remain at the peak temp for power.

Last point, there aren't a lot of things you can do for massive power boosts in a T100. The deckplate mod and removing the deresonator can give a little boost, a new exhaust system could give a little more power. Maybe a snorkle could act as a ram air scoop, but might screw up the lines of the truck if it isn't done right, or if you have a street only truck like ours (never going to OR it).
Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Water Man- you said to use a cat-back single with stock size pipes and a magnaflow muffler, couldnt a guy just cut out the stock muffler and instal a magnaflow? Would a high flow cat help maybe?

My buddie is comeing home from college this weekend and I think we are gonnna try out the deckplate mod since I bought the deckplate and screws and what not a while back for my tacoma but I never used them, so I am just gonna give him the parts. Is the airbox in a '95 t-100 pretty much the same as a '98 tacoma by chance, I think i still have my K&N laying around somewhere?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by HIGHRLR
Water Man- you said to use a cat-back single with stock size pipes and a magnaflow muffler, couldnt a guy just cut out the stock muffler and instal a magnaflow? Would a high flow cat help maybe?
Yes, that is the best method and don't mess with the cat.

If you will never install headers you can move up to a 3" cat-back.
I had one on my truck and it did boost power without any loss at low rpm's.
I had to pull it when I installed headers - all my low end was gone.
Hmmm - I think I still have that 3" system in my shed ...

Originally Posted by HIGHRLR
My buddie is comeing home from college this weekend and I think we are gonnna try out the deckplate mod since I bought the deckplate and screws and what not a while back for my tacoma but I never used them, so I am just gonna give him the parts. Is the airbox in a '95 t-100 pretty much the same as a '98 tacoma by chance, I think i still have my K&N laying around somewhere?
I have to admit I came real close to doing the deck plate mod. I still have all the parts in my garage. After reading many post I decided it was a waste of effort. Turns out the OEM air-box and OEM filter deliver the best performance and protection.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 PM

I'd do OEM airbox, but removing the stock airbox is more of a PITA than I'm willing to put up with ATM. :p

Oh, and the airbox on my Subaru Legacy is worse. MUCH worse. We're talking, removing the right fender AND right inner fender to remove 6 feet of tubing that bends, twists, and turns for NO APPARENT REASON. You have to remove the front right tire, too. Such a PITA!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:22 PM

Christian is right. Now and Eternally

None of these are necessary with the SC except the fuel pump. All you need to go SC'd is the UDR kit from Gadget. Just thought I would point that out - not trying to be a jerk.
I have a 1998 T-100 SR5 Ext cab 4x4 that is in GREAT condition. I bought the TRD SC this past Spring for $2K, then added a slightly smaller pulley, thinking that was all I needed. TRD may say that - but Gadget is the authority, especially on Toyota 3.4L sixes. And reality is, plan on totalling up about $5K, if you're serious and you want the vehicle to last.

I had already purchased the TRD SS headers, had them ceramic coated, and installed them and some I22 Iridium spark plugs just before I installed my SC. I then read about the "lean out" problem TRD superchargers have with the OEM ECU fuel system/controller at the upper RPMs. I did not want my pistons burning through - any more than the next guy.

So I bought the URD kit, which has all you need, including the upgraded fuel pump, Bosch larger (URD modified) injectors, the Split Second Fuel map controller, and the 170 degree thermostat. I also purchased the wideband Air/Fuel Ratio sensor and its readout. I installed it all myself - except the wideband sensor bung that gets welded into the header collector. A good recommendation from Gadget got the weld job done for me, "same-day" service for $30.

A note to the wise about exhaust system mods: Be careful. Believe me, you can take GIANT steps backward. The backpressure and/or sound you end up with, can be heaven or hell. After severe trial and error, I finally ended up with a hi-flow cat with 2.5" pipe and a Walker ST muffler, then dualing out into two "tips". But before that, I went through 3 mufflers that killed my low-end torque and sounded terrible before finding something that worked out. I wasted about $200 on that lesson.

Cat-Backs are a big craze right now, but I think they're "up there" with the psycological HP rather than the true Dyno at the rear wheels. Stock Toyota muffler and cats are very efficient and perform very well.

Admittedly, the T-100 is slightly different than current prod. models, now being extinct. But it still has "it all" and is a fine truck. In place of the "deckplate mod", you just remove the snorkel tube both in the airbox bottom and the bend going into the fender, (us land-lubbers, anyway). Then use a high flow quality air filter. Now you've got good flow in and out of the OEM engine.

Lastly, the auto trans with the mushy shifting (for the car-like ride) has to be modified or you WILL burn it out quickly with the added HP. I highly recommend IPT of New Jersey. Doing a Valve body mod to mesh the clutches faster, so they don't ride against each other between gear shifts and heat up will save your tranny and please your senses during driving. The cost at IPT is less than $500, (incl. S&H) and I did the R&R myself. I was afraid of it at the onset but their instructions were clear and John Lombardo's support was first class+.

Same with the URD stuff. It is all packaged in kits, and you never found better support or customer satisfaction ANYWHERE.

So that is my performance bolt-on history to date, (I also have a very nice sound system, but that is for another day). Good luck to all you Toyota owners. The vehicles are finely designed when you get them new and then they also modify nicely.