99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Engine Guides
Browse all: Toyota Tundra Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Idle Problem... Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Problem... Please Help!

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Tundra with the 4.7L, the problem I am having is when I drive the truck for a few miles aka get it hot, and turn it off and then minutes later get back in the truck and start it, tends to idle @ extremely low rpms and stalls when I let off the gas. It will have this low idle for about five minutes before it will stop stalling at stop lights. I have been experiencing this problem for about four months and I have checked the vacuum lines and replaced the spark plugs, but the problem seems to be getting worse. I have 65k miles and do not run the air. Do you guys have any insight on this problem? The only thing I have not done yet that it could be is the fuel filter????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIN
Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Tundra with the 4.7L, the problem I am having is when I drive the truck for a few miles aka get it hot, and turn it off and then minutes later get back in the truck and start it, tends to idle @ extremely low rpms and stalls when I let off the gas. It will have this low idle for about five minutes before it will stop stalling at stop lights. I have been experiencing this problem for about four months and I have checked the vacuum lines and replaced the spark plugs, but the problem seems to be getting worse. I have 65k miles and do not run the air. Do you guys have any insight on this problem? The only thing I have not done yet that it could be is the fuel filter????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you cleaned your TB and changed your air filter lately???
Those are the first things I would check.

Good luck
Old 05-22-2004, 04:18 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

I just had my idle problem fixed. It was idling at high and low rpms intermittently and just driving me crazy. I cleaned the MAP, changed the air filter and reset the computer and it would be ok for a day but then start doing the same thing. All this time there was no check engine light. Well finally last week it did trip a check engine light and my mechanic told me I had a faulty throttle position sensor. I got that replaced and my engine has been back to normal. I hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATER MAN
Have you cleaned your TB and changed your air filter lately???
Those are the first things I would check.

Good luck
I think Mr Water here is on the right track...expect a dirty intake and TB, a bad TPS sensor woudl have erract rpms all over the place at idle. I don't think it's necessarily a bad air filter, but it never hurts ot check it.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies fellas,
I replaced the air filter with a k&n about a year ago, and this weekend I cleaned it. As far as the TB goes I will do that in the next few days and tell you my results I hope this fixes the problem. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

hmm...K&n. you might have coated the MAF sensor with the oil. I know my 4Runner did the same when it's MAF got coated with the K&N oil and basically had low RPMs...didn't quite get to the point of stalling, as I cleaned the wire with alcohol and a q-tip, before it got to that point. I haven't looked at the Tundra's MAF sensor on how it works, but I imagine a wire also inside of there. Try this, pull the flexible plenum (the 4" hose that goes from the airbox to the TB) and feel the inside of the flange on the airbox. Is it oily? If it is, that might be your problem there.