99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-23-2016, 02:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To Fix Broken Rear hatch handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Fix Broken Rear hatch handle on a 2002 Sequoia

How To Fix Broken Rear hatch handle on a 2002 Sequioa

I don't take credit for this write up. I decided to post this up here to help other forum members who may have been stuck with this same problem. I had difficulties finding a step by step instruction. After searching the internet, I found several instructions. I've simplified it here and added a few comments based on my own experience. It's a quick 1 hr job (did it by myself). All you need is a Phillip screwdriver, 6" extension, a 10mm socket & ratchet, long nose needle pliers, and a flat head screwdriver. I can't believe the dealer is charging a ballpark figure of $350-$450 to do this job. That's a ripoff. I think my wife can do this job...it's that easy. Side note: I bought the full metal one off ebay, but the craftmanship was poor (rivet holding the spring was not placed correctly and the pin looks weak/soft). Therefore what I did was transfer the metal latch from the ebay assembly to the original OEM assembly. Easily done by just removing the pin. I don't think the latch on the new OEM ones are metal yet (I could be wrong here).

1. Take off the license plate (2 Phillip bolts)
2. You can open the rear hatch from the outside with a screwdriver type tool with a slight bend on the end. Point the tool up to find the lever. Once you find the lever pull down to pull the lever. Note: make sure that the hatch is unlocked or it won't open. If you can't open the door, continue to follow the instructions...there will be 2 opportunities to open the door.
3. Roll the rear glass up to give you access. If you got the door open, you can work from outside the truck.
4. Remove the pull-down strap. The cover for the bolt comes off easily by pushing upward on it to expose the 10mm screw/bolt
5. Pop off the interior trim piece. Remove them carefully and pull straight out to remove them. Personally I did the large bottom piece first, then the 2 side pieces. I did not remove the top piece. Note: When removing the large main piece, after "popping" the lower half, it has to be unhooked from the window by pulling it up and over the metal rail
6. You now have access to the inside of the hatch. Remove the three round rubber grommets
a. Through left hole you can see the mechanism to unlatch. (if you couldn't open the door, now is your opportunity...press it down with a screw driver and open the door
b. From the left and right access holes, locate the two 10mm nuts which hold the license plate assembly to the door and remove them
7. Behind the large trim piece you will find 2 metal access covers to take out: The left one has 4 10mm bolts (you don't have to take this one off but doing so gives you an opportunity to have easier access to the bolts/clips), the right one has about 6 (but is attached to a bunch of electrical cables…disconnect the cable, then remove the bolts), then pop the 3 white tabs and remove the panel
8. If you haven’t open the door yet, you can see the black metal cable attached to the broken handle; pull the cable to open.
9. DO NOT TOUCH any bolts with round rubber/foam pads under them. These are for the window regulator or the wiper bracket and don't need to come off to replace the handle. The only nut you need to remove is ONE 10 mm nut on the key-lock tab. The key-lock is connected to a brittle plastic tab on the license plate/door handle assy. Make sure this is removed and popped out of the way before trying to remove the license plate/handle assy. Otherwise the plastic tab will break
10. There is a white plastic cover covering the cable attachment point, remove it by pulling down and away from the assembly, it clips onto the assembly bracket and helps secure the cable to the lever attachment point. You can now release the cable from the assembly, remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the license plate recess cover and the nut holding the key cylinder assembly and then remove the cable assembly bracket, (two nuts). Disconnect the cable from the handle assembly by reaching in from the right hand side and popping of the cable from the handle assembly.
11. Then there are 4 plastic tabs that come in from the outside that hold the license plate assembly on in each corner, try and locate those and using some pliers squeeze them together and push it through
12. Next locate the license plate lamps wire connector and release that from the left side, it’s the simple push in and pull out square white connector
13. Now the license plate assembly can be taken to a bench to replace the handle assembly (Toyota doesn't sell just the handle, it is a small assembly). Two screws out and the assembly is replaced

Last edited by jrmd01; 12-31-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Thanks for your detailed post.. I hope to make good use of this tomorrow. I'm sick of lifting heavy stuff up through the tailgate window since the handle is broken.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Yeah this is a very common problem for the sequoia's. I bought two off of ebay (metal ones for me and a friend) and so far so good.