99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Gas Mileage/gas brand

Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Mileage/gas brand

With the price of gas being so high and all the attension on gas mileage I was wondering if any one has seen better mileage with one brand of gas verses another. I always buy my gas by price rather than brand,but I haven't even tried to see if one brand gives better mileage than another. Have any of you guys?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 AM

Do tests..... Fill up at one station one week and fill up at a different station another week and keep track of mileage per tank if your driving habits are reasonably the same from one week to another.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

What is really funny is that after all the gas prices went through the roof.....I am now getting 40-90 miles more out of the tank then what I was before....so I am doing better in the long run.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 AM

I think that the differences between one brand and another would be so small that there is no way you could duplicate the exact same driving patterns for two full tanks of gas. Just my $.02.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may make a tiny difference, but most likely not enough to really change brands. We watched a video for my GM training about the different types of fuel and on one clip they showed different trucks filling up at the same refinerey. The narrator said the gasoline comes mainly from the same refineries, but each company add their own detergents and whatnot to help with moisture.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 AM

The difference between brands really stands with the individual. I only fill up at shell of chevron, and if there is no other coices i go 76, and i always go premium

but about the only reccomendation that i could make is to pick a gas station that is always busy. Gas stations that are less busy have there gas sitting and you could pick up deposits which would in turn keep your engine from working at optimal rate

just my thoughts
Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard that grocery store gas doesn't have some of the extra additives that the major chains add and those additives are usually a good thing.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM

I've heard, and even think I've found that Shell gasoline gives you better mileage. I'm just talking about regular too, not V-Power.

I'm not 100% sure if it's really better or not b/c I've never really tested it enough, but it does seem like I do get better mileage.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Its all the same gas. I passed the place where the tankers fill and they all got the same gas. They had Wilco, BP, Amaco, Petro and every other gas brand you can think of was seatting waiting to fill. What I allways say is you can't change the gas price so BURN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ToyotaTRD; 10-13-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Fuel Economy

I was averaging about 15.6 mpg on shell gas before installing my K+N drop in air filter. Now im averaging about 20mpg but i also dont gas it at every stoplight. I kinda just let the truck speed up without pushing the throttle to much. I do half city and highway driving and when im on the highway my tailgate is down... when i was gettin 15.6 it was up. Thumbs up for K+N filters
Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
Do tests..... Fill up at one station one week and fill up at a different station another week and keep track of mileage per tank if your driving habits are reasonably the same from one week to another.
I have started doing this so far Chevron,BP and Sams club. Which brings in what X-AWDriver said driving the same as much as I could I got almost 2 miles per gallon less on Sams Club gas. The Chevron and BP were almost identical.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 AM

True that most of the gas stations in an area get their gas from the same refinery, but all compaines have different addivitive packages. There is little difference from company to company, but there is a difference. We have a refinery in my town and from what i've heard from the guys that work there BP is the best in my area with their addivitve package.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 AM

K&N, Headers and better flowing exhaust will make your engine work more efficiently. THis will improve your milage considerably... at a cost that will take 1-3 years to recover from with the gas savings. It depends on how much you drive. I'm getting around 18 MPG consistently.

The comment about getting an extra 40-90 miles per take. I'm willing to bet it's a mental thing as a result of the high gas costs. I used to fill up every week and not give it a second thought. Now I'm filling up every 2 weeks and getting an extra 75-100 miles per tank. Last week when I filled up I had 411 miles on the tank. I know I've made an effor to keep my foot out of it. I guess you could say I drive like my dad now. Getting much better gas milage. It's not as much fun, but keeps the gas costs down. There wouldn't be a "full throttle" if you weren't supposed to use it right? :-)

Z
Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Alot of it,particularly it seems with the 3.4,is driving style. I've been recently driving my mom's '99 Limited and I've been able to bring her MPGs down to what my '99 gets.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Contributing Member

My dad once did a MPG comparison of the different brands. He then compared the MPG to the cost per gallon, and figured out what the best brand was. It was Shell. This was in California, comparing the main brands available in CA. This was probably a decade ago.

My dad's Nissan Sentra recently had problems with the fuel sending unit, so he took it in to the Nissan dealership to have it the problem fixed under warranty. They told him not to use generic brand gas, and to always stick with major brands from busy stations (reason sighted in an above post). They're most highly recommended brands were BP/Amoco and Shel, fwiw, then Conoco/Phillips. (Note: these recommendations were formed from the brands available in CO).

So, for my Taco, I almost always use BP/Amoco and Shell, and have found good mileage out of both. Haven't done a true comparison between the different brands though. Plan on it though.

Last edited by youngbuck; 10-30-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 PM

I have never noticed a difference in performance, so to me gas is gas. Tundra manual calls for regular so I save $4.50 each time I fill up by avoiding premium. This is interesting though... I was told once by gas attendent that you should avoid buying gas when the tanker is pumping at the station b/c that mass amount of gasoline stirs up all the crud that sits in the bottom of those huge wells. Imagine an old gas station with a storage well that has accumulated sludge for years on end; you don't want that stuff pumped in your tank if you can help it. something to think about