YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Broken cam gear alinment pins

I am working on a 4.7L v8 from a tundra. Both cam bolts where broken off, but cam out with my fingers. Now, I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the alinment pins. I am not sure how this happend, I am just trying to salvage the engine. Valve train is other wise fine.

Right side Cam bolt
Click the image to open in full size.
Left side: (both sides look like this now)
Click the image to open in full size.

I assume that the pins are hardened steel?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Small Motors, Big Tires, Deep Gears

FUNrunner87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

The best way I can think of would be to use a stud welder. The kind used to pull dents in body panels. Weld a stud on 'em and use the slide hammer tool that comes with the gun to pull 'em on out.

Second best way would be to drill 'em out with a cobalt steel drill bit. Unless they start spinning...then you're screwed there. Pardon the pun.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

Worked on one cam for about 2 hours tonight and wile I could drill into it, I couldnt get it to come free. The hole is all jacked up now, and the cam is already in the trash. Ill find a used set on car-part.com.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Super Moderator
Staff

Ugh..... Is the 4.7 an interference engine? If so, I'd be a bit worried seeing both those cam bolts and pins sheared that there is internal damage someplace.

FSMs (many missing references as of 2014) TSBs
P/N & diagrams (source for OEM parts on east coast)
PNW OEM Parts source - Titus-Will Toyota, Tacoma, WA

Advanced Search
Forum Rules
Know them. Abide by them.
rworegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworegon View Post
Ugh..... Is the 4.7 an interference engine? If so, I'd be a bit worried seeing both those cam bolts and pins sheared that there is internal damage someplace.
yes, the 4.7L is an interference engine. Took the pass head off, valve train looks fine, and there are no marks on the pistons. I plan to pull the drive side head off tomorrow to make sure everything is fine on that side too.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNrunner87 View Post
Worked on one cam for about 2 hours tonight and wile I could drill into it, I couldnt get it to come free. The hole is all jacked up now, and the cam is already in the trash. Ill find a used set on car-part.com.
If you are still looking for a set of cams, I can pull mine and sell them to you. I'm in the process of swapping out my motor with another one. So, the old one will more than likely be parted out....

I also have a complete 2UZ-FE block that only has 5000 miles on it I'm trying to get rid of. Otherwise, I may keep it and build it up later. Send me a PM or email me at dyogim at gmail dot com.
dyogim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
If you are still looking for a set of cams, I can pull mine and sell them to you. I'm in the process of swapping out my motor with another one. So, the old one will more than likely be parted out....

I also have a complete 2UZ-FE block that only has 5000 miles on it I'm trying to get rid of. Otherwise, I may keep it and build it up later. Send me a PM or email me at dyogim at gmail dot com.
Hey, I spoke to you on TTORA, my user name over there is Yotaoffroad. I actually found a complete set of cams on Ebay and bought them, just find out I needed to replace the heads too. I found a set of heads and they came with cams... So now I have 4 sets of left side cams, and 3 sets of right side..

so if anyone wants a set of cams... PM me. Ill cut you a SWEET deal!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNrunner87 View Post
Hey, I spoke to you on TTORA, my user name over there is Yotaoffroad. I actually found a complete set of cams on Ebay and bought them, just find out I needed to replace the heads too. I found a set of heads and they came with cams... So now I have 4 sets of left side cams, and 3 sets of right side..

so if anyone wants a set of cams... PM me. Ill cut you a SWEET deal!
LOL!!! I thought it was since, the locations were the same but, wasn't sure. You can use those extra cams to build the block I have. Still working on those misc. parts for you. Will let you know as soon as possible.
dyogim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
LOL!!! I thought it was since, the locations were the same but, wasn't sure. You can use those extra cams to build the block I have. Still working on those misc. parts for you. Will let you know as soon as possible.
Hahahaha!!!! I have wasted.. I mean spent enough money on this dud of an engine already.

Just let me know once you have figured out what parts you are going to sell. I use TTORA more than here, I got a notification in my email to check this thread.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
47, bolts, broken, cam, camshaft, dodge, gear, mi, pin, shear, sprockets, tacoma, timing, tundra, v8