YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2004, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to slyang1012
battery with blue crust on negative?

guys.. im rewiring my hellas for the rear.. and when i openned my hood.. theres this blue crust on the neg and some on positive.. is there anything wrong?.. i hoooked it up iwth the instructions it came with.. and it works fine... i drove with them on for a long time when i was up in arizona.. but the blue crust???? anyone .. thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BigA
The blue crust is oxidatoin. The best way to take care of it is to mix baking soda and water and pour it on the battery. Let it sit for a few then scrub off with a tooth brush. Or you could just take your coke out of the cup holder and drench it in that stuff (it will do the same thing). Once you do that take some dielectric grease and smere it on the terminals.

Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Send a message via AIM to slyang1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA
The blue crust is oxidatoin. The best way to take care of it is to mix baking soda and water and pour it on the battery. Let it sit for a few then scrub off with a tooth brush. Or you could just take your coke out of the cup holder and drench it in that stuff (it will do the same thing). Once you do that take some dielectric grease and smere it on the terminals.

Andrew
hmm.. thanks!!.. do you know y that happeneds??
Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BigA
Its a common thing, its just a little bit of corrosion. All batteries are capable of doing it. If you coat the terminals with the dielectric grease, the corrosion will stop. And just keep the terminals clean and greased and they will stay happy for a long time.

Andrew
Old 11-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

It is funny how some batteries/vehicles tend get that corrossion more than others. I have had real good success with those red and green felt pads that go under the terminal, put them on and no more corrosion. They cost a couple of bucks and are available at any parts store.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStew
It is funny how some batteries/vehicles tend get that corrossion more than others. I have had real good success with those red and green felt pads that go under the terminal, put them on and no more corrosion. They cost a couple of bucks and are available at any parts store.
Get a gel-cell sealed battery and no worries anymore. The corrosion is due to leaking acid or vapors from the battery. Dont wheel with a regular battery or you are asking for trouble and/or injury. Make sure you wear safety glasses when you clean the terminals as acid residue in your eyes hurts like all get out.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
acid, battery, battry, blue, cable, clean, connector, crust, crusts, leads, positive, residue, stuff, terminal, terminals, yotatech