99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

07 Sequoia engine died and won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Sequoia engine died and won't turn over

Hello Everyone,

My wife's 2007 sequoia had symptoms of a dead battery the other day. I was able to jump it and she took off to the store. It died on her just down the road. Now the damn thing won't turn over either. Lights come on on the dash but when you turn to start it nothing. I had the battery checked, it's good and is fully charged (eliminating alternator). Cleaned all battery connections so we are good there. I would lean towards starter but that doesn't answer why it was running then died. Maybe the transponder in the key went out? I would think that might cause it not to turn over but not die when it was running. Someone suggested camshaft positioning sensor, I unplugged it and still nothing.

I'm at a real loss here guys. I need some help please.

Thanks,

Casey
Old 07-28-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I kind of wonder why the forums are kind of empty in this category?

From the cases I've read, some have turned out to be breaks in the wiring involved with possibly fuel delivery, igniter module, and even MAF (if your model has one) and less likely to be components like fuel pump/filter. Basically bad wiring connections and integrity. Quite a PITA to trace and troubleshoot, but that's typically what you're up against. And yes, rodents have been known to be possible causes.

Unplugging the cam sensor will register an error reading to your ECM and yes will not crank over.

Learning how to use a multimeter to check continuity (an important measurement for this case) would be where I would start if you want to take this on and not take it to a shop. Continuity will tell you if there are any breaks in the sensor/component wiring. And since it's not starting, the starter might be worth checking too, as it could be more than one issue.