99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

01 Tundra 4x4 Cold Start Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Tundra 4x4 Cold Start Trans Problem

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here. I used to have an account here but it must have been deleted due to inactivity.

I'm working on a 2001 Tundra Limited 4x4 Access Cab with 80500 miles on the original engine and second transmission. I replaced the battery today because the old one gave me about 2.6 cranking volts. Belt was squealing like mad because the alternator was trying to fill a dead battery and the belt was loose in the 1st place. The owner is getting a belt from the dealership as I type this.

When I first tested it, the alternator put out 14.10v on the dead battery. Now I'm getting 13.6v. So soon the alternator will need to be replaced. Is there a flat-rate time available for this engine?

My main issue is a cold start 'slipping'. When it first starts in the morning, and you back out and shift into Drive, you have to give it a ton of gas to get going. If you shift to 2 or L, the truck drives normally until it warms up and then you can shift to D and all is well. (This thing handles better than my Seq!) Shifts great and accurately, no issues once it's going.

It will run just fine all day long, it's just the first start of the morning that it gives you grief. Has anyone experienced troubles like this? Where do I start diagnosing this? I've looked at the actual members in use in D-1st and L-1st and they seem to be the same with L holding another clutch or something (can't remember). So the common parts must be working fine. There are 3 4.7Ls among us, this Tundra, mine, and an 05 Seq. The dash gauge shows a voltage drop (and subsequent pickup) when I shift into Reverse or a Forward gear from Park or Neutral. Might this have anything to do with this?

My instructor mentioned the pump might have excess clearance, but I'm semi-doubtful because the truck only has 80500 miles on it. If anyone could help, myself and the owner would be eternally grateful! I'll find out how many miles are on the trans and will see if there is any warranty or extension due to the replacement.

Thanks,
John

PS, why does the Tundra ride so much better than it's fat brother? This one I'm working on is an 01 and it handles so much better through corners than my 04.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM

I spoke to the owner today to verify if the trans still has issues. He started it Friday morning to go to work (changed batt on Thursday) and there was no slipping at all, trans acted just fine.

My theory is that with the nearly shot battery, at startup the alternator was trying to charge it and the battery was sucking so much current that the transmission valves didn't get enough. I could be totally off-base here but the only thing we did was change the battery, service the electrical system, clean the engine compartment, and check the trans fluid level.

If you have a similar issue, check the charging and starting system. Best case scenario, a new battery might fix it.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 AM

the alternator does not replaced. a 12 volt alternator when opperating properly should and will put out about 13.6 volts
but unfortinatley i dont have anything else for you